• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

You've made this point three times, this being the third, and have made it well. It's a good point. It got my attention & I appreciate that.

My posts glossed past it & proceeded on to other related items but I didn't overlook it. 

Thank you for civil discourse and impersonal debate.

33 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

Also with respect, I'm pretty sure the stupidest thing I have ever read on these boards would be the amount of tangible annoyance that comic fans have for shows about comic book characters defying the law of science when it comes to one thing, which is throwing a shield made out of an imaginary metal. 

Not annoyed at all.  I personally didn't have a problem with the shield training scene.  

But suspension of disbelief is a fragile thing and can be broken by different things for different people.

27 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I don't think that's the contributor here when it comes to poorly conveyed storytelling. Respectfully. :tink:

One minute Sam is snatching that shield out of the air like it is the most natural thing. The next he is trying to catch it while flying through the air like a circus performer and each time he just can't do it. The two didn't add up. He already had the technique down on how to catch it and toss it. No matter how many somersaults he performed in taking on the Ringmaster. See what I mean?

Plus, one minute the shield can imbed itself 6 inches into a tree, the next he can catch it with his fingertips.

1 minute ago, drotto said:

Plus, one minute the shield can imbed itself 6 inches into a tree, the next he can catch it with his fingertips.

and it bounced off of a post on the dock/pier and came straight back instead of destroying the post and then in the next scene the tall and sturdy trees had protection on them. plus the physics of bouncing directly backwards when hitting a round surface are wonky as well. I thought it was some poor padding (in the show, not on the trees), but none of these shows ever escape some stretched storytelling, unfortunately it is often on these things that do not matter too much!

34 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I do understand that. You're not wrong... I'm just saying, why are some unrealistic things acceptable but this one isn't? I believe it's all acceptable in terms of being far-fetched because it's fantasy. Of course I'm not suggesting everyone has to think like me, this is an observation and not a judgment. 

Oh, I know. If we think about Daredevil, which went over amazingly strong for most folks, you are dealing with a normal person with heightened senses (other than his sight).

Though when I reflect on those fight scenes, Matt has worked his skills out early on and much of what we saw was down-in-the-bricks street fighting. God, I miss this show! :(

I don’t expect accurate physics, but I do expect internal consistency and logic in the world of the show. That is good storytelling. No one thinks lightsabers obey the laws of physics, but they are presented consistently in most of the Star Wars films. 
The shield throwing didn’t really bug me till episode 5. They just called so much attention to it via the montage and other scenes.

39 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Oh, I know. If we think about Daredevil, which went over amazingly strong for most folks, you are dealing with a normal person with heightened senses (other than his sight).

Though when I reflect on those fight scenes, Matt has worked his skills out early on and much of what we saw was down-in-the-bricks street fighting. God, I miss this show! :(

F&tWS inspired me to start rewatching. DD really knew how to do action. And they did such a good job communicating his powers...

4 hours ago, Drummy said:

ps the shield stuff bothers me less than some, but I agree it would take a 'super' person to do so without damage or danger.

This was a problem we had right out of the gate with this show. The opening of episode 1, Falcon with his high tech suit doesn’t immediately over take a guy that is just wearing some aerodynamic suit with no power source. meh

I get it was meant to be pop corn action but we just found it unbelievably distracting and a poor start to the show that others apparently seemed greatly entertained by. (shrug)

Also was it anyone else or were they just trying to fill out episode 5 air time by doing numerous and inexplicable slow motion shots in the episode?

Disney apparently doesn’t know how to handle the use of slow motion. The last episode of The Mighty Ducks featured a challenge of fastest slap shot speed recorded on a radar gun...the deciding shot was shown in slow motion...WTF :whatthe:

6 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Also was it anyone else or were they just trying to fill out episode 5 air time by doing numerous and inexplicable slow motion shots in the episode?

Disney apparently doesn’t know how to handle the use of slow motion. The last episode of The Mighty Ducks featured a challenge of fastest slap shot speed recorded on a radar gun...the deciding shot was shown in slow motion...WTF :whatthe:

They should leave slow motion to the experts. ;)
https://www.thegamer.com/snyder-cut-slow-motion-percentage/

Can anyone acknowledge the coolness of finally seeing a training montage with the Shield to begin with? In First Avenger, Steve picks up the Shield and throws it around in the heat of combat like he was already an Olympic-level frisbee thrower. Where did this ability come from? Was Basic Training all he needed? The guy had essentially been a 98 lb weakling his whole life so we can assume he wasn't great at sports. I can accept that the serum enhanced Steve's mental capacities a little, but at least a training montage or something showing him getting used to the Shield might have been cool in First Avenger. We finally got that in Episode 5 of FWS.

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Can anyone acknowledge the coolness of finally seeing a training montage with the Shield to begin with? In First Avenger, Steve picks up the Shield and throws it around in the heat of combat like he was already an Olympic-level frisbee thrower. Where did this ability come from? Was Basic Training all he needed? The guy had essentially been a 98 lb weakling his whole life so we can assume he wasn't great at sports. I can accept that the serum enhanced Steve's mental capacities a little, but at least a training montage or something showing him getting used to the Shield might have been cool in First Avenger. We finally got that in Episode 5 of FWS.

