• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Undeserved Purple Label???

15 posts in this topic

So I had a 1 inch tear on the cover of a Showcase #30 with a small "micro" piece of tape on the interior cover.  I removed the tape since I did not want a note about the tape and I know it would not add to the grade per CGC policy anyway, but it left a little tape residue over the tear.  You could even see the a very faint outline from the tape, so I figured CGC would figure this out, not restoration, only tape removed!  Just got the notes back 7.0 with a purple label B1 tear seal.  (on that same spot)     So I guess I should have left the tape there and it would have gotten a blue label with a note of a tiny piece of tape!!!  :mad:    I totally disagree with the tear seal note when you can obviously see the outline from where the micro tape was!!!

6 minutes ago, TC33 said:

So I had a 1 inch tear on the cover of a Showcase #30 with a small "micro" piece of tape on the interior cover.  I removed the tape since I did not want a note about the tape and I know it would not add to the grade per CGC policy anyway, but it left a little tape residue over the tear.  You could even see the a very faint outline from the tape, so I figured CGC would figure this out, not restoration, only tape removed!  Just got the notes back 7.0 with a purple label B1 tear seal.  (on that same spot)     So I guess I should have left the tape there and it would have gotten a blue label with a note of a tiny piece of tape!!!  :mad:    I totally disagree with the tear seal note when you can obviously see the outline from where the micro tape was!!!

First off, that was a bad decision to remove the tape yourself. You should have had it professionally removed by them. You should be able to salvage the situation by having them professionally remove the tape residue.

Tape is tape and it gets a note and blue label.  Rice paper/japan paper indicates professional piece repair or tear support, so it would get a resto designation.  I figured CGC was smart enough to see a faint outline of tape over the tear and still classify it as unrestored since it would have been classified as unrestored had I left the tape there!  Ugh!!!  

I remember I had a SA key that obviously had a tear seal with some white powdery residue from glue. I gave it to Matt, when he was in Texas, for removal and it still got a Purple label. I had to give it to Matt two more times, for a total of 3 submissions, before CGC gave it a clean bill of health. It appears they can be very strict on this with any hint, even on a micro level, getting the hammer.  I wonder if attaching a note about the tape removal would have helped ? Not sure if they would pass a note along to the graders or not ?

5 hours ago, TC33 said:

I think I did put a post it note on the comic sleeve, but I doubt they passed it onto the grader.  :(

I agree with your earlier comment that the graders must have seen the outline of the removed tape. So, assuming they knew what happened, I wonder if the residue was still performing a task = it was still holding something together ? In that case, the graders probably felt obligated to deem it restoration. Trust me, I'm on your side with this and want to see you get the correct label but I think the best thing to do is to send it back and get the residue glue removed. 

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree with your earlier comment that the graders must have seen the outline of the removed tape. So, assuming they knew what happened, I wonder if the residue was still performing a task = it was still holding something together ? In that case, the graders probably felt obligated to deem it restoration. Trust me, I'm on your side with this and want to see you get the correct label but I think the best thing to do is to send it back and get the residue glue removed. 

This was my thought also like I mentioned earlier that the residue is adhesive sealing the tear.

13 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I wonder if the residue was still performing a task = it was still holding something together ? In that case, the graders probably felt obligated to deem it restoration. 

This.

The tape was removed, but likely some of the adhesive remained and in some way is still "sealing the tear".  It could be as easy as "popping" open the tear again.

Or removing whatever adhesive residue remains to ensure it doesn't get pegged as resto, and or prevent the pages and cover from sticking together down the road.

Should be an easy enough task.  Just a costly one with additional shipping, and re slabbing fees.   :-(

I'd be happy to remove it for you free of charge if it helps ease the sting of  "finding out the hard way"

We've all been there.

6 hours ago, Ze-man said:

This.

The tape was removed, but likely some of the adhesive remained and in some way is still "sealing the tear".  It could be as easy as "popping" open the tear again.

Or removing whatever adhesive residue remains to ensure it doesn't get pegged as resto, and or prevent the pages and cover from sticking together down the road.

Should be an easy enough task.  Just a costly one with additional shipping, and re slabbing fees.   :-(

I'd be happy to remove it for you free of charge if it helps ease the sting of  "finding out the hard way"

We've all been there.

wow, nice to see a post from you. :)