• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instagram
6 6

97 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2018 at 11:33 AM, lizards2 said:
On 10/30/2018 at 5:51 AM, Keys_Collector said:
On 10/29/2018 at 5:08 PM, Robot Man said:

I have yet to figure the ins and outs there. I see a crappy picture often held in some one's hand in a car and "make an offer" with no description and no idea who I am dealing with. NOT how I buy or sell comics. I guess the lazy millianiums think it's the cool way of doing biz...(shrug)

There are actual reputable sellers doing business on Instagram.  Ive never been burned on Instagram and have made many transactions. Burned once here and ive only bought a few books from the boards. There are crappy sellers both on Instagram and on here who dont know how to be a good seller. Has nothing to do with 'lazy millenials' and is a poor excuse to not give the medium a shot. 

At the risk of being labeled a lazy baby boomer, I finally googled what "Instagram" was/is.

Now I know.  Sort of.

It's like Facetwit or Booker

47 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, lizards2 said:
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:51 AM, Keys_Collector said:
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:08 PM, Robot Man said:

I have yet to figure the ins and outs there. I see a crappy picture often held in some one's hand in a car and "make an offer" with no description and no idea who I am dealing with. NOT how I buy or sell comics. I guess the lazy millianiums think it's the cool way of doing biz...(shrug)

There are actual reputable sellers doing business on Instagram.  Ive never been burned on Instagram and have made many transactions. Burned once here and ive only bought a few books from the boards. There are crappy sellers both on Instagram and on here who dont know how to be a good seller. Has nothing to do with 'lazy millenials' and is a poor excuse to not give the medium a shot. 

At the risk of being labeled a lazy baby boomer, I finally googled what "Instagram" was/is.

Now I know.  Sort of.

So..., same as Tinder?

Im @mustang33guy on IG the same as here. I mainly sell on the boards if I have books. But since there is a lot of people who overlap the boards and IG, sometimes I reach out to people personally if I know its a book they might like, they can get first look! I like the IG platform overall its mainly used to showcase acquisitions for my personal collection. But that's not to say that people can't pry away my books if they make an offer I can't refuse :devil:

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:
2 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Now I know.  Sort of.

So..., same as Tinder?

If that helps, sure

Instagram is good for a lot of things besides comics. The cgc board is much better because it is focused just on comics.

Best way to find comics on IG is using the search feature and hashtags like #comicsforsale #comics4sale   if you like golden age books search #goldenagecomics #lbcole #precodehorror #horrorcomics #timelycomics etc if you like silver age #silveragecomics  if you like cgc then #cgc #keyissue etc To connect with people in the community use #igcomicfamily

The more time you spend the easier it gets to navigate just like here on the boards. You also learn who buys/sells/ or just shares his comics in there. those are my two cents

Happy Halloween y'all

Instagram is useless on a desktop.  The reason I'm not a big fan of social media websites is that I already have a website and like to do things once.  If somebody could come up with a way to upload a scan of a book or item for sale capturing enough information to make it sellable to multiple platforms they will make millions.  One and done is what I'm all about.  Which is why I have very little on ebay.  Snapping pictures while I'm loading a collection into a truck,  snapping pictures of books while grading,  etc etc all slows me down. 

16 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Instagram is useless on a desktop.  The reason I'm not a big fan of social media websites is that I already have a website and like to do things once.  If somebody could come up with a way to upload a scan of a book or item for sale capturing enough information to make it sellable to multiple platforms they will make millions.  One and done is what I'm all about.  Which is why I have very little on ebay.  Snapping pictures while I'm loading a collection into a truck,  snapping pictures of books while grading,  etc etc all slows me down. 

IG is and was not intended to be a platform for selling goods. On top of that, they receive no fees from said transactions, so there is very little incentive to make changes. I'm sure they are happy they are getting more users because then they can show advertisers they gaining accounts.

18 hours ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Instagram is good for a lot of things besides comics. The cgc board is much better because it is focused just on comics.

Best way to find comics on IG is using the search feature and hashtags like #comicsforsale #comics4sale   if you like golden age books search #goldenagecomics #lbcole #precodehorror #horrorcomics #timelycomics etc if you like silver age #silveragecomics  if you like cgc then #cgc #keyissue etc To connect with people in the community use #igcomicfamily

The more time you spend the easier it gets to navigate just like here on the boards. You also learn who buys/sells/ or just shares his comics in there. those are my two cents

Happy Halloween y'all

I get it Pablo. It just takes a lot more time and patience. Time, I don't have. For people that live, sleep and breath comic books I guess it works. I prefer to go on, find what I want and be done with out it. I have other things to do. Maybe I'm just not as commited any more. 

Instagram is attractive just because there are SO many eyeballs on it all day long, while our beloved boards seem to be waning.

That being said, the general wild west atmosphere of the platform has prevented me from buying or selling anything there. I think eBay is an outdated model with tons of drawbacks, but I've been doing it for 20+ years (and here for nearly half that long) and I'm skittish about trying something new. It could likely be the future of comic selling, but I'm not ready to make that leap yet. Now, if it was a dealer I knew, like some of the big boys here, I wouldn't hesitate, as I would expect the same service I receive from them when buying on the boards. But these fly by night dealers, I'm just not ready to deal with them yet on a platform with zero protections. Some very cool books floating around out there though!

And as far as using IG the way it was intended (sharing and looking at pics) and not as a vehicle for commerce, it's TERRIFIC. My account gives me an endless feed of comics, horror, and nearly nekkid ladies to ogle all day long. It's great!

18 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

And as far as using IG the way it was intended (sharing and looking at pics) and not as a vehicle for commerce, it's TERRIFIC. My account gives me an endless feed of comics, horror, and nearly nekkid ladies to ogle all day long. It's great!

Now wait a darn minute... you say nekkid ladies???  What hash tag do I use to see those? :devil:

On 10/30/2018 at 8:33 AM, lizards2 said:

Now I know.  Sort of.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:03 AM, lizards2 said:

This site is the extent of my social media - my wife calls it "Facebook for Nerds".

Damn millennial lizards...

8C503DAF-F06E-4ED9-9264-37D340F158B9.jpeg.3cff3451f9e11c1cec5f6534972e8304.jpeg

On 10/31/2018 at 3:00 PM, lizards2 said:
On 10/31/2018 at 2:12 PM, Jerkfro said:

Now I know.  Sort of.

So..., same as Tinder?

Pretty much.

Tinder for hairy, sweaty nerds who never want to have sex and read comics instead.

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Now wait a darn minute... you say nekkid ladies???  What hash tag do I use to see those? :devil:

Well, NEARLY nekkid. IG apparently has some rules against total nudity (so nips are generally covered, unlike Twitter, which is a lawless wasteland) but there's still plennnnnnty to see. Used to be #hotgirl would get you started, but just search for any particular model you like, and then IG will "suggest" similar accounts, and then you're off to the races!