• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone here buying into monoprints
1 1

225 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, fsumavila said:

but I side with Liefeld on this. If it comes out of a printer, then it's not true original art. Which means I have no interest in it. 

If I purchase an original digital print photograph  directly from the photographers approved printed edition, is it original art? 

Yeah, I just find it funny that there is this mental speed bump there. Time will tell if the mono print thing retains financial value, just like it does with comic art and all things. 

I mean, being real here, many of us don’t think comic original art will ever be “Art” with a cap A in actual art museums (as opposed to the likely probability of it showing up in cultural museums). So in reality comic OA is just another class of collectible, same as comics, or cards or stamps or what have you. Monoprints are potentially just another side of this.

I’ve mentioned the Photography art connection before. I won’t belabor it here. It’s not a unique enterprise. And it has a track record of successes, though time will tell their staying power as well. Like a lot of old comic art, a lot of early photography was never made with an eye towards posterity, and a lot of it degrades quickly over time.

Edited by ESeffinga

2 hours ago, fsumavila said:

I'm really curious to see how the secondary market for items like this develops. I haven't paid close attention to any auctions on Clink or Heritage -- have these started to show up there? 

As I think has been mentioned, some Dauterman prints showed up on CL.

2 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

If I purchase an original digital print photograph  directly from the photographers approved printed edition, is it original art? 

And of course there are limited edition photograph prints (like Ansel Adams and Marilyn Monroe stuff) on HA.

So what do monoprints like these originally sell for when they’re released, before they hit a secondary market like an auction house? (There are 2 in this lot):

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/comic-related/mikel-janin-batman-artist-proofs-monoprints-group-of-2-dc-2018-2019-total-2-items-/a/122108-17773.s

Edited by lobrac

14 minutes ago, lobrac said:

So what do monoprints like these originally sell for when they’re released, before they hit a secondary market like an auction house? (There are 2 in this lot):

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/comic-related/mikel-janin-batman-artist-proofs-monoprints-group-of-2-dc-2018-2019-total-2-items-/a/122108-17773.s

Less than $100 each

4 hours ago, vodou said:

Too bad. If Mikel had decided to physically draw that Bats-prominent page...I'm seeing about $800, no?

My take on this, based on nothing but my opinion:

Monoprints, due to the fact that they're entirely from recent comic books, are most probably sought after by younger collectors, new to the hobby. Monoprints don't seem to be desirable to older collectors.

Heritage seems to be the place for older collectors to auction off and bid on art, I remember reading this somewhere - forgot where. ComicLink, I have been told, is the place for more recent artwork. 

I feel this auction would have done better on ComicLink over Heritage. Younger audience, more receptive to monoprints. Isn't Comiclink the place where the Lady Thor Monoprint sold for profit?

It's about knowing the market, which I feel is a little splintered at the moment, with 2 (maybe 3) factions. This Batman monoprint art was marketed to the wrong people....that and the fact that the artwork isn't that great to begin with.

5 hours ago, Shin-Kaiser said:

I feel this auction would have done better on ComicLink over Heritage. Younger audience, more receptive to monoprints. Isn't Comiclink the place where the Lady Thor Monoprint sold for profit?

Anybody remember what this sold for?

I agree CL may have done better.

20 hours ago, lobrac said:

a 49.png

a 83.png

I seen a few sell on dealers sights that looking at the ones still available would have cost between $500 to $1000 per page. Not my thing but there seems to be a few people who are willing to buy them if no original art exist otherwise for it. Though pricing it at the same level or even more than a lot of other modern pieces done in traditional media is a little too enthusiastic in a lot of instances where you might get one or two people to buy a page the majority seem to stay away with how long they often sit. I've seen pages I've liked only to see they were mono prints and change my mind. 

On 6/2/2022 at 8:23 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

I seen a few sell on dealers sights that looking at the ones still available would have cost between $500 to $1000 per page. Not my thing but there seems to be a few people who are willing to buy them if no original art exist otherwise for it. Though pricing it at the same level or even more than a lot of other modern pieces done in traditional media is a little too enthusiastic in a lot of instances where you might get one or two people to buy a page the majority seem to stay away with how long they often sit. I've seen pages I've liked only to see they were mono prints and change my mind. 

I wonder if they do better when sold as “artist’s proofs”.🤪

Mono prints are a hard no for me.

If one of my favorite artist has prints or sketch books he’s selling as merch. I might drop a 20 to support him, but I can’t see myself ever buying a 1 of 1 print as a collectible. I can’t trust that he will not turn around at a con a year later and print a “Special” artist’s proof 1 of 1, of the same page.

“Hey man, baby needs a pair of shoes, besides this is an artist’s proof NOT a mono print”

Two years go by and the guy prints a special 1 of 1 dark purple color variant of in his mood series. He also has a red, green, teal options ALL of course are 1 of 1. 

Year 3 he, yet again an innovator, brings the supersized 1 of 1 monoprints all are printed 24 inches tall for massive wall appeal.

I can see where this may appeal to others, it’s just not my thing.

Edited by gumbydarnit

I wouldn't collect these myself, but they're really no different than a photographer selling prints of their work.  And vintage photos do have collectible value (yes, I have purchased some of those).  I would think that the same rules would apply.  2c