• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When to press? Advice sought...
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I have a boatload of books to CGC, and I'm looking for a metric to guide me on pressing before they are slabbed.

The thinking around here seems to be that pressing can deliver at least .5 on the grade. (if I'm off on that, please correct me)

I understand to a certain extent it's an eyeball test on each one, but for, say, major keys... TTA27, ASM129, Hulk 181... is it a given that you press?

Thanks to all on this board, BTW... you are very helpful and generous with your experience and insight. :)

What pressing delivers as far as grade improvement totally depends on the book. Some will not improve at all, some a little, some a lot. If the book isn't safe to press it's possible that pressing would make the grade worse. 

If sending the books to CGC's in house pressing service (CCS) I suggest you pay for the books to be prescreened. They will decide if books are safe to press and if likely to improve in grade. 

On 10/25/2018 at 7:07 AM, oldrover said:

I have a boatload of books to CGC, and I'm looking for a metric to guide me on pressing before they are slabbed.

The thinking around here seems to be that pressing can deliver at least .5 on the grade. (if I'm off on that, please correct me)

I understand to a certain extent it's an eyeball test on each one, but for, say, major keys... TTA27, ASM129, Hulk 181... is it a given that you press?

Thanks to all on this board, BTW... you are very helpful and generous with your experience and insight. :)

Generally, you want to press a book when the increase in grade will result in an increase of value greater than the cost to press it.  That requires a reasonably accurate assessment of the grade before pressing, the potential grade after pressing, and the increase in value between the two grades. 

For pretty well any major key book, it's worth pressing as any grade increment will give you a positive return in value.

On 10/25/2018 at 8:07 AM, oldrover said:

How did you come up with that ? There is absolutely no guarantee or metric for what a press can deliver. You've been posting enough lately and submitting books to CCS for evaluation that I am surprised by your question. 

38 minutes ago, Tony S said:

What pressing delivers as far as grade improvement totally depends on the book. Some will not improve at all, some a little, some a lot. If the book isn't safe to press it's possible that pressing would make the grade worse. 

If sending the books to CGC's in house pressing service (CCS) I suggest you pay for the books to be prescreened. They will decide if books are safe to press and if likely to improve in grade. 

OldRover, this is your answer. Good advice that you should heed.

This may be an antiquated point of view, but I still believe that pressing should only take place when the book will substantially benefit from the process, either in value or in eye appeal. This would (of course) include key books. I usually recommend pressing keys due to the potential monetary gain, unless they display problematic characteristics which could result in damage during pressing.

Personally, I have quite a few books that could be pressed (and likely improved), but I prefer to keep them in their original, unpressed state. If they display a few minor flaws, so be it. I can live with that...  

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

This may be an antiquated point of view, but I still believe that pressing should only take place when the book will substantially benefit from the process, either in value or in eye appeal. This would (of course) include key books. I usually recommend pressing keys due to the potential monetary gain, unless they display problematic characteristics which could result in damage during pressing.

Personally, I have quite a few books that could be pressed (and likely improved), but I prefer to keep them in their original, unpressed state. If they display a few minor flaws, so be it. I can live with that...  

I agree, a few minor flaws adds character. Even if a book is a key, if it is very low grade, a press will make the book look unnatural. Analagous to a black hair dye or a facelift on a 50 year old, it just doesn't look right. It's too bad the marketplace, nor CGC,  doesn't recognize this. Years ago, I think CGC was a bit more lenient on minor bends and wrinkles. Today, everything they see is pressed and flat, so they are more harsh. 

Hi guys,

never pressed a book before but I have been curious about pressing. Do you guys have advice on what should not be pressed like would it be like covers that are barely hanging on to the staple? or ones with heavy creasing?

Also what are some cons of pressing? like what kind of damage can happen during a pressing? 

Also what are some benefits of pressing besides helping bends?

If I am submitting some raw ASM like 2,3, 6, 9 should I do the prescreen from CCS as someone mentioned in this thread for them to see if pressing would help or would they maybe be to fragile as they have spine damage (tears splits creasing) but good covers.

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

Hi guys,

never pressed a book before but I have been curious about pressing. Do you guys have advice on what should not be pressed like would it be like covers that are barely hanging on to the staple? or ones with heavy creasing?

Also what are some cons of pressing? like what kind of damage can happen during a pressing? 

Also what are some benefits of pressing besides helping bends?

