• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Comics to Yap About - Brought to you by Lyria

19 posts in this topic

A colleague and friend of mine posted this on the google plus social page and I thought to share it with everyone here. It was well written and caught me off guard.

** Warning - this is all speculative and something of a shameless plug :foryou: **

Modern Comics to Yap About - Brought to you by Lyria

Today's topic is less about a specific book and more about a character: Kate Bishop. Many don't know her, but it seems she could become a household name as the replacement for an aging Clint Barton as Hawkeye.

Why Now?
Recent news/gossip is Marvel Studios is working on a Hawkeye project and actress Katherine Langford secretly joined the cast of Avengers 4. Moreover, Renner (the current actor playing Hawkeye) has acknowledged he's not getting any younger and won't be able to play the character forever. This has spun up into some interesting speculation that a protege for Hawkeye is coming and that, per the comics, Kate Bishop is that protege (to be played by Langford).

What books?
In just the past few days, several books have skyrocketed in sales volume and price.

- Young Avengers 1: This is the 1st appearance of Kate Bishop as well as the 1st appearance of various other members of that team (Hulkling, Iron Lad, Patriot, and Asgardian). There is a 1st print, a Director's cut, a Wizworld Sketch cover and a Toybiz reprint. Currently, the Sketch cover is getting the most attention followed by the regular cover. The Director's cut is selling pretty well but at a lower price. From my experience, the Toybiz reprint is the absolute hardest to find in any grade. Another poster thought people could just buy Young Avengers box sets and get the comic, but my research shows they are including the Director's Cut version in current box sets, NOT the reprint. Perhaps someone else can chime in on which Action Figure boxes actually have the Reprint because I'm not seeing any on Amazon, eBay, etc. Overall, there just aren't a lot of high grade copies out there right now, but if you want a 9.8 of the reg or Sketch you'll be paying $300+ (and maybe even $500+ for the sketch). My guess is people are scrambling to get their copies graded so we'll see a major inflow of the books and the prices will come down. Now is a good time to sell if you have 9.8 copies.

- Young Avengers 12: This is the cameo of Kate Bishop as Hawkeye. Captain America (through another character) gives Kate Barton's bow & quiver AND gives her the codename "Hawkeye". This book is still a bit under the radar but is picking up. This book came out almost 2 years before the 1st full appearance of Kate Bishop as Hawkeye.

- Young Avengers Presents #6: 1st full appearance of Kate Bishop as Hawkeye. This one is a bit more well known, but I actually like YA 12 as the better sleeper/value.

Personally, I think we're at about the peak right now. Remember, its Hawkeye after all. A long time staple of the Avengers, but not a tier 1 character. The prices are as they are because its new and exciting. There may be another bump if we see a preview with a woman holding a bow, but I still think we just got the big bump. While I still like the spec longer term, I'd sell what you can now, wait for the major inflow of books, then perhaps buy as the prices drop. However, the days of finding the dollar bin books in this list are coming to an end. Grab them now!!

More about Lyria
I spotted this one sale of YA Presents 6 on Lyria, but expect more will pop up for this and the other books very soon. If you want to stay on top of hot eBay sales trends for graded books, go to:

lyriacomicexchange.com

create an account, and sign up for the twice weekly email notifications based on comic age (Silver, Bronze, Copper, Modern). If you really want to support the project, check out the hottest active eBay items for sale through the Lyria page (filters that show you the most expensive, most active, etc. slabs on eBay), click through to eBay from a Lyria link, and purchase the book you're interested in. We're a free service to you as our only revenue stream is through eBay click throughs.

Full Disclosure: I own many copies of YA 1, YA 12 and YAP 6, although I sold all my graded copies right after the news broke.

Not to rain on the Kate Bishop parade, but....

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/avengers/avengers_4/avengers-4-katherine-langfords-role-may-have-been-revealed-and-its-a-shocker-spoilers-a164421

"There's been a lot of speculation about who Katherine Langford could be playing in Avengers 4 since she was cast last week and most fans are convinced that she'll be suiting up as Hawkeye (either as Clint Barton's daughter from the future or as Young Avengers member Kate Bishop). 

