• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Fall Signature Auction
5 5

307 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I believe that they do, although I can't say with certainty.

They probably do but I wouldn't touch this book until I see it reholdered.  And if I was consigning it and knew it to be a label error I’d want it fixed... and if the person consigning knew the cf was detached they wouldn’t want it fixed...

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

They probably do but I wouldn't touch this book until I see it reholdered.  And if I was consigning it and knew it to be a label error I’d want it fixed... and if the person consigning knew the cf was detached they wouldn’t want it fixed...

I would but then a GLOD would realize a lower sale price especially if an uneducated buyer or one who buys the label not the book went after it.  CGC would fix it at no cost shipping included I believe if it is a QC error which it has to be, imo.

7 minutes ago, telerites said:

I would but then a GLOD would realize a lower sale price especially if an uneducated buyer or one who buys the label not the book went after it.  CGC would fix it at no cost shipping included I believe if it is a QC error which it has to be, imo.

To clarify... I meant if I was consigning it, and I knew the cf was not detached, I’d want it fixed... as in blue label that doesn’t say “cf detached.”

In other words I don’t trust the motives of the seller on this one.

11 minutes ago, szavisca said:

To clarify... I meant if I was consigning it, and I knew the cf was not detached, I’d want it fixed... as in blue label that doesn’t say “cf detached.”

In other words I don’t trust the motives of the seller on this one.

I would want it fixed regardless of whether or not I was selling but I would most likely ask for blue label and take the lower grade for the it on detached CF.  I still wish they would note both grades on the label and put a blue on  it with that grade being the primary similar to double covers.  

Edited by telerites

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

I would want it fixed regardless of whether or not I was selling but I would most likely ask for blue label and take the lower grade for the it on detached CF.  I still wish they would note both grades on the label and put a blue on  it with that grade being the primary similar to double covers.  

That makes perfect sense.  Wonder why they don’t do that to begin with.

5 minutes ago, telerites said:

But according the grader's notes, the cf isn't actually detached. 

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

But according the grader's notes, the cf isn't actually detached. 

True. Either way a QC error so it would be nice to find out which it is and if just the label is wrong and shouldn't have said CF detached, it would be even more impetus for the seller to have it fixed and get a higher hammer price?

16 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

As someone who has a book up for sale in this auction that "sold" some months ago, I can say that bidders defaulting happens.  Maybe more frequently these days than it used to. 

Then Heritage should take those sales out of the sales archives, and GPA should similarly remove those sales, because those were not real sales--they never completed.  Does your new listing show the previous recent sale?  

All of the sales I'm referring to show up in the sales archives.  When I open up the current listing, down in the body of the listing it shows the listing(s) for the same book's previous sales on Heritage, including the most recent sales that I've been citing.  So unless told otherwise, I have to assume that those were completed sales.

The last time I saw so many books that had sold very recently at sky high prices was when Gary Keller liquidated his many winnings.  So I was wondering if we had another Gary Keller-type situation here.   

12 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, I just blew $10 for the cause.

Here are the label notes in their entirety:

light tanning interior cover
very small bindary chip out left bottom of spine

No mention of a detached centerfold, so maybe the label note is wrong.  I'll drop HA a line and see what they say.

Maybe better to drop a note to CGC to see what THEY say.

18 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

No mention of a detached centerfold, so maybe the label note is wrong.  I'll drop HA a line and see what they say.

Sq., CGC should reimburse you the sawbuck, imo.

27 minutes ago, telerites said:

I plan on winning the Ha Ha Comics then CPR it, have Stan Lee sign it, and Rob Liefeld add a sketch to turn it into a 10.0 Gem Mint GA SS book.  

Then look at me....

Scrooge-McDuck-300x225.jpg

after you tape the centerfold with red masking tape it will be just perfect lol

10 hours ago, tth2 said:
23 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Maybe better to drop a note to CGC to see what THEY say.

I did and here is what they said:  "CGC tells us it was indeed a mistake, so looks like this will be withdrawn from the auction."

15 hours ago, tth2 said:

Then Heritage should take those sales out of the sales archives, and GPA should similarly remove those sales, because those were not real sales--they never completed.  Does your new listing show the previous recent sale?  

All of the sales I'm referring to show up in the sales archives.  When I open up the current listing, down in the body of the listing it shows the listing(s) for the same book's previous sales on Heritage, including the most recent sales that I've been citing.  So unless told otherwise, I have to assume that those were completed sales.

The last time I saw so many books that had sold very recently at sky high prices was when Gary Keller liquidated his many winnings.  So I was wondering if we had another Gary Keller-type situation here.   

John Verzyl was a big buyer of Church books from HA.  It's not unlikely that these are from his inventory. 

well, the "you have been outbid" emails have been coming through regularly! And I was the inderbidder on two of the GA books in the Sunday night auction as well...woke up and came downstairs thinking maybe I had got one too!

Edited by Bird
was going to fix it but I like "inderbidder"