• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The hard to find club in general
7 7

611 posts in this topic

From my experience Daring 2 was the toughest to find, followed by 3, 8, 5, 6, 4, 1, 7 in that order. Looking for copies in grade skewed my perspective a little. And for whatever reason I have always had an easy time getting #4, despite its obvious scarcity. I had a copy in inventory in the nineties that sat for a couple of years with no interest. The 9.4 copy was my third upgrade over the years.

8 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

From my experience Daring 2 was the toughest to find, followed by 3, 8, 5, 6, 4, 1, 7 in that order. Looking for copies in grade skewed my perspective a little. And for whatever reason I have always had an easy time getting #4, despite its obvious scarcity. I had a copy in inventory in the nineties that sat for a couple of years with no interest. The 9.4 copy was my third upgrade over the years.

Yes, copies in grade skew perception. The #2 was the only Gerber 8 and it was extremely rare to locate one in the 1990s. Took me forever to find a solid one. Over the years, I've seen several copies without back covers or otherwise incomplete but getting a complete one is still difficult. The back cover was nothing special so it's odd that there are different copies out there without one. No debate with the 3, it's very difficult. For some unknown reason, #6 seems to pop up a lot nowadays and affordable which is surprising for Kirby's 2nd Timely cover after Red Raven. About 10 years ago, there were plenty All Winners 1, Mystic 1, and Young Allies 1 to choose from. Not anymore. 

On 12/8/2018 at 8:31 PM, Robot Man said:

Have never seen a copy. Have only seen one #17 I think. This one ain't common either.

comscream16.jpg

When I saw this comic in my LCS 10 years ago I thought the cover was so ridiculous that I had to buy it.  lol  Who knew it would turn out to be a scarce book?

16401300367_b4648c5db8_c.jpg

On 12/26/2018 at 9:11 AM, manetteska said:

Says “cover only”; I did see a cover proof on Heritage but no actual comics. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Heritage auctioned off the Cover Proof in 2003. I kick myself for not bidding higher. Many (all?) of the L.B. Cole cover proofs have duplicates, so I'm hoping to stumble across one someday. :wishluck:

On 12/31/2019 at 3:14 PM, rtsunlimited said:

I enjoyed going through this thread and thought I'd give it a bump with this:

only 2 on census. this and a 3.0

Barker #13 MH CGC 9.6.jpg

Great bump! I had completely missed this thread. Now I'm going to have to go through all 27 pages and post some books that haven't been posted yet (if I have any).

22 hours ago, I am not Glenda said:

This WAS considered very scarce even ( legit RARE) but it seems multiple copies have popped up this year.

1652643103_lf(1).thumb.jpg.26c25af5dc31c69903c9cac70f3ce326.jpg

I used to collect Centaurs and I had no idea these existed until this year.

But yes, I did see copies of all three issues (that I'm aware of) for sale.

I wonder if some were found, or if it was just a coincidence folks decided to sell.

On 5 November 2018 at 12:47 AM, Readcomix said:

None of these on the census. It carries a cover price, but it was a savings bond premium given away at bond rallies.

image.jpeg

Ah, so that's the back story on that one. Thank you.

What are the interior stories? The cover is this one:

large.BB-25.jpg.6b8fc7e0ddb82b2f0604d85b45e69c5c.jpg

1 hour ago, circumstances said:

I used to collect Centaurs and I had no idea these existed until this year.

But yes, I did see copies of all three issues (that I'm aware of) for sale.

I wonder if some were found, or if it was just a coincidence folks decided to sell.

I am aware of quite a few having surfaced this year.

21 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

I am aware of quite a few having surfaced this year.

I love finding out about cool stuff like this.

I have the FPS 1 where the Clock story comes from, and #4 where The Brothers Three story comes from, I can't recall what the third one was off the top of my head.

Edited by circumstances

On 12/25/2018 at 8:52 PM, Ameri said:

Great copy of #5! I always felt the 4 was really tough, perhaps the toughest, but then a spate of copies showed up which changed my mind. Once they disappeared, ain't seen that one again. Cycles. All the Darings are tough for sure except for the 6 & 7. In terms of Mystic, I may be wrong on this, but I'm finding (aside from the Destroyer issues 6-10 which are all tough), the #3 seems to pop up the least.         

Mystic 3 CAMERA.jpg

When my copy popped up on Metro I pulled the trigger before they could get a picture up. :)

Mystic_vol1_3_CGC_front.jpg