• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instagram
6 6

97 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Am I missing out? I hear a lot of buying and selling goes down on Instagram... Good deals to be had? Good buyer base? Mechanisms in place to identify those with good reputations?

This post makes me feel old, and I’m only in my mid-30’s...

You're old?  Hell, I sold by telegram.

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

Am I missing out? I hear a lot of buying and selling goes down on Instagram... Good deals to be had? Good buyer base? Mechanisms in place to identify those with good reputations?

It sounds like a wonderful fee free platform to buy & sell... There's no search feature for items being sold so good luck searching for a specific book you may be interested in! 

53 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

It sounds like a wonderful fee free platform to buy & sell... There's no search feature for items being sold so good luck searching for a specific book you may be interested in! 

You can search #hashtags. While imperfect, it can be helpful to follow specific terms.  In general, the pace of commerce on an open platform requires you to know and follow people whom you trust. 

Definitely a good forum with some solid sellers and a great collector community.  Stay away from those garbage mystery boxes and raffles though.  Search hashtags like #comicsforsale and you'll see a bunch of comics for sale.  Most being cheap comics with a sprinkling every once in a while of an expensive key book, sometimes GA, sometimes PCH.  Other good sellers are shortboxed, elite_comics11, semperficomics, dgallo1291, e_rich_j, bampowcomics_, rich_grinch, shortboxhero to name a few with obviously some already being active board members here.  Some excellent artists doing commissions too.  I'm fairly active on there so feel free to connect with me on there (same screenname) and shoot me any particular questions.

1 hour ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Joeyscomics

davidscomicbooks

nerdy_girl_comics.....she has amazing books

Nerdy girl is filter81 here

Edited by G.A.tor

I recently picked up a great book from elite_comic_source on instagram. You'll see that some who sell also share their personal books together with the ones they're selling. So you might see a book you're looking for and find it's not for sale. I love seeing other peoples books but it's nice to have them in separate sections like they are here.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:35 PM, Callaway29 said:

I once sold by smoke signal but the wind picked up and it changed my description. On a more serious note I have seen comics on Instagram but there is no system in place that I know of to tell you the reps of different sellers.

I have yet to figure the ins and outs there. I see a crappy picture often held in some one's hand in a car and "make an offer" with no description and no idea who I am dealing with. NOT how I buy or sell comics. I guess the lazy millianiums think it's the cool way of doing biz...(shrug)

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I have yet to figure the ins and outs there. I see a crappy picture often held in some one's hand in a car and "make an offer" with no description and no idea who I am dealing with. NOT how I buy or sell comics. I guess the lazy millianiums think it's the cool way of doing biz...(shrug)

I don't really see the appeal either. I spent about a year on Instagram but stopped posting a few months ago. I only bought two or three things during that period.

Buying and selling on here is far more transparent.

In my brief experience, the sellers expect eBay prices, which is counterintuitive since the buyers are the ones accepting more risk. I expected it to be more like here, where there’s a customary 10% discount, generally speaking, for a lot of books. In fact, a lot are GPA (best case) to GPA + 6 months from now prices...and that’s WITH friends and family...

I haven’t given up yet, maybe I just haven’t found the right circles yet...

Edited by Callaway29

Lack of a reliable feedback system on instagram seems like a big negative, but I'd imagine there are ways to determine reputable sellers from the scum. I'd like to give it a shot, I've got several hundred books I'd like to sell and I'd imagine that while there are people who put very little effort into their posts (terrible pics from inside a car with no info), there must also be plenty who clearly put time and effort in.

Looking forward to setting up a buy/sell/trade account! This thread has convinced me to give it a go.