• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your collection by the numbers
3 3

48 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Timely said:

I've been writing them down on paper since the 80's. Here's an older sheet of books I used to own back in 2000.

sheet.jpg

Owning that many Church books at one time is immoral, as it unfair to other collectors!  :foryou:

p.s. Three out of the last four books are kinda sorta (cough) noteworthy.  :whistle:

Back in the 70's I used 3" x 5" index cards. I think that I was up to about ten boxes of the cards before I used a computer in the late 80's to index them. The program I used was called Dataperfect. This program was made before computer mice were widely used so it is keyboard input only. I liked it because it gave me a total quantity of books along with the break down of which number of which comic I had. One flaw was you couldn't enter issue 0 (zero) of a run, had to enter 1 with a note that it was really issue zero. I stopped using that program in 1992.

Right now I am reading off and on on using OfficeLibre's Base program. Just as soon as I figure out the proper way to link tables and so forth then I'll be re-logging in my comics. I like the modern programs as I can insert a cover scan picture and other information that I couldn't do with Dataperfect. Also another pain with old DP is that I have to run a virtual machine with Win XP or older as it will not run with anything newer. 

Last winter I scanned one of my old homemade cedar long boxes of comics, I scanned the front and back covers, the indicia page plus the statement of ownership if an issue had it. (I am wondering if instead of a database if it would just be easier to keep track of my books just by the scanned files.) I have a file folder for each title, then inside each folder I have each issue listed as number, title, fc (front cover), rc (rear cover, I use rc so it will show up in order after the front cover), In for indicia, and soe for statement of ownership. So inside my Uncle Scrooge folder for example, I have listed the front cover scan as "002 Uncle Scrooge (Four Color No. 456) FC", the indicia page as "002 Uncle Scrooge (Four Color No. 456) IN", and the back cover as "002 Uncle Scrooge (Four Color No. 456) RC", and I would use SOE if it had a statement of ownership. One good this is if I ever wanted to find all of my comics that had a statement of ownership, I could just use the search string *SOE*.jpg. It took me a while to just finish scanning that one box of 425 issues, so I don't know how long it will take me to scan the rest. I figure that when I get back to doing it, if I could scan 10- 12 issues a day in my spare time, I should be done in close to 5 years.

2 minutes ago, 999ghosts said:

Still the best sofware to track comics (got over 12.000 comics tracked in this). Can see it on my PC and on my iPad and iPhone app

https://www.collectorz.com/comic

I use this as well and it is fantastic. Accessing on my phone is key so you can see what you need/don’t need etc.

To the OP, this tracks everything you mentioned and you can go nuts with any numbers you like. The cost is far from prohibitive as well.

I wrote a custom web UI that sits on top of a SQL server... tracking PurchaseDate, PricePaid, SoldDate, PriceSold, IsForSale, NeedToUpgrade, IsCGC, Grade, IssueNumber, Title, Publisher, Variant, Storyline, and Comments...

Front and Back cover scans + any additional scans (interior if necessary, pedigree documentation, whatever...)

about 15,000 books before I started trying to clean house...

Love having everything so accessible from pretty much anywhere... and having quick easy access to the scans.

I just have an open SQL page so I can report on pretty much whatever I can think of...

So much freaking work throughout the years, but it's worth it.

I know what I have, not how many.  Between 30-40 longs?  I just have a text document with lists of titles and numbers.  I don't keep track of grade or price paid.

Question for everyone: when you buy more than one comic at a time, and you get a discount on the stack, do you consider the discount when you record the price paid, or just note the original sticker price?  That's probably the main reason I don't keep track... it's fine when you're only buying one big book at a time, but when I was younger, I'd try to buy as big a pile of cheap stuff as I could afford, and I sometimes still do.

I track issue, condition (raw, CGC), age (gold, silver, etc), original asking price, actual price paid, current fair market value, where I got it (convention, dealer, website, etc), and any misc notes regarding the book or purchase. I have every single book tracked in a Google Sheet, accessible anywhere, anytime. 

I'm a data geek, so I enjoy organizing and managing my collection. 

I have a few hundred books, not thousands. 

19 minutes ago, ERTO said:
1 hour ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Like opening a kinder surprise, don't know what I'm in for

I just Googled that term as I had never heard of them. They are illegal in the USA

Better clear your browser history... :baiting:

:jokealert:

20 hours ago, ERTO said:

I just Googled that term as I had never heard of them. They are illegal in the USA!

seriously? my kid has eaten a million of them. never ate the plastic doo dads they are worried about.