If I am submitting some raw ASM like 2,3, 6, 9 should I do the prescreen from CCS as someone mentioned in this thread for them to see if pressing would help or would they maybe be to fragile as they have spine damage (tears splits creasing) but good covers.

Easiest answer to give you is to use the CCS prescreen. 

On 10/27/2018 at 1:06 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree, a few minor flaws adds character. Even if a book is a key, if it is very low grade, a press will make the book look unnatural. Analagous to a black hair dye or a facelift on a 50 year old, it just doesn't look right. It's too bad the marketplace, nor CGC,  doesn't recognize this. Years ago, I think CGC was a bit more lenient on minor bends and wrinkles. Today, everything they see is pressed and flat, so they are more harsh. 

When I first got into buying CGC books, I bought a ton from Classics, Inc - Matt N's old selling business.  I bought an Iron Fist 15 in 9.6. It only had one flaw, a tiny "scratch" of missing color on the spine.  I actually thought a hair or something had landed on the book and the color just never hit the book. But what had happened was that the book had one color breaking crease and the pressing had eliminated every trace of the crease except the absence of ink.  It was kind of amazing.    

8 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

When I first got into buying CGC books, I bought a ton from Classics, Inc - Matt N's old selling business.  I bought an Iron Fist 15 in 9.6. It only had one flaw, a tiny "scratch" of missing color on the spine.  I actually thought a hair or something had landed on the book and the color just never hit the book. But what had happened was that the book had one color breaking crease and the pressing had eliminated every trace of the crease except the absence of ink.  It was kind of amazing.    

That's a good story. When Matt was pressing for his personal books, he did amazing work. To my knowledge, he doesn't personally press too much these days, just the real high end stuff on occasion. That's what makes answering these pressing questions to newbies so difficult. The difference between an experienced presser devoting some time to a book is worlds apart from the assembly line, mass quantity work performed by 'associates'. Is a staple vulnerable to being popped ? Can a taco make you sick ? 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Easiest answer to give you is to use the CCS prescreen. 

So sorry to be a noob but with the CCS pre screen is there still a chance of damage occurring if they approve of the book to get pressed etc.. and if there is a chance of damage would it be severe or minor damage? just wondering what kind of damaged has happened from pressing besides staple popping? would it tear a cover off? 

3 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

So sorry to be a noob but with the CCS pre screen is there still a chance of damage occurring if they approve of the book to get pressed etc.. and if there is a chance of damage would it be severe or minor damage? just wondering what kind of damaged has happened from pressing besides staple popping? would it tear a cover off? 

I'm sorry but you seem to be searching for some guarantees for your book, which is impossible for us to give you. If you doubt my statement, ask your prospective pressing service what kind of guarantee they give. There is always a possibility of damage from handling, from pressing, from shipping, from encapsualtion, etc . S**t happens . (shrug)From personal experience, I have experienced newly introduced tears from the pressing process. So there is there a chance, not a probablility, but a chance. 

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

You are subjecting the book to heat, pressure, and moisture, What could go wrong? (shrug)

7 hours ago, Krishosein said:

just wondering what kind of damaged has happened from pressing besides staple popping? 

Taken from the CGC website, you can google the details of each flaw, with pics........

Some of the side effects of improper pressing include staining, warping, edge rippling, crushed spines, reverse spine-roll, flaring, cockling, pebbling, gloss stains and melted inks.

23 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm sorry but you seem to be searching for some guarantees for your book, which is impossible for us to give you. If you doubt my statement, ask your prospective pressing service what kind of guarantee they give. There is always a possibility of damage from handling, from pressing, from shipping, from encapsualtion, etc . S**t happens . (shrug)From personal experience, I have experienced newly introduced tears from the pressing process. So there is there a chance, not a probablility, but a chance. 

Sorry might have worded that wrong I'm not looking for a guarantee just trying to get a solid understanding of the risks involved so I can make a educated decision on to risk something valuable or treasured to get maybe a half a grade bump or have it lose a grade or few in the risk of pressing vs not pressing.

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Sorry might have worded that wrong I'm not looking for a guarantee just trying to get a solid understanding of the risks involved so I can make a educated decision on to risk something valuable or treasured to get maybe a half a grade bump or have it lose a grade or few in the risk of pressing vs not pressing.

From personal experience, if this book is a keeper in your collection, don't do it. You can always press it in the future if you change your mind. If you plan on selling the book, proceed with pressing.