• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

Well that was a finale!

Oh well.

Spoiler

So now we have U.S. Agent and the new Agent Carter as the Power Broker

I think the Flag Smashers were the issue with me. You're only as engaged and feeling intensity by your antagonists. Other than Karli the rest were window dressing.

34 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Well that was a finale!

Oh well.

Hide contents

So now we have U.S. Agent and the new Agent Carter as the Power Broker

I think the Flag Smashers were the issue with me. You're only as engaged and feeling intensity by your antagonists. Other than Karli the rest were window dressing.

I have yet to see the finale but this show is so good I went ahead and clicked your spoiler tag.  Thank you for saving me the 45 mins or so I would never get back.  It’s unfortunate that with this high-level of production the story is just garbage. 

2 hours ago, Rip said:

The Flag Smashers just aren't very good villains.

35 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Well the series has Sam Wilson empathizing with the leader of the Flag Smashers and refusing to engage in combat with her at the end. Obviously Falcon and Winter Soldier isn't a cut-and-dry good guy vs bad guy typical melodrama action story. Evildoings in this show were spread out between the U.S. Government, the GRC, the Flag Smashers, Batroc, John Walker, Val, and I guess Sharon Carter now. The show seemed to be more about two things: establishing the messiness of the post-Thanos world and Sam Wilson proving that he was it takes on the inside to carry on the legacy of Steve Rogers by dealing with all the different antagonists in his own way. His super-power really does seem to be what he said it is, the power of believing there's a better way. After all, he did accomplish what the Flag Smashers couldn't do with all their super serums, get the GRC to stop the resetting of international borders which would have resulted in millions of people losing their homes.

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

I'd rather enjoy a decent show (F&WS) than talk about an awful one (WandaVision). (shrug)

?

I liked Falcon and the Winter Soldier - and really thought they stuck the landing with this episode.

But it's not in the same league as WandaVision - which was original, audacious, and nearly flawless in its execution. They literally took a pair of D-list characters and crafted a crazy entertaining mystery around them that gave them both complexity and psychological depth. I can't even imagine how the pitch meeting for that series went.

By comparison, Falcon and the Winter Soldier was a solid spy story, but nothing we haven't seen before - and better done - in shows like Homeland, The Americans, Jack Ryan, etc.

And honestly, it could have been folded into a half-season arc of Agents of Shield and I don't think anyone would have noticed much difference.

Again - good, and I *really* like this last episode and what they've set up for a season 2 - but WandaVision it wasn't.

Edited by Gatsby77

In both WandaVision and Falcon Winter Soldier, there is no clear cut single uber-villain to channel audience apathy. In WandaVision, the real antagonist is her own grief. In FWS, the real antagonist is a lack of empathy in the world. And in both shows, both Wanda and Sam power up not by beating everything to submission, but by using their heads.

Marvel Studios is exploring new ways of telling these super-hero comic book stories. It's different. I like it.

I think we're past the three hour No Spoiler window or whatever it is, so...

What about SAM WILSON AS CAPTAIN AMERICA?!?

I have to admit it was a little culture shocking to see him flying around in the new suit and officially wielding the Shield right out of the gate. Maybe a little awkward for everyone, too. It was just like, first five minutes of the show and BAM! there it is.

It took a little getting used to it, but by the halfway point, it all seemed pretty natural to me. Uncle Sam is off to a good start as the new Cap and wears the mantle well. I think there will be a Season Two.

What I didn't like in this episode is knowing the old man had come to terms with the loss of his son, why bring all that pain up again to reveal he killed him?

Sure, it makes Bucky feel like he did the right thing. But you bring the pain and anguish all back again for the old man that his son was actually murdered by the guy that pretended to be his friend.

:facepalm:

31 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I think we're past the three hour No Spoiler window or whatever it is, so...

What about SAM WILSON AS CAPTAIN AMERICA?!?

I watched with closed captioning on, and during the scene with the helicopter, the subtitles refer to him as "Captain America." That was a bit jarring.

24 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I watched with closed captioning on, and during the scene with the helicopter, the subtitles refer to him as "Captain America." That was a bit jarring.

I have subtitles on too so I don't wake anybody up but I didn't notice that. I'll have to take another look.

Not sure I get the culture shock since it seems as if most of us already have known Falcon would probably become Cap after Endgame and knew it happened that way in the comics back in 2014.  It never meant much to me since I look at superheroes as individuals so the idea of Captain America being a title seemed unnatural and I never took to it.

RCO019.jpg RCO020.jpg

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Not sure I get the culture shock since it seems as if most of us already have known Falcon would probably become Cap after Endgame and knew it happened that way in the comics back in 2014.  It never meant much to me since I look at superheroes as individuals so the idea of Captain America being a title seemed unnatural and I never took to it.

RCO019.jpg RCO020.jpg

In the comics, though, we all knew it wouldn't last and that Steve Rogers would be Cap again. It's also a comic book. There's a little more power to it seeing it live on TV and officially in the MCU, and also knowing that Marvel isn't going backwards on MCU Sam Wilson being Captain America. It wasn't a BIG culture shock, but it was a shock (for me) seeing Sam in the Red, White, and Blue for the first time in the MCU.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Also, how about SHARON CARTER?!? When newly pardoned "Agent" Carter walked down the Capitol steps with cell phone in hand making new world changing deals in the end credits, the days of the ladies being handmaids in the MCU officially ended.

Black Widow has been driving home that point since Iron Man 2. I never saw her as anyone's handmaid.

Even in Captain America: The Winter Soldier she was a powerhouse that was following her own direction by playing in and out of Cap's mission.