• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This The Earliest Artwork Featuring Batman?

4 posts in this topic

I've been curious about an artwork which we previously discussed on a different CGC thread.

We were talking about the earliest Batman original art and someone pointed me to this:

IMG_0448 copy.JPG

2017-08-03_163422.jpg

It's 1940, and the Nazis have just invaded France and banned all American comics. At the same time, a company called Sagedition have just purchased the rights to publish DC material in France. What do they do? They call Batman "Le Justicier" and get some French artists to re-draw Batman stories, starting with Detective Comics #30 (cover dated August 1939). Their first magazine is published in September 1940, called "Les Grandes Aventures" and contains this page of Batman material.

The earliest pages of American batman art come from Batman #9 and #13 (March-October 1942). 

So I wonder - Could this be the earliest original art featuring Batman?

If you want to quote this post please remove the images so this thread doesn't become a mile long. Thanks

Edited by Collectr

On 10/30/2018 at 5:30 AM, Collectr said:

The earliest pages of American batman art come from Batman #9 and #13 (March-October 1942). 

Again - there is a page from Batman #1 out there. So that would be earlier than Batman 9 or 13