• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The hard to find club in general
7 7

611 posts in this topic

The rarity of many Duck books in high grade always floors me. Books printed in the hundred of thousands and yet true NM and higher are just not seen. I admit that Barks collectors tend to hoard so this may change in the next 20 years as people pass away but right now, this is the lone 9.4 on the census with the next highest being (3) 8.5s! :whatthe:

DD_27_CGC_Front.thumb.jpg.8f5caf09b78b8d021d588ffc38ececa9.jpg

On 1/1/2020 at 6:14 PM, Badger said:

The rarity of many Duck books in high grade always floors me. Books printed in the hundred of thousands and yet true NM and higher are just not seen. I admit that Barks collectors tend to hoard so this may change in the next 20 years as people pass away but right now, this is the lone 9.4 on the census with the next highest being (3) 8.5s! :whatthe:

DD_27_CGC_Front.thumb.jpg.8f5caf09b78b8d021d588ffc38ececa9.jpg

Yes, I agree. I am happy to find anything in the 8.0 range, to me that is high grade for these books because most true high grade don't show up, or I'm priced out.

1 hour ago, Stingrayiii said:

Yes, I agree. I am happy to find anything in the 8.0 range, to me that is high grade for these books because most true high grade don't show up, or I'm priced out.

I wanted to collect 9.0s and up but the prices for early Four Color Barks have largely recovered, from their lows in the early 2000s, in the high grades.  I am finding that I am quite happy with 7.0 through 8.0s for the most part.

On 12/25/2018 at 9:39 PM, BarristerBaker said:

Yeah, #5 is tough too, but I might put #4 ahead of it and #3. Daring 1-5 are so, so cool. I love that title. Saw this #5 on the CLink Exchange some time ago. Had to jump.

52356CEC-BC8F-4503-A2EC-2502A7E87F8F.thumb.jpeg.320b1fd369911012d0fc12e19cead5c8.jpeg

It is funny how perceptions change as the years go by. I never thought Daring 3 or 4 were that hard. I had a few copies of each for sale in the early '90s. #3 was tough to find in grade though. I actually had another very nice #4, about an 8.0, when I was offered the beauty that I have now. As for #5, I have had my copy for almost forty years but I have seen very few others for sale.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Fox funny animal books are tough...

ribtickler5.jpg

I know!Remember that Comedy Canadian mashup I showed you years ago?I went to the old PM,but image is gone.

This one was a toughie,wonderful Rick Starr came through for me.Not my copy,but I think I showed you that one as well,mine's actually sweeter :whatthe:

72279-6857-105277-1-cosmo-cat.jpg

I'll look thru the old Fox thread,maybe I posted there.The hoard is a MESS

Edited by porcupine48

47 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I found the picture! :banana:Thanks again Mr Starr.

COSMO%2520CAT%25204_zpsr9jrsq6f.jpg&key=

Man, that is PURRRR-DEEEE!

People collect post-war Fox for the GGA.  No one wants funny animals. :ph34r:

Wotalife3sm.jpg

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Man, that is PURRRR-DEEEE!

:cloud9: Aw shucks :blush: merci

To be honest,it was close to making my best book post,I just love the pink, the name stamp-and it's so fresh and crisp!I usually have rags!