• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone here buying into monoprints
1 1

225 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2023 at 5:56 PM, redrighthand said:

I wouldn't lump monos and color guides together as I wouldn't call a monoprint a production piece. it played no part in production. A color guide is at least a legit artifact from the production process. which is where it derives most of it's value. A monoprint could be made years after the comic has been printed (as seen with Mister Miracle for instance). An actual artist's proof would be closer to a production artifact (note that in this hobby, i think the term artist's proof is often used improperly).

True, I kind of misspoke with that - I'm no fan of color guides, either, which is why I roped them together as I see them infesting every website that sells original art. I've soapboxed at length on the problems with modern-day Artist Proofs because they are manufactured, unlike true APs from the olden days where they were used to check and adjust color on press, which would technically qualify as a production piece like you had said. There is a lot of junk out there people are spending money on.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 6/1/2023 at 8:23 PM, Dr. Balls said:

True, I kind of misspoke with that - I'm no fan of color guides, either, which is why I roped them together as I see them infesting every website that sells original art. I've soapboxed at length on the problems with modern-day Artist Proofs because they are manufactured, unlike true APs from the olden days where they were used to check and adjust color on press, which would technically qualify as a production piece like you had said. There is a lot of junk out there people are spending money on.

I own two color guides. One of them was offered with the original pencil and ink art, so what the heck.The other is a stand-in for a page of OA I will never spend the necessary money to buy. If I couldn’t find some OA, or found an original color guide to something I own, I would also buy them.

On 6/1/2023 at 5:23 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm not against color guides, they're still a historical artifact of comics I love and would get one from the right book at the right price. They occupy a unique place in the art world and in comics, and as something that wasn't religiously saved and are no longer in use, they're value will only increase...as a historical artifact.