• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instagram
6 6

97 posts in this topic

Instagram is starting to lose its luster for me.  Same people posting the same books over and over and over and over and over, ad nauseam.  It's just like being at a big con, honestly.  People offering common raw books at GPA high prices, and never assign grades to the books.  Everybody quoting census numbers, everything is "really hard to find," even though that's the 10th copy of some random awful Harvey horror book posted in a week. 

It can be a nice networking tool, but you really have to separate the wheat from the chaff.  Essentially it's just a bunch of people trying to outdo each other for likes.  It's tiresome.

There are some guys that I love seeing content from them, because it's either in really nice shape, or so esoteric that I've never seen it before.  @october and @Sardo Numspar come to mind.

2 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Instagram is starting to lose its luster for me.  Same people posting the same books over and over and over and over and over, ad nauseam.  It's just like being at a big con, honestly.  People offering common raw books at GPA high prices, and never assign grades to the books.  Everybody quoting census numbers, everything is "really hard to find," even though that's the 10th copy of some random awful Harvey horror book posted in a week. 

It can be a nice networking tool, but you really have to separate the wheat from the chaff.  Essentially it's just a bunch of people trying to outdo each other for likes.  It's tiresome.

There are some guys that I love seeing content from them, because it's either in really nice shape, or so esoteric that I've never seen it before.  @october and @Sardo Numspar come to mind.

I've quit posting and unfollowed almost all comic guys because of the highlighted. It's really just well masked (or sometimes not masked) bragging and, sorry if this sounds bad, I really just don't care about what the next guy got last week or what "grail" some dealer landed. I thought it would be different, but it really is just typical social media stuff. Everyone trying to outdo one another, everyone wanting likes/comments/follows, everyone one-upping each other. It's kind of sickening actually. 

36 minutes ago, october said:

I've quit posting and unfollowed almost all comic guys because of the highlighted. It's really just well masked (or sometimes not masked) bragging and, sorry if this sounds bad, I really just don't care about what the next guy got last week or what "grail" some dealer landed. I thought it would be different, but it really is just typical social media stuff. Everyone trying to outdo one another, everyone wanting likes/comments/follows, everyone one-upping each other. It's kind of sickening actually. 

:slapfight:

Instagram is terrible these days. It wasn’t so bad back in 2011-2012, there were many genuine collectors. Some I’m still friends with today. But like anything else it evolves and people look at every avenue to suck a buck out of the hobby. Everyone is an “expert” but in reality they’re insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

17 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Oh and one more thing...people constantly “tag” #comics4sale, #comicsforsale, #cgccomicsforsale, etc...and guess what? A LOT of the time they’re just bragging about a book they bought, NOT selling a book....and nobody calls them on it. It appears to be the social norm. This triggers my ocd because it makes no sense to clutter #’s created for the sole purpose of selling. It’s...just...not...logical.

Maybe an IG vet can illuminate me...

Couldn't agree more and that's what I dislike the most about Instagram. Copying and pasting hashtags for every post and not changing them to accommodate the actual post.

19 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Oh and one more thing...people constantly “tag” #comics4sale, #comicsforsale, #cgccomicsforsale, etc...and guess what? A LOT of the time they’re just bragging about a book they bought, NOT selling a book....and nobody calls them on it. It appears to be the social norm. This triggers my ocd because it makes no sense to clutter #’s created for the sole purpose of selling. It’s...just...not...logical.

Maybe an IG vet can illuminate me...

My theory is that people just use the hashtags with more followers to get more eyes on their post, regardless of relevance. Some of those people realize what they’re doing, and delete the posts later. When I first joined, I sent a message to a guy who was doing this, then I realized he would remove the post a few days later, after he got the eyeballs. Either way, it’s annoying.

I guess this is the thread to post this.

Follow me. 

My stuff is cooler than everyone else's. :peace:

The link:

https://www.instagram.com/vintagecomics_com/

or the name:

IG @vintagecomics_com

As a seller it requires much more work than ebay, whatnot, or facebook. You also have to build a 
following. Personally I have unfollowed several sellers in IG due to U4 controversy with Black Flag
comics a few weeks back. It was extremely unflattering when those sellers could not see the problem.
So I feel like I dont need to give my money to sellers who think that way. 

Buying is so so. Many do not grade so you are guessing at the grade. You can ask them for additional
picturess. Sellers will also try to get you to send them F&F payments so they can avoid taxes. I have gotten
great deals, but I have also gotten poorly packaged comics that got damaged in the mail. 

The best sellers I have found on there are ones that operate on multiple platforms, but again this takes
alot of time. In the end I use IG for only buying. I have much more success at CGC, Facebook, or Ebay
of if you have the right books try MCS as well. I am cheap so I prefer less fees and faster turn around.

Just my two cents. 

Edited by fastballspecial