• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know what this Mike Allred X-Statix vs. Avengers piece was used for?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what the Mike Allred Avengers vs. X-Statix piece below was used for?  I was told that it was a variant cover for issue #21, but, I can't find any scans of such a comic online anywhere.  Wondering if it may have been a poster, house ad, unused cover, pin-up?  Anyone out there know for sure? 

Whatever it is, it's awesome. :cloud9: 

Allred Xstatix vs Avengers.jpg

Just now, delekkerste said:

Does anyone know what the Mike Allred Avengers vs. X-Statix piece below was used for?  I was told that it was a variant cover for issue #21, but, I can't find any scans of such a comic online anywhere.  Wondering if it may have been a poster, house ad, unused cover, pin-up?  Anyone out there know for sure? 

Whatever it is, it's awesome. :cloud9: 

Allred Xstatix vs Avengers.jpg

The VS. might indicate is collecting/trading/role-playing card art from the VERSUS series, of which there are many permutations, and you can go crazy trying to find a published example if that's what this is.  Because, cards.  Lots of them!

Best, David

32 minutes ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

And....Mike confirmed it was published in the Omnibus of the X-Statix run, but didn't elaborate on why it was done.  Maybe the book itself notes it, but I personally don't have a copy of it.  So it's a published pin-up it seems.  And yes, a very cool piece!

Always great to get confirmation direct from the artist.

11 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

And....Mike confirmed it was published in the Omnibus of the X-Statix run, but didn't elaborate on why it was done.  Maybe the book itself notes it, but I personally don't have a copy of it.  So it's a published pin-up it seems.  And yes, a very cool piece!

Thanks, SImon!

The thing I notice, compositionally, is that he left that top portion open for trade dress. Mike’s pretty much a master of composition, so my money would be on it having been created with the intent of cover use and for one reason or other wasn’t.

Obviously he was able to publish later, but I just don’t see Mike jamming all those characters so tightly in the bottom 4/5ths of the page if he could use the top 5th as well.

-e.

p.s, what are you waiting for? Get this to Coollines for some trade dress, stat!:idea:

18 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

p.s, what are you waiting for? Get this to Coollines for some trade dress, stat!:idea:

I don't know if the piece passed through Coollines at some point or what, but, someone dressed it up already. :eek: 

Anyone know if this piece made it to the omnibus, or anywhere else?  I've had it for years but all this talk about the book has me wanting to post it - and obviously credit it appropriately!  I don't believe it was used for the TPB cover as the art indicates - I already checked that.  Thoughts? Other than of course buying the omnibus, which I'll do shortly...

1433514972_Scan_20181102(4)1020.jpg.e20cf3c10c76e4fc6e94315f7c1dd28a.jpg