Fine, nice to have a training montage, but as repeatedly pointed out the montage makes no sense. The shield physics also make no sense.  Not saying super hero physics make sense at all, but they are usually in world consistent.  This was not.

11 minutes ago, drotto said:

Fine, nice to have a training montage, but as repeatedly pointed out the montage makes no sense. The shield physics also make no sense.  Not saying super hero physics make sense at all, but they are usually in world consistent.  This was not.

But isn't this a standing wink, inside joke, from Marvel.  In Civil War, during the battle scene at the airport, doesn't Peter Parker say something like "That thing doesn't obey the laws of physics at all, does it?"  Lots of things about Cap's shield haven't made sense for decades.  I guess I've just learned to go with it.

39 minutes ago, drotto said:

I explained in an above post how the Shield physics in FWS  make perfect sense to me (as someone who generally understands the laws of physics having paid attention in college and had a job once that required knowledge of said laws). Allowing for a little leeway in a superhero movie,  how does it not make sense? 

7 hours ago, Mephisto said:

Is the proper use of slow motion to just make every scene in the movie that doesn’t have dialogue be slow motion so that the movie feels like it’s 10 hours long?

I finally realized why my husband always asks if someone is a "real super hero" or a fake one? 

You all think they are real;)

These are fantasies, there are no vibrainium (sp) shields, wolverine really doesn't have retractable claws (or he'd scratch himself by accident in his sleep;) ...in a fantasy a shield like that could have a mind of it's own;) 

9 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Isn't this the WHAT ABOUTISM approach you used to detract from Captain America: The Winter Soldier? When multiple people noted this as their favorite MCU film, you wanted it to be First Avenger and commenced to peel apart Cap 2 to prove how 'not good' it was so as to build up Cap 1.

Which is nuts to see someone supposedly one of the biggest fans of the MCU ripping apart one its greatest films just so YOUR ideal film looks better.

So now because folks are not pleased with Falcon/Winter Soldier your sights are set on Cap 1 as not as well done in conveying Steve's superhero growth. Yet the reality was Steve was being trained up throughout the film. It just didn't overly focus on the topic.

Sam's non-enhanced skills are not being enhanced effectively in THIS show. No need to distract from that fact with 'But what about in this other thing...'

4 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I finally realized why my husband always asks if someone is a "real super hero" or a fake one? 

You all think they are real;)

These are fantasies, there are no vibrainium (sp) shields, wolverine really doesn't have retractable claws (or he'd scratch himself by accident in his sleep;) ...in a fantasy a shield like that could have a mind of it's own;) 

That's not it completely.

It's the show creators applying logic to the growth of a non-enhanced human to become the next Captain America. So like we see Matt Murdock in the Netflix show grow into the hero he becomes through trial and error, folks are just wanting the same logical progression.

The emotional growth is there. No question there. Including the engagement with Isaiah Bradley to learn how a black superhero was treated by his own country afterwards. And the relevancy to current times what is occuring in America is not missed by the show. So it would be a distraction if the show progression doesn't complement the final combined experience.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Isn't this the WHAT ABOUTISM approach you used to detract from Captain America: The Winter Soldier? When multiple people noted this as their favorite MCU film, you wanted it to be First Avenger and commenced to peel apart Cap 2 to prove how 'not good' it was so as to build up Cap 1.

Which is nuts to see someone supposedly one of the biggest fans of the MCU ripping apart one its greatest films just so YOUR ideal film looks better.

So now because folks are not pleased with Falcon/Winter Soldier your sights are set on Cap 1 as not as well done in conveying Steve's superhero growth. Yet the reality was Steve was being trained up throughout the film. It just didn't overly focus on the topic.

Sam's non-enhanced skills are not being enhanced effectively in THIS show. No need to distract from that fact with 'But what about in this other thing...'

Sam is already a battle tested Avenger and has extensive experience “flying” for the US military before that. He really doesn’t need physical enhancing  other than a little more finesse wielding the Shield at full speed, which is what the filmmakers of FWS gave us. What enhancement are you looking for? A shot of super serum? A Vibranium suit from the Wakandans? I guess we’ll never find out as Ep 5 was the last episode huh... Such nitpicking. Even John Walker didn’t get this much scrutiny.

8 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Sam is already a battle tested Avenger and has extensive experience “flying” for the US military before that. He really doesn’t need physical enhancing  other than a little more finesse wielding the Shield at full speed, which is what the filmmakers of FWS gave us. What enhancement are you looking for? A shot of super serum? A Vibranium suit from the Wakandans? I guess we’ll never find out as Ep 5 was the last episode huh... Such nitpicking. Even John Walker didn’t get this much scrutiny.

This from the fellow that saw Shazam and then noted in one tiny scene the director must be a racist as he had the Asian child actor strike himself in the head with nunchucks? :roflmao:

Sure. You'd have a leg to stand on. If everyone else was a narrative amputee and you were the only one left standing. Meanwhile, you just made the case why this was even a weaker storyline in Ep 5 as at this point all Sam had to do was refine his abilities of adding the shield to his fighting routine. Yet earlier in the show he was clearly and easily catching the shield like a baseball. Good on you noting this.

:baiting: