Is anyone here buying into monoprints
0

73 posts in this topic

3,756 posts
5 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

These were limited to like 2000 I think so not a super high number

Actually, yes, super high number. A smallish edition in the fine art world, so not posters (which is what those Sprangs are), would be 30-50. Several hundred...phew, unless it's Warhol, Rauschenberg, etc. Several thousand...oof. That's why I never bought them, attractive as they are, too many. Further, nothing printmaker about them, offset lithographs were the ctrl+p of the 80s and 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,356 posts

I don't know if they are posters or prints and certainly not 1 of 1 mono prints, but Moebius would put out images in lowish numbers in the 80's, and when they were gone they were gone.  Starwatcher stuff and the like.  Love that stuff, and when I see an occasional copy pop up they go much more than their original price.  Not a huge print guy but I would probably buy high quality Moebius prints to frame and decorate a few walls with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112 posts
Posted (edited)
On 11/2/2018 at 6:41 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

If Fiona Staples sold an “Exclusive 1/1 print” of the cover to Saga #1, would you pay the requisite $10K+ she’d probably ask for it? 

I say this a fan of the Saga covers, I’d have a hard time paying more than $200 for something like that.  

I just don’t see how it’s significantly better than getting a first print of Saga #1 signed by Staples/Vaughan, getting it CGC slabbed and displaying that on a wall. 

 

Edited by Skizz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,180 posts

To add to this discussion I believe Felix or @Nexus on the boards had an interesting way of handling digital art that was done by some of the artists he reps. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, Felix but I remember that if a person was interested in a page or cover from East of West that is done digitally that you would have the option to select what page you were interested and the artist would only draw it once. So instead of buying a 1 for 1 print, you would instead buy the page with the artist drawing it to order, never making another one so that it became the original art that couldn't be duplicated. Is that correct or did Dragotta do some pages and covers physically?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,136 posts
8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My take on prints is they are nice but not a good investment. As an example, I purchased two D ick Sprang Batman prints.  These were those large sized prints.  I love them but I bought them in the 90s and the price I would have too pay to acquire them today is the same worst case and less best case (I have seen several sell for less than I paid and I bought directly from the source).  These were limited to like 2000 I think so not a super high number but enough to keep prices flat to down.

These are a little different. They are single print runs, no copies to be made. No reprints. That's part of the deal. 

But, no actual ink or pencil, unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,290 posts
38 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

These are a little different. They are single print runs, no copies to be made. No reprints. That's part of the deal. 

But, no actual ink or pencil, unfortunately.

So what is the guarantee no reprints on it?  Can they do a new issuing that have a gold foil emblem on them?  How about issuing an autographed version?  What about a bundled set od several prints?  My concern is there is nothing that prevents them from issuing more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,185 posts
On 5/4/2019 at 8:47 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Anyone else have thoughts? Any supporters? Please...  

I think this is just the wrong audience to get behind prints as a majority. 

Most bought massed produced comics and spent what their budget allowed. Then they found one of a kind art and spent that money there. It's going to be uphill getting them behind prints (i know, one-off print. Got it :ph34r: ). 

But that isn't to say there isn't a market for them. This discussion makes me think of an artist selling a "limited" print run of orders received in the next 24/48/72 hours. How many is that?!?!?  Could be 1 or could be 10,000.   If they can sell those (For $100 and up per "limited" print), then I see a market can be made for the one-off print.  Ray Caesar seems to be doing all right. 

Go to any "gallery art" centered message board and you can find prints for sale for a few hundred dollars that are 'limited' to 40/50/100 and selling. But then that is a fraction of the OA cost. In comic art you can buy (some) art for under $1000. You'll be hard pressed to do that in a gallery. 

Just don't expect a flood of PMs when you post them in the FOR SALE forum :baiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,136 posts
6 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

I think this is just the wrong audience to get behind prints as a majority. 

Most bought massed produced comics and spent what their budget allowed. Then they found one of a kind art and spent that money there. It's going to be uphill getting them behind prints (i know, one-off print. Got it :ph34r: ). 

But that isn't to say there isn't a market for them. This discussion makes me think of an artist selling a "limited" print run of orders received in the next 24/48/72 hours. How many is that?!?!?  Could be 1 or could be 10,000.   If they can sell those (For $100 and up per "limited" print), then I see a market can be made for the one-off print.  Ray Caesar seems to be doing all right. 

Go to any "gallery art" centered message board and you can find prints for sale for a few hundred dollars that are 'limited' to 40/50/100 and selling. But then that is a fraction of the OA cost. In comic art you can buy (some) art for under $1000. You'll be hard pressed to do that in a gallery. 

Just don't expect a flood of PMs when you post them in the FOR SALE forum :baiting:

A properly worded certificate or related document is part of a contract between the buyer and seller, and probably a warranty of uniqueness.  Its violation, or breach, should give you legal recourse against the seller (and maybe recourse by remote buyers if you later sell it to them). And also maybe, the artists themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,136 posts
8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

So what is the guarantee no reprints on it?  Can they do a new issuing that have a gold foil emblem on them?  How about issuing an autographed version?  What about a bundled set od several prints?  My concern is there is nothing that prevents them from issuing more.

Note my comment above.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
586 posts

Certificates, foil stamps, holograms and any other doohickeys are useless and a waste, not counting being an eyesore in the print to boot.

It is this simple, and always has been since someone first sold. Limited anything to the world.

Either you honor the limited nature you sold the item under or you don’t. Those that don’t will reap what they’ve sewn. Who would buy from anyone that says this is one of x, when it later is not? Their market crumbles, the end.

Is this helpful for making someone feel at ease in the initial purchase? Probably not. But the holofoilcertificate doesn’t mean anything more than that original agreement did. If someone wants to make and sell more, they will. Even with more certs and more broken promises. The upright folks have a good rep and earn trust. The folks that don’t, are hosed.

 

There are centuries of cases of this to look back on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,290 posts
Just now, ESeffinga said:

Certificates, foil stamps, holograms and any other doohickeys are useless and a waste, not counting being an eyesore in the print to boot.

It is this simple, and always has been since someone first sold. Limited anything to the world.

Either you honor the limited nature you sold the item under or you don’t. Those that don’t will reap what they’ve sewn. Who would buy from anyone that says this is one of x, when it later is not? Their market crumbles, the end.

Is this helpful for making someone feel at ease in the initial purchase? Probably not. But the holofoilcertificate doesn’t mean anything more than that original agreement did. If someone wants to make and sell more, they will. Even with more certs and more broken promises. The upright folks have a good rep and earn trust. The folks that don’t, are hosed.

 

There are centuries of cases of this to look back on.

That is my take as well.  For items like these, if you feel comfortable with the price and like the piece, go for it.  If you are looking at it as an investmate, maybe it pays off, maybe it doesn’t but if you feel comfortable with purchasing it as an investmate, enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,705 posts

On a somewhat related topic, I have seen at least one longtime comic book writer selling "certified" copies of his old comic book scripts. Not for a lot, but he just takes the -script to Kinkos, and runs off a set, then hand signs and numbers them, or something. People do actually buy them too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
236 posts
2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

On a somewhat related topic, I have seen at least one longtime comic book writer selling "certified" copies of his old comic book scripts. Not for a lot, but he just takes the --script to Kinkos, and runs off a set, then hand signs and numbers them, or something. People do actually buy them too. 

Scripts can be interesting to look through as a part of the process. I have known writers to post their scripts from time to time as examples for aspiring writers, and it's interesting to me to see how they differ. I could see myself paying for a printed collection of scripts as a way to compare styles, but not as much as I would pay for an artists edition book.

As for buying these limited printings or signed/numbered -script copies...the asking price is probably beyond what I would pay for the personal interest reasons stated above.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0