• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Waid’s Legal Defense Fund
1 1

38 posts in this topic

I wanted to share this for all interested parties in comics. Many of us are aware of this, but some are not. Also, lawyer and board member Mark Zaid is representing Mark Waid in this case. 

The Mark Waid Legal Defense Fund 

My name is Mark Waid . I’m a New York Times-bestselling comics writer. In September of this year, I was sued by one of the perceived leaders of a relentless online harassment movement called “ComicsGate” which I and many comics professionals strongly feel has unfairly and offensively targeted women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ creators working in our industry in an effort to make them feel unwelcome. (You can read more about some perspectives on ComicsGate and its harassment techniques in the Washington Post  and on Inverse .) I firmly believe this lawsuit is an effort to silence those of us who stand up publicly against bigotry and racism and who continue to defend diverse creators from harassment.

You can learn more about the lawsuit here , here , and here , and I encourage you to visit my website markwaid.com  for further details.

Even though I am confident that the claims made against me are entirely without merit, lawsuits are time-consuming and very expensive. Still, I have never backed down from bullies, especially those who denigrate my friends, colleagues and the values our community stands for, and while I am not a rich man, you have my solemn promise that I will fight this fight no matter the personal cost.

But I’m going to need your help. 

If you believe, as I do, that women and people of color deserve to be able to do their jobs—or any job—without being bullied, donate. Stand with me. If you believe that someone's gender or sexual preference should have no bearing on the career they pursue, donate. Send that message. 

This isn’t just about me; it's about standing together in the face of bullying. Every day that we don't push back against online harassment, it only becomes nastier and more powerful.

This is an important fight. Thank you for having my back.

https://www.gofundme.com/mark-waids-legal-defense-fund?fbclid=IwAR3taODPR64vdNoqe9boW9_G6p8uUVdG1xMM5tbyfd2rQFrsu-k3HWkq0cM

I think this is the case where he was sued by someone who had a deal to get a comic work published by a certain publisher.  Supposedly Waid intervened, informing said company about the online behavior of that person(s), and the deal was subsequently cancelled.  That’s the plaintiff’s argument anyway.

Edited by Heronext

12 minutes ago, HitThePost said:
3 hours ago, Heronext said:

I think this is the case where he was sued by someone who had a deal to get a comic work published by a certain publisher.  Supposedly Waid intervened, informing said company about the online behavior of that person(s), and the deal was subsequently cancelled.  That’s the plaintiff’s argument anyway.

In early 2018, Meyer announced that his crowdfunded comic book Jawbreakers: Lost Souls, a collaboration with freelance artist Joe Malin, would be published by Antarctic Press. In May 2018, Meyer posted on his social media account screen shots of a private conversation between comic retailers discussing whether or not they would order copies of the series.[20] Meyer encouraged his followers on Twitter to publicly post names, locations, and employee information of stores that said they would not be stocking it.[21][22][23] On May 13, Antarctic Press announced that they were canceling their partnership with Meyer, who blamed freelance writer Mark Waid for contacting Antarctic's publisher to talk about the controversy, accusing him of pressuring Antarctic not to publish the book.[23] Both Antarctic and Waid issued statements denying that any threats or bullying had taken place.[24][25][26] In October 2018, Meyer sued Waid for "tortious interference with contract and defamation".[27]

Without getting into who you agree or don't agree with, I think the case against Waid would be extremely difficult to make, especially in front of a jury (should it go that far).  But Waid is right that these things can get expensive and time consuming.

I have a lot to say about this issue but I'm not gonna.  Too much of a hot potato even for Kav.

2 hours ago, revat said:

Without getting into who you agree or don't agree with, I think the case against Waid would be extremely difficult to make, especially in front of a jury (should it go that far).  But Waid is right that these things can get expensive and time consuming.

I think Waid made it easier by bragging about his interference.

29 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:
3 hours ago, revat said:

I think Waid made it easier by bragging about his interference.

That might be true, but in a real trial (if it went that far) the plaintiff would almost certainly have to testify, and would almost certainly have to answer questions about his past statements, and essentially defend them to convince a jury (most likely in a major city probably New York or Los Angeles) that the contract shouldn't have been canceled because of those things that he said, and that the contract was cancelled because of undue pressure, lies, or threats made by Waid, and not simply pointing out some statements.  It's not a criminal hearing, civil hearings commonly involve feelings.  So even in a situation where a jury might be convinced that Waid TECHNICALLY did something unethical or in breach of some type of business rule or tortious, it could be one of those situations where they award the plaintiff $1 or something.  If I were the plaintiff, I would be extremely weary of a potential countersuit by Mr. Waid, where a sympathetic jury could award damages the other way to at least cover legal expenses.

Note that I'm not an attorney, and I haven't read anything. 

1 minute ago, revat said:

That might be true, but in a real trial (if it went that far) the plaintiff would almost certainly have to testify, and would almost certainly have to answer questions about his past statements, and essentially defend them to convince a jury (most likely in a major city probably New York or Los Angeles) that the contract shouldn't have been canceled because of those things that he said, and that the contract was cancelled because of undue pressure, lies, or threats made by Waid, and not simply pointing out some statements.  It's not a criminal hearing, civil hearings commonly involve feelings.  So even in a situation where a jury might be convinced that Waid TECHNICALLY did something unethical or in breach of some type of business rule or tortious, it could be one of those situations where they award the plaintiff $1 or something.  If I were the plaintiff, I would be extremely weary of a potential countersuit by Mr. Waid, where a sympathetic jury could award damages the other way to at least cover legal expenses.

Agreed. We shall see. I personally do not like how Waid handles himself. 

Just now, WoWitHurts said:

Agreed. We shall see. I personally do not like how Waid handles himself. 

Yet, if how someone "handles themselves" is the standard to be used he's probably well ahead on points there too. lol

Edited by comix4fun

Just now, comix4fun said:

Those comicsgate guys do have their fans. Their choice. 

That's true for Waid as well. I did not support Jawbreakers but it pulled together over $400k and I imagine Waid's high profile beef with them added to their success. my 2c

27 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

That's true for Waid as well. I did not support Jawbreakers but it pulled together over $400k and I imagine Waid's high profile beef with them added to their success. my 2c

It may very well have, but that type of success won't last as it isn't built on the product. I doubt revenge-funders even read the comic.

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

Waid is policing the attempt of colleges to break into the industry?

Folks who encourage their fans to intimidate and harass shop owners for not carrying their book? At least that's what these articles seem to be saying.

1 hour ago, revat said:

Filed in West texas, perhaps to get a more favorable judge and jury, despite the lawyer (who looks legitimate) being in austin, which I assume is in the eastern district.