• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This from the fellow that saw Shazam and then noted in one tiny scene the director must be a racist as he had the Asian child actor strike himself in the head with nunchucks? :roflmao:

Sure. You'd have a leg to stand on. If everyone else was a narrative amputee and you were the only one left standing. Meanwhile, you just made the case why this was even a weaker storyline in Ep 5 as at this point all Sam had to do was refine his abilities of adding the shield to his fighting routine. Yet earlier in the show he was clearly and easily catching the shield like a baseball. Good on you noting this.

:baiting:

I already discussed in a post yesterday why the physics of Sam's Shield wielding make sense. When Sam and Bucky are essentially playing "catch" with the Shield, that's exactly what they are doing, just like a father and son might casually toss the baseball for a game of catch. Look at their body movements, the arc and speed of their swing. Their arms throw at a small arc. They are playing catch with the Shield. It's not until Sam is in his training montage that you see him widen his throwing arc, his arm throwing at greater speed. That's where Sam is having to perfect his Shield wielding, throwing the Shield at HIS full combat speed. Instead of playing father-son catch, Sam is now throwing fastballs.

And as I said in the above post, if the Shield leaves Sam's hands at a force and velocity that comes from Sam's strength, then he should have no problems catching the Shield as it returns because the Shield doesn't gain speed but actually should lose speed as it bounces off trees or fishing dock poles, taking into account the Shield is made of comic book Vibranium so probably doesn't lose that much energy. And again, if he's throwing the Shield casually, it's that much easier to catch it. If he's throwing it at HIS combat speed, with greater force and velocity, he will have more difficulty catching it, but it is still possible for him to catch it. With practice.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

17 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I already discussed in a post yesterday why the physics of Sam's Shield wielding make sense. When Sam and Bucky are essentially playing "catch" with the Shield, that's exactly what they are doing, just like a father and son might casually toss the baseball for a game of catch. Look at their body movements, the arc and speed of their swing. Their arms throw at a small arc. They are playing catch with the Shield. It's not until Sam is in his training montage that you see him widen his throwing arc, his arm throwing at greater speed. That's where Sam is having to perfect his Shield wielding, throwing the Shield at HIS full combat speed. Instead of playing father-son catch, Sam is now throwing fastballs.

And as I said in the above post, if the Shield leaves Sam's hands at a force and velocity that comes from Sam's strength, then he should have no problems catching the Shield as it returns because the Shield doesn't gain speed but actually should lose speed as it bounces off trees or fishing dock poles, taking into account the Shield is made of comic book Vibranium so probably doesn't lose that much energy. And again, if he's throwing the Shield casually, it's that much easier to catch it. If he's throwing it at HIS combat speed, with greater force and velocity, he will have more difficulty catching it, but it is still possible for him to catch it. With practice.

'As you have said' is nice. How it plays out on the screen and in the -script to the audience is a different matter. Right?

It's not a nitpick to want the story to convey the reality of the situation when it comes to a fictional world populated by superheroes and villains. Like you also have said, the reason Marvel is so popular is because it makes its heroes real-world and relatable to our everyday lives. So you can't make a statement like that and then change it up to "But this is a comic book production - SO THERE!"

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Sam is already a battle tested Avenger and has extensive experience “flying” for the US military before that. He really doesn’t need physical enhancing  other than a little more finesse wielding the Shield at full speed, which is what the filmmakers of FWS gave us. What enhancement are you looking for? A shot of super serum? A Vibranium suit from the Wakandans? I guess we’ll never find out as Ep 5 was the last episode huh... Such nitpicking. Even John Walker didn’t get this much scrutiny.

Looks like there are 6 episodes?

and both of you...hug it out  and dial it back a drop please...just a drop.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

'As you have said' is nice. How it plays out on the screen and in the --script to the audience is a different matter. Right?

It's not a nitpick to want the story to convey the reality of the situation when it comes to a fictional world populated by superheroes and villains. Like you also have said, the reason Marvel is so popular is because it makes its heroes real-world and relatable to our everyday lives. So you can't make a statement like that and then change it up to "But this is a comic book production - SO THERE!"

But...we already saw Walker training similarly with the shield - back *before* he had the super soldier serum. And using it in battle.

So the show had already established mere mortals could train with it; Sam here is no different.

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

But...we already saw Walker training similarly with the shield - back *before* he had the super soldier serum. And using it in battle.

So the show had already established mere mortals could train with it; Sam here is no different.

Where did you see I noted 'mere mortals' couldn't use the shield in battle? Even more that is why they WOULD need to train with it which Sam and Bucky were doing early on.

You know. Like real athletes, soldiers, first responders would do beforehand. Which it appeared they had down. Or did you think just anyone could start throwing Cap's shield and catching it like that?

