• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Fall Signature Auction
5 5

307 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Richard, we're all oddballs when it comes to speculating on comics.  The process stinks at the fish head (third party pressing & grading) down to last-man-standing auction house bidding, deep pocket buyer's premiums (that influence realized values) and selective GPA scorecard keeping.  

In fact, the idea of mainstream is crazy in the current marketplace! If the oddball book gets a good mainstream press by Matt before being graded and auctioned then the final realized price has gotta be fake news:wink:

CGC is reputable. Pressing is common knowledge. GPA presents the data that they are allowed to.

15 hours ago, tth2 said:

Doesn't seem like it to me.  The items I was following on Hakes all went well below what they would've sold for on Heritage.

Unless the consignor is Steve Geppi, I simply can't understand why anyone would consign comics or comic OA to Hakes. 

Hakes has been around for decades and would have strong connections to people who collect premium/licensed materials and who may have a comic or two in the collection.  It doesn't surprise me that they get some comics consigned.

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I thought the prices were just right. 

A857F254-2753-4C9D-A788-DB1C5E05C0E1.jpeg

3C6586A0-26B3-4380-A0CB-6DF4BF80A959.jpeg

Those are both outstanding examples from the strip!

Giordiano was a quite a swiper in his Charlton days and I think you've just posted the inspiration for Badge of Justice.

10 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Giordiano was a quite a swiper in his Charlton days and I think you've just posted the inspiration for Badge of Justice.

I thought about  bidding on that one.  I had never seen it before.  According to GCD, it reprints the Murder Inc. and speculates the cover credits as Pencils Bill Molno ?, Inks  Giordano ?.  Do you think it is all Giordano

Edited by telerites

1 minute ago, bc said:

Someone really wanted those Rex the Wonder Dog's.

Madness is a symptom of rabies...

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Please dear god tell me you are not just realizing the bold statement above!

Cat, regardless of how big an oddball you are, we still love you :foryou:

True, they're sizable, but last time I checked two's an even number! ...Does this mean I need a pawnbroker's sign? :whatthe:

11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Opened ye olde canne of wormes!

I've had my doubts about a number of the "Church" copies HA has auctioned in recent months.  I raised the issue in a thread -- now long buried -- with respect to mid-grade raw books that seemed unlikely to me to have been ever owned by Edgar.

I think the answer to your question is that CGC has been going by provenance for the books that lack any Church markings. HA received a very large consignment of these books, sent some of them to CGC with the assurance that they were Church copies, and CGC accepted the provenance.

Now a couple of caveats:  Many of the books from this consignment (including most or all of the most important books) clearly are authentic Church copies.  Others might well be, although I don't think we have anything other than the consignor's word for it. 

But I'm pretty sure that other books have been given an incorrect attribution.

When I raised this issue in the other thread, practically nobody responded either out of respect for the consignor or because of indifference.

When I've raised this issue with people off-line, the responses I've received have generally been some variety of, "Eh, none of the iffy books are really key books, so who cares?"

The bottom line for me is that as a result of how this matter was handled by HA and CGC, there will now be an unknown number of books out there with Church labels that actually aren't Edgar's books.

If anyone else has any thoughts or -- better! -- knowledge of what's going on, I'd very much like to hear it,.

IMO, this is not the fault of the submitter, it's the fault of CGC. Being a big fan of pedigrees, I believe the integrity of pedigrees need to be maintained. Years ago, you needed more than just an 'I was told by someone that this is a pedigree' for CGC to grant it. Obviously, they are too lenient. A quick check of their own database would have shown another copy existed. This example should be forwarded to CGC, maybe they can recall the book. This should not be swept under the table with a Meh attitude. 

6 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Richard, we're all oddballs when it comes to speculating on comics.  The process stinks at the fish head (third party pressing & grading) down to last-man-standing auction house bidding, deep pocket buyer's premiums (that influence realized values) and selective GPA scorecard keeping.  

In fact, the idea of mainstream is crazy in the current marketplace! If the oddball book gets a good mainstream press by Matt before being graded and auctioned then the final realized price has gotta be fake news:wink:

Auction could hit a record..10.75M...I agree with you Cat on this one, its a strange world out there, I  would stick with mainstream..Cap1, 2, 3 etc over 10X guide mille the model...

Edited by Mmehdy