• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone here buying into monoprints
1 1

225 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Not exactly. The artist is selling the company the right to use his artistry for a story (and maybe other things) and reprints. The artist, however, owns the original artwork and can make copies of it as well unless the agreement with the artist restricts them (which it probably does). 

I dunno. Any artists that are under recent and current agreement with Big Two or any non-creator-owned properties want to comment?

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

If Fiona Staples sold an “Exclusive 1/1 print” of the cover to Saga #1, would you pay the requisite $10K+ she’d probably ask for it? 

I can get a fabulous modern pencil & ink Batman cover for less than that. 

Me? I’ve never read Saga, so no. And if I had. Still no. Too much else out there for my $. Maybe the worlds biggest Saga fan? Who knows. Someone showed me a thing today where someone was paid 5 times that for a rare beanie baby in recent history. So whatever floats yer boat. :)

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

Me? I’ve never read Saga, so no. And if I had. Still no. Too much else out there for my $. Maybe the worlds biggest Saga fan? Who knows. Someone showed me a thing today where someone was paid 5 times that for a rare beanie baby in recent history. So whatever floats yer boat. :)

I didn't think that was real, but did you mean 68x? :(

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/g24162108/most-expensive-valuable-beanie-babies-collectible/

10 hours ago, Twanj said:

Nah, it was a recent auction for a black bear or something that actually sold at like $56k. We were at work discussing the difference between asking prices and actually selling to someone. 

I trotted out my Dad’s sage advice that something was only worth the price someone else will actually pay you for it. 

So the guy at work brings up this auction site, (wasn’t eBay) and shows me this beanbag bear sold for a chunk. And here I thought the bottom fell out of those. Shows what I know. O.o

If I had to have the digital only image in my house on the wall I would just print it myself. There are of course tons of spectacular digital art out there and I collect those high resolution images in a file on my desktop. They look great as backgrounds on my 4K monitor.

I have only commissioned one artist for digital coloring of some of my unpublished original art and she is spectacular and very inexpensive. She emails me the final copies in JPG and TIF formats in case I want to create a print but I never do. Extremely satisfied to just admire it on screen.

The word print in this sense truly negates it's originality.  It will never be original, one of one print is a print by definition. Olden days, the blocks were original imho.  Computerized, no original exists except as digitized data, literally ones and zeros to be all matrix on ya, which is corruptible and entirely dependent on technology to even interpret and visualize.  It's just nonsense, regardless of which type of art we speak of.  Mono print as defined by uniquely applying inks, fine...still a print. Still not original, despite partial color variations, still a print.  Original art should mean exactly that and nothing else.  The pencils only, blueline pencils digitized with original inks, pencils and inks originals market is getting hard enough to decipher in current times.  One of one is my goal.  But by hand, and exclusively touched and created by an artist, using skilled methods and tools, not an artist using a digital medium contributing to skynet's understanding of the only thing that truly separates us from the animals. 

19 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

"Screen used" print with some acrylic embellishments $800.

I think the first week these were listed they were $1000. At $30 they'd still be over priced IMO.  :/

KENT WILLIAMS art   doh!

Saw those. What's disappointing, really disappointing, is that DC and the show budget figured big ol' printouts with Thomas Kinkade-like embellishments by 'other hands' was the way to go for the 'art' on the show to begin with. Lame-o. For prop collectors, but not comic oa, these could be interesting. They are certainly listed in the wrong category ;)

5 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Just buy the comic and make a print from the comic at your local print shop. It's not a monoprint - but it's a savemoneyprint.

Believe me; I am wrestling with the subject. People do buy limited edition litho’s and prints which have some value, and I do love the image, so maybe it’s time to adapt? People buy original inks over blue lines, which is a half-step in that direction. On the other hand, I am choking on the idea. I have been tempted to ask for a recreation by the original artist and inker (at a higher price of course).

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I have been tempted to ask for a recreation by the original artist and inker (at a higher price of course).

If the two options are this (above) or the 1/1 monprint...monoprint is far superior. Copy is a copy, even if by the original folks. (Might as well make that photocopy per previous poster, get it "signed" and save a whole tonna money! And by the way, how do you think that would be done...printout in blueline and then 'inked' over, mostly likely.) Lot of people don't care, thinking recreation is not copy (with all associated baggage of that word). I do. Others do. So that's an individual call.

If you go monoprint, just make sure that you and the artist work out (both parties agree on, in writing), to your satisfaction, what the definition/terms of "mono" (=one) is and then be assured that everybody will be on the same page for the rest of both of your lives ;)

And don't pay too much (relative to what you're getting and not getting). It really isn't the same. But if you like Shepard Fairey (not that you do, but as an "art world" example)...it's going to be screen prints, collages, stenciled work...all 'mulltiples' with some being closer to unique than others, but there are NO straight up drawings or paintings such as we're all used to thinking of things. More and more artists are moving in this direction, and that's their call (of course). It's a trend. If you want to collect contemporary, you have to collect what they produce, not the other way around.

The good news for more traditional collectors is that trends run their course, in due time, and tend to reverse also.