• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2021 at 7:30 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Let me break down the power of Sam's training montage for the jaded and insensitive types.

Yes, there are bigger battle scenes in the MCU with lots of explosions or much grittier scenes of heroes dying or struggling, but Sam finally accepting the mantle and training with the Shield is IMO a turning point for both the MCU and comic book movies.

There is the quiet social implication of an African-American man accepting the mantle of Captain America within the MCU story and also being allowed by a major cultural gatekeeper, Disney, to become Captain America in the first place. When Sam's nephews (is one of them Jim Wilson btw?) touch the Shield with their fingers and he smiles down at them, it represents within the super-hero comic book culture which has taken over the world, that a black kid in America can strive for something greater and maybe achieve it. And not only does Sam accept the mantle of the Shield, we see him indeed succeed with it as he starts off fumbling the Shield at full speed but then progresses to someone who can wield the Shield deserving of Captain America, maybe just not with as much oomph behind the throws that you'd get from a super soldier. With this montage, Sam proves that he's physically deserving of the Shield's legacy.

Training montages can be some of the most powerful scenes from movies. In Rocky, the best scene is arguably our hero running through the streets of Philly with a crowd behind him as he breaks away and runs up the steps to the Philly Museum of Art. Here, the movie shows that not only is the world inspired by this underdog, but that our hero finally believes in himself after years of self-doubt. As much as I love the MCU, we just don't get a lot of scenes like that. The training/power-up montages of Iron Man or Ant-Man were humorous and well done, but lacked the Rocky-like seriousness of Sam's training montage. Like Rocky, Sam finally believes he is worthy of the Shield, and when he catches it as it's about to take his head off, he proves he's also capable of wielding the Shield. Also throw in a full orchestra emotional version of Sam's theme music and it's a very emotional scene. For me at least.

If anything, it's the best scene IMO in Falcon and the Winter Soldier. And for me, it's one of the most powerful single scenes I've seen in an MCU film.

It's a pretty bad scene.

13 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

That 2nd trailer looks really interesting.

This must mean Old Man Steve Rogers is going to take back the Shield in Ep 6 because after watching Sam's training montage in Episode 5, his feeling was that Sam wasn't proficient enough with the Shield yet and maybe 'Murica isn't ready for a black Captain America after all. Steve will come out of retirement, reassume the mantle, and the next movie will be Old Man Cap. Go ahead and schedule it.

13 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

That 2nd trailer looks really interesting.

3 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

TBH I wish you hadn't posted that. Would've been a nice surprise. =/

18 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

This must mean Old Man Steve Rogers is going to take back the Shield in Ep 6 because after watching Sam's training montage in Episode 5, his feeling was that Sam wasn't proficient enough with the Shield yet and maybe 'Murica isn't ready for a black Captain America after all. Steve will come out of retirement, reassume the mantle, and the next movie will be Old Man Cap. Go ahead and schedule it.

Guys you know both those trailers are deep fakes right? Steve isn't coming back, Falcon is Cap now, don't expect to see Steve at all.

2 hours ago, TupennyConan said:

Isn't 'Murica code or dogwhistle for hatred of the USA?

From the internet, the arbiter of ultimate truth: 

Murica or 'Murika is a slang term for America which is used to denote extreme patriotism, coupled with aspects of a redneck or southern American stereotypesimilar those featured in the advice animalsRedneck Randal or Almost Politically Correct Redneck. It can also be found on image macros to either support or criticize American stereotypes.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

From the internet, the arbiter of ultimate truth: 

Murica or 'Murika is a slang term for America which is used to denote extreme patriotism, coupled with aspects of a redneck or southern American stereotypesimilar those featured in the advice animalsRedneck Randal or Almost Politically Correct Redneck. It can also be found on image macros to either support or criticize American stereotypes.

Yes, it's a hateful insult. The internet is correct, yet again.

Here's the problem I've had with this series all along.

The characters just aren't likeable enough to carry a 6 episode series. The story is meh, and the lack of personality of both leads is not enough to make me want to see what's next like I did with Wandavision. Two characters that I've been very critical of. But the entire cast, including the leads made the series Must See Tv. 

It's been OK but I mainly watch because it's super hero related. If it ended 2 episodes earlier, I wouldn't have noticed or really cared.

Is Sam someone you can't wait to see in what he does next? The worse thing about it is that they totally killed the Winter Soldier in the process. He's become lame in the process of this show.