• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How will a non-verified signature affect the grade of a book?

30 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

Still what does that have to do with what I said that you quoted.

If your questions is "Why not have authentication?"

The answer is mostly answered previously.  But I would say to look deeper.  IF you authenticate signatures witnessed by reps of other companies OR without a witness at all, then you lower the value of CGC's own Signature Series brand while elevating the status of your competitors, which they have built up over time into the only truly 100% reliable comic signature witness company.  Now if they started from the beginning with authentications that would be one thing, but initially made a business decision to be 100% verified and witnessed and built up this segment of their business into something which I assume is profitable.  To get into the authentication game at this point would be lowering their own high bar which they already profit from. 

"Well what about the collectors who got sigs without knowing about CGC SS?" - CGC (and there parent company) don't owe them anything.  They are a for-profit business trying to make money, and they're doing whats best for them.  If they thought it would MORE profitable to start authenticating, they'd probably do it.  But from business-wise perspective, I think you can see why that doesn't make sense at this point.

And they also don't owe anything to the secondary market of sales of your non-CGC signatures, in fact it helps them if the value of sigs witnessed by other companies decreases?  So why would they do ANYTHING that would legitimize any non-CGC sigs in the eyes of the market?

So the answer, as is often the case, is MONEY.  They provide a specific service, which they provided earlier and better than their competitors, and is therefore profitable enough that there are some related services they choose not to provide.  If you are looking for a different specific but related service, there are other companies who will give you that service. 

Even when they are not scheduled to be at a show , sometimes they have representatives there . At this years Tampa con they were not there but they had dealers at the show that could witness signatures on their behalf and when you submit the book it will get the yellow label. Be sure to check with them or or show promoter to see even when you don’t see them scheduled to be in attendance. 

16 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

For me it just sucks they don't have a service for when they are not at a show or event. It be nice if they did. I get why they don't. Just would be nice. As a rep or company are not at every show or event. Or at least if they took official coa.

I honestly do get your point, but what your saying is like "It would be nice if they did this because I want it", which could be basically said about literally anything, regardless of economic, logistical, or other considerations.

- It would be nice if I was an astronaut

- It would be nice if my favorite pizza joint also had sushi

- It would be nice if presidents had a basic understanding of grammar

- It would be nice if I won every lottery

Which I guess is fine...

I think the solution is to grade your book first with no signature (blue label) and simply have the person sign the outside of the CGC case and keep the event cert from where you got it signed. Thats right. Start signing outside of CGC cases. Best of both worlds for when CGC is not at an event.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:11 AM, Webhead2018 said:

What I was getting at on that post is officially cgc only at a handful of events through the year. I wish they where at more shows. As others who knows if there is someone who has a connection to cgc to send in your stuff or witness stuff.

incredibly unclear sentence.  BUT if you're asking about other shows, there are quite a few CGC SS facilitators for whom you can send your books to signatures, OR if you're going to the same show you can have them witness your signatures and submit your books (all for an additional fee of course).  Those facilitators often go to shows or events where CGC does not have a booth.  Dig around the Signature Room subforum for more info on that.  You might be pleasantly surprised at what you find.

But other than that, yes, we all agree that not getting everything we want all the time is generally not as good as getting everything we want all the time.