Well, some of those theories were sort of right because a new report claims that she will be playing a descendant of one of the original six Avengers from around twenty years in the future following the events of Avengers: Infinity War. 

However, she's not Hawkeye's daughter! 

Instead, it's said that Langford is going to be playing the daughter of..

Spoiler

Tony Stark and Pepper Potts."

12 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/avengers/avengers_4/avengers-4-katherine-langfords-role-may-have-been-revealed-and-its-a-shocker-spoilers-a164421

"There's been a lot of speculation about who Katherine Langford could be playing in Avengers 4 since she was cast last week and most fans are convinced that she'll be suiting up as Hawkeye (either as Clint Barton's daughter from the future or as Young Avengers member Kate Bishop). 

Well, some of those theories were sort of right because a new report claims that she will be playing a descendant of one of the original six Avengers from around twenty years in the future following the events of Avengers: Infinity War. 

Hide contents

just a rumor and not one source in that article.

13 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Reveal hidden contents

:ohnoez:

On 10/31/2018 at 12:29 PM, whetteon said:

Full Disclosure: I own many copies of YA 1, YA 12 and YAP 6, although I sold all my graded copies right after the news broke.

My disclosure: I have a book that I've considered to be one of the hardest to find real modern keys: WWLA YA 1 Wizard First CGC 9.5

The Wizard First program was a gimmicky program run in partnership with CGC to get hot-off-the-presses books into slabs and given a uniform 9.5 early in the professional grading game.

This example of the 1st app of YA is usually available on feebay but never in large numbers.

8 hours ago, PoorBaby said:
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:14 PM, camera73 said:

The Wizard First program was a gimmicky program run in partnership with CGC to get hot-off-the-presses books into slabs and given a uniform 9.5 early in the professional grading game

Actually they were not given a uniform 9.5 grade, there were 3 grades they could get: 9.0, 9.5, or a 10. Wizard ended the program because they weren't getting enough 10s (which CGC warned them would probably happen).

It was a conflict of interest issue. You can publish a price guide and produce and slab comics. Wizard never understood that. 

Some spec sites are going to learn the same lesson as they partner with online retailers and promote their variants.

17 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

It was a conflict of interest issue. You can publish a price guide and produce and slab comics. Wizard never understood that. 

Some spec sites are going to learn the same lesson as they partner with online retailers and promote their variants.

How / why? They will possibly have to stop paying for their domain name? G+ is free. 

We are in a different era. The past is irrelevant.

Edited by ygogolak

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
17 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

How / why? They will possibly have to stop paying for their domain name? G+ is free. 

We are in a different era. The past is irrelevant.

Obviously this is a little more important to you then me.
If you cant see the potential problem or the previous problems they have
already have had nothing I say to will change your opinion.

Past or present the problem is the same. You cant report on comics, promotes sales of
comics from retailers, allow reports from ebay sellers, without some sort of conflict of
interest either in the past.(Several times) or in the future. Its just a reality. I am not 
sure it can be avoided entirely ever in the digital age.

57 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Obviously this is a little more important to you then me.
If you cant see the potential problem or the previous problems they have
already have had nothing I say to will change your opinion.

Past or present the problem is the same. You cant report on comics, promotes sales of
comics from retailers, allow reports from ebay sellers, without some sort of conflict of
interest either in the past.(Several times) or in the future. Its just a reality. I am not 
sure it can be avoided entirely ever in the digital age.

Why is it important to me? I don't have any ownership in anything but comics.

If you rely on "spec" sites, like the CGC forums, that's fine. But don't be upset when things go sideways.

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Why is it important to me? I don't have any ownership in anything but comics.

If you rely on "spec" sites, like the CGC forums, that's fine. But don't be upset when things go sideways.

Please don't lump us in with other sites. By now you should know this sites is quite a bit different then others.