On 4/18/2021 at 10:17 AM, Bosco685 said:

Here we go... "You don't like what I like? Well then..."

there_misogynist.gif.9eefe5cd2369fcf169899c0903aeb9ec.gif

thats_racist.gif.fe3010ea24e2fa9670e25319b92f0fd7.gif

Like the Joker states in 'The Dark Knight': "I wanted to see what you'd do. And you didn't disappoint...:facepalm:

You should add one saying THERE - MICROAGGRESSION! Then we could point our fingers all day long for everything that anyone does. Even with the best intentions, we can't please everyone unfortunately.

I felt Marvel was leaving a subtle hint about vaccinations with that Isaiah Bradley tetanus shot comment. Any less subtle, I bet there would be calls to boycott the show & throw it's writers under the bus, like they did with Letitia Wright on account of her comments.

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

You should add one saying THERE - MICROAGGRESSION! Then we could point our fingers all day long for everything that anyone does. Even with the best intentions, we can't please everyone unfortunately.

I felt Marvel was leaving a subtle hint about vaccinations with that Isaiah Bradley tetanus shot comment. Any less subtle, I bet there would be calls to boycott the show & throw it's writers under the bus, like they did with Letitia Wright on account of her comments.

there_breathing.gif.88a563c460fffee9a462f0e77370c93d.gif

Unfortunately some use any callout to detract from non-MCU productions - just because. Or even with a given MCU when they want to knock it down a peg or two.

It's an approach to life. Not a healthy one. But in small circles it works. :ohnoez:

Overall I've enjoyed this show and look forward to the finale, I'm hoping it sticks the landing. I haven't found the flag smasher baddies to be particularly interesting but Walker has been a great character, glad to see they are keeping him for more.

Sam training with the Shield is IMO one of the best scenes to ever come out of the MCU. Training montages in the MCU are already kind of rare (Iron Man 1, Ant-Man, and Dr Strange are it I believe), but to get one showing us how a guy learns to throw and catch the Shield at combat speeds is great.

On 4/18/2021 at 11:27 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 4/18/2021 at 10:29 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Nothing in the comics or the MCU has ever said that a normal human being can't throw and catch the Shield. Being a super soldier was never a prerequisite for wielding it. Wakandans use Vibranium weapons with deadly accuracy and force and they're not super-powered. And if you consider that the Shield is just a glorified frisbee or Olympic discus, just a little bigger and maybe a little heavier, then it works with the same laws of classical mechanics and Newtonian laws of motion in physics, allowing for a little leeway as it's a comic book action movie.

I'm willing to suspend disbelief, because the show isn't about the physics of the shield, and would quickly become a parody if it followed the laws of physics and Cap had to go retrieve his shield EVERY TIME he threw it. That said, if we're meant to believe that the shield, when thrown at enemy combatants, can incapacitate them, but it doesn't if you manage to catch it with your normal human fingers, then that's a little bit of a problem. For me, the show is doing a great job of character-building and establishing the motivations of all of the different parties involved that makes you sympathetic o all of them when considering their side, so I'll overlook the shield, because that's so baked into Captain America that you've got to let *something* go if you want to see comics on the screen.

Yea I gave up questioning the reality of bouncing the shield back or catching it decades ago back when they were doing it in the comics.  It doesn't make sense in almost any way I can work out, but meh, I'm kinda fine with it.  It's dumb, but only a little.  (shrug)

On 4/18/2021 at 3:04 PM, adampasz said:

No one thinks lightsabers obey the laws of physics

Those may eventually prove to be possible, and we're doing something vaguely similar already with the fusion reactors being worked on diligently by multiple groups and portrayed throughout science fiction (Tony Stark's ARC reactor, Star Trek's warp reactor, etc).  They're a miniaturized version of the general physics behind the way a tokamak contains plasma with magnetic fields, except that instead of being shaped like a torus it has a long, cylindrical shape. 

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Sam training with the Shield is IMO one of the best scenes to ever come out of the MCU. Training montages in the MCU are already kind of rare (Iron Man 1, Ant-Man, and Dr Strange are it I believe), but to get one showing us how a guy learns to throw and catch the Shield at combat speeds is great.

Oh man. You have to go check out Captain Marvel. The greatest Disney (if any film) movie ever made! And pure Disney magic. It's incredible!

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Oh man. You have to go check out Captain Marvel. The greatest Disney (if any film) movie ever made! And pure Disney magic. It's incredible!

This is a great film, and one of the few MCU films with a character arc that happens throughout the entire movie's three acts. Iron Man can't say that. Captain America First Avenger can't say that. Thor can say that.

The above scene from Captain Marvel, however, isn't a training montage, so it's irrelevant to the discussion of great training montages in the MCU.