• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I will Be Doing a fun panel on comic art collecting at the FANTASTI-CON in Michigan Saturday at 1pm!!!
1 1

10 posts in this topic

it was a fun FANTASTICON SHOW..... (my first 1 ever)

I didnt sell much art................... but.....................

I had my booth right next to Michael Golden and he told some funny artist stories to me from yesteryear...... including how he actually DESTROYED alot of his 1970s  MICRONAUTS ART when he lived in florida because he didnt want bugs and silverfish to get into his house because of the artwork being PAPER... He actually told me he DESTROYED A LOT of it, but hesaid he  loved how he drew THE  'NAM so he didn't destroy any of that. LOL

I did meet a local Michigan guy who remembered me at the 1992 capital City Sales conference in Madison Wisconsin (when i still had my comicbook store...... ) He remembered me having a stack of early ASM spiderman pages to get signed By Stan Lee and John Romita  (this is where i first met Stan Lee and John Romita) who were both guests of honor at the show!  The guy and i started talking more about art.......and i found out he owned an old 1979 Marvel cover......and I ended up convincing him to go back home and bring back his beautiful 1979 Kieth Pollard penciled and Joe Sinnott inked Captain America #236 cover he had bought back in 1989 from Pollard directly at the very first Motor City Comic-Con.  We struck a deal and i got it! the art is stunning compared to the comic book! And this cover has never EVER been seen in the hobby previously.....(The Torch On Lady Liberty is a stat covering all drawn artwork of the torch under, as they wanted the TORCH to go over the logo stat) 

What an AWESOME huge powerful Captain america image! (Hard to believe this cover will be 40 years old soon...My how time flies!!!!) :)

I also bought a nice large art Flash #124 Infantino / Giella page which has smaller images of the Flash, who is in every panel, but it does have the COVER SCENE on it with Captain Boomerang catapulting the tied up FLASH in the air, on  a giant boomerang, as Elongated Man starts stretching up  to try and save him! 

Martin Hirchak put on the show with his partner....... and Martin is a really great guy and it was a fun 2 day show overall.

Sometimes the smaller shows are where you find some interesting art!  (sorry i look like a ham in the pics....but hey......we love our hobby...)

Mike Burkey

2018-10-27 17.34.47.jpg

2018-10-28 15.22.01.jpg

2018-10-27 17.08.51.png

2018-10-27 17.11.39.png

2018-10-27 17.31.23.jpg

2018-10-28 13.08.28.jpg

cap236cover.jpg

Edited by romitaman

20 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yeah. I missed the boat on the Warehouse art liquidations! 

My buddy Martin mentioned the HARVEY warehouse liquidation stories he was told from the past.

(I'm sure Mitch I can probably shed alot more light on this story also)

Edited by romitaman

On 10/30/2018 at 12:59 AM, romitaman said:

I had my booth right next to Michael Golden and he told some funny artist stories to me from yesteryear...... including how he actually DESTROYED alot of his 1970s  MICRONAUTS ART when he lived in florida because he didnt want bugs and silverfish to get into his house because of the artwork being PAPER... He actually told me he DESTROYED A LOT of it, but hesaid he  loved how he drew THE  'NAM so he didn't destroy any of that. LOL

It's possible Golden destroyed some of his old art, but fear not - at least 2/3rds of his art from Micronauts survived.