I don't rely on spec sites for anything I do my own research and have for 20 years.

11 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Please don't lump us in with other sites. By now you should know this sites is quite a bit different then others.

I don't rely on spec sites for anything I do my own research and have for 20 years.

Why didn't you answer my question?

The CGC forums have more eyeballs on them than any "spec" site. To say this isn't a market changer would be like saying you should use CraigsList over eBay.

On 11/7/2018 at 12:14 AM, camera73 said:

My disclosure: I have a book that I've considered to be one of the hardest to find real modern keys: WWLA YA 1 Wizard First CGC 9.5

The Wizard First program was a gimmicky program run in partnership with CGC to get hot-off-the-presses books into slabs and given a uniform 9.5 early in the professional grading game.

This example of the 1st app of YA is usually available on feebay but never in large numbers.

Its weird that its an Wizard LA variant yet its graded for Wizard Philly con.  You would think it would be a Philly variant rather than Los Angeles. Were they left overs from the Los Angeles con?

We really do need a place to talk about Moderns that aren't popular enough to warrant their own thread.  Hopefully this is the new home for that.

That being said, is anyone reading Venom?  I just read Venom #9 last night and the narration in those opening panels blew me away.  It just felt so personal, like Donny was writing from the heart from some personal heartache.  Some of the best words to page I've seen in years.

image.thumb.png.3e7033e2d08486c4a7612f31c482154c.png

image.thumb.png.ce95b756e0fdbe6616b659f66a0a633e.png

image.thumb.png.ada6f483879b8e1dbabed5cbd4fd67bb.png

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

We really do need a place to talk about Moderns that aren't popular enough to warrant their own thread.  Hopefully this is the new home for that.

That being said, is anyone reading Venom?  I just read Venom #9 last night and the narration in those opening panels blew me away.  It just felt so personal, like Donny was writing from the heart from some personal heartache.  Some of the best words to page I've seen in years.

This thread is basically a second "Heating Up" thread.

I think I'm up to 6 on Venom. Really liking it for the most part.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

This thread is basically a second "Heating Up" thread.

I think I'm up to 6 on Venom. Really liking it for the most part.

A lot of the discussion that seems to occur in the "heating up" thread seems to be related to book value on the secondary market though.  Admittedly, there are a lot of times where the strength of the content is what drives the books value.  So it stands to reason that a book with a first appearance or a fan favorite artist or an upcoming movie would likely see a place for discussion both here and in the "heating up" thread.  I guess I'm looking for a place to discuss the content of books without flooding sub-forums with short lived threads that might be about singular issues.

But that aside, Venom is definitely one of my favorite books out of Marvel at the moment.  Considering how much marketing they do with the character in terms of crossovers and variant covers, it could be easy to see people getting burned out.  So it's nice to see a book out there that does a great job focusing on telling a good Venom story as opposed to "Venomized covers" or other such gimmicks..

On 12/14/2018 at 4:26 PM, ExNihilo said:

A lot of the discussion that seems to occur in the "heating up" thread seems to be related to book value on the secondary market though.  Admittedly, there are a lot of times where the strength of the content is what drives the books value.  So it stands to reason that a book with a first appearance or a fan favorite artist or an upcoming movie would likely see a place for discussion both here and in the "heating up" thread.  I guess I'm looking for a place to discuss the content of books without flooding sub-forums with short lived threads that might be about singular issues.

But that aside, Venom is definitely one of my favorite books out of Marvel at the moment.  Considering how much marketing they do with the character in terms of crossovers and variant covers, it could be easy to see people getting burned out.  So it's nice to see a book out there that does a great job focusing on telling a good Venom story as opposed to "Venomized covers" or other such gimmicks..

It's definitely my favorite book right now. It's different than any previous Venom stories. It's a character driven story rather than a smash 'em up, look at my tongue book. What he's already done with the Venom history/mythology in the first few issues (plus Ve'Nam & First Host) is nothing short of amazing. Cates' tweets are usually pretty entertaining also.