• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you feel about sellers who........
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Steve Donnelly tried that one on with me.  Should have known better than to enquire but he'd approached me looking for a trade.  I'd asked after a John Romita junior cover that he possessed which Steve had got Romita senior to sign many years later at a convention, claiming the signature was proof that the father had inked the artwork.  He hadn't (all signs pointed towards another inker, as agreed by a variety of different sources).  Not only was he misrepresenting the cover's inker but he'd also duped a different (higher-regarded) artist to sign the artwork to quite deliberately push up the price. 

SD also has a number of Giordano/Trapani 'Nukla' pages which he claims are all ghosted by Steve Ditko.  The title ran for four issues, with the last one being penciled by Ditko.  That was good enough for SD to claim that Ditko had a hand in ALL of those issues.

How do I feel about SD as a seller?  I don't think my low opinion has ever changed.

16 hours ago, artdealer said:

Misrepresent artist attribution even in the face of overwhelming proof the artist in question didn’t draw it?

MI

9 hours ago, The Voord said:

Steve Donnelly tried that one on with me.  Should have known better than to enquire but he'd approached me looking for a trade.  I'd asked after a John Romita junior cover that he possessed which Steve had got Romita senior to sign many years later at a convention, claiming the signature was proof that the father had inked the artwork.  He hadn't (all signs pointed towards another inker, as agreed by a variety of different sources).  Not only was he misrepresenting the cover's inker but he'd also duped a different (higher-regarded) artist to sign the artwork to quite deliberately push up the price. 

SD also has a number of Giordano/Trapani 'Nukla' pages which he claims are all ghosted by Steve Ditko.  The title ran for four issues, with the last one being penciled by Ditko.  That was good enough for SD to claim that Ditko had a hand in ALL of those issues.

How do I feel about SD as a seller?  I don't think my low opinion has ever changed.

Never a problem if you buy for what you see not what you're told. What point buying (and paying up) for the master's hand when that hand cannot be seen in the piece without a tall tale attached or a signature at the lower right? If you don't have or can't seem to develop that eye for quality...find a collector friend that has it. And be their best friend!

10 hours ago, The Voord said:

I cant tell you how many times They brought cover art to John Romita at conventions practically BEGGING john to sign their covers thatr john didnt draw......and john did sign covers at times "ONLY"  because he was the art director at that time and that the art "MAY HAVE" come across his desk at some point...that's it.

Edited by romitaman

16 hours ago, artdealer said:

Misrepresent artist attribution even in the face of overwhelming proof the artist in question didn’t draw it?

MI

There's this one, still on their site and still on CAF, that they refunded a buyer for at SD 2017, that Rob Liefeld himself called a "Fake" and that he swears he never touched. 

They were presented with all of this information directly and, well, Liefeld's name is what they lead with.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=392611

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=281478

2 minutes ago, davekarlen said:

but it's always a claim of a better artist over a lesser one. 

Right? "I have this page of Spider-Man art attributed to "Todd McFarlane" but I see Erik Larsen's hand all over it!"

On 10/30/2018 at 3:17 PM, comix4fun said:

There's this one, still on their site and still on CAF, that they refunded a buyer for at SD 2017, that Rob Liefeld himself called a "Fake" and that he swears he never touched. 

They were presented with all of this information directly and, well, Liefeld's name is what they lead with.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=392611

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=281478

Someone other than me should ask to see it at a con and rip it up right then and there. Restitution would be necessary, so we can all then pitch in $1 each and pay the fmv of a Chad Yaep lightboxed image.

Another one that come to mind is DC Tarzan pages attributed to Joe Kubert, really done by a Filipino artist. He did the roughs for most issues, but they were on separate sheets he sent to those artists. I don't think he did any penciling on the original pages, but did do corrections in ink after if need be, being the editor on those ERB books.