• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How will a non-verified signature affect the grade of a book?

30 posts in this topic

I came upon a copy of FF48 in my stash that I'd gotten signed by Stan Lee WAY back about 15 years ago.

Any experience as to how that will affect the CGC grade?

I'm thinking maybe I should have sent it to (The Service That Shall Not Be Named) for their verification option, but the CGC imprimatur is valuable as well, so maybe it's a wash. Also, I didn't know they did that before I sent it to CGC. D'oh!!!  (I'm trying to make every mistake possible in grading and selling my books LOL)

Thanks for this board's willingness to share their experience and insight, as always! :)

I believe you have the option to either receive a Qualified (green label) grade that does not deduct for the signature, or opt for a Universal (blue) label with a deduction for the signature.

Either way, I believe the notation "name written on cover" will appear on the label. As far as the actual drop in grade, others would be more knowledgable, but as far as I am aware, it would depend on the condition of the book. If it were extremely high grade, I think the deduction would be more than it would be at lower grades. At a low enough grade, I don't think it would drop the grade at all.

I hope that helps a bit, and I'm sure others more knowledgable will chime in.

Assuming the signature/writing is on the cover...

From what I understand the book will get a...

Green Qualified Label stating there is a name written on the cover and the writing will not count as a defect in determining the final grade.

OR

A Blue Universal Label counting the signature as a defect," writing on cover" and will be included as a defect in determining the final grade of the book.

Since you did not post pics of the book we cannot give you an estimate of overall grade with or without the signature.

Hmm... yeah, I didn't take a photo of it before I shipped it, unfortunately.

I would grade it, based on comps I've gotten back from CGC so far recently, at a 6.5 or so. If that's the case, how much of a drop might you guess?

EDIT: If it's gonna take a drop due to the signature, then maybe I SHOULD try to get it back.

Edited by oldrover

I have never dealt with CGC, do you get to request a label designation and if so did you???

From what I have read you will automatically get a Green Label.

From CGC...

"A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature (one which was not witnessed by CGC). For example, a comic book with a missing coupon that otherwise grades 6.0 will receive a Qualified grade, avoiding a considerably lower grade. CGC would give this book a Qualified grade of 6.0 and a Label Text notation “COUPON MISSING FROM PAGE 10, DOES NOT AFFECT STORY.” Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as “NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER."

If you requested a Blue Label...

According to the grading standards...

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  Back to Top
The average used comic book.  Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade.

How much of a hit will a higher grade book take???

If it were my book and I was placing a grade to catalog the book with my collection I would probably drop the grade from a FN+ 6.5 (which you stated you thought it was) to a VG/FN 5.0 with a notation stating...

Would be a FN+ 6.5 except for writing on cover.

Hopefully someone who has submitted a book with a non-verified signature for a Blue label will chime in.

Edited by marvelmaniac

20 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

I have never dealt with CGC, do you get to request a label designation and if so did you???

I've only started to recently, and have no idea. I don't believe you can... there's no place for it on the submission form. 

But frankly, both of those options you describe sound unappealing to me. A Green label, or a Blue label with a drop in grade.

Here are some responses I found on this site regarding Blue vs Green Labels for Non-Verified Signatures.

"Writing on the cover will sometimes get a qualified grade.  Unwitnessed signatures by creators or notable people always get a qualified grade." 

"You can send the book back in for regrading and specifically request a blue label grade. The stamp will then be judged as a defect, rather than ignored. The grade will be lower - probably substantially so."

"The book has a signature on the inside (not on the cover) - this gets you a blue label"

"The book is low grade enough that an unverified cover signature wouldn't really affect the grade - this gets you a blue label too."

STRAIGHT FROM CGC

• Does CGC grade autographed books?
  • CGC does grade autographed books. The prestigious CGC Signature Series label (yellow) is applied to comic books that have been signed by someone of significance to the comic, under the direct observation of a CGC employee, a select CGC authorized witness, or in select instances where CGC accepted signed books directly from the signer/publisher. The signatures are authenticated by CGC and the labels indicate who signed the book, the date it was signed and, in some cases, the location of where it was signed. If a book is signed without a CGC representative present, it will receive a Qualified label (green), and will receive a Qualified grade. No authentication of signature is provided for books that do not have a CGC Signature Series label. Learn more about CGC Signature Series.
  • back to

6 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

This has been stuck at CGC for like 3 weeks.  I actually hope I get a green label,  I witnessed the signature personally.  Its not for sale anyways.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6dd.jpg.4b92fc8dda0c6dd45b4ba4e37d0852ea.jpg

If you don't care and you are keeping it, then why are you submitting it ?? BTW, cool book, just not a good candidate for submission. 

Edited by Bomber-Bob

A lot depends on the size and location of the signature as well. If it's the typical Stan Lee signature (written in bold magic marker) expect the grade to drop more significantly than the neatly placed Frank Brunner signature pictured on the Howard the Duck comic above. 

It's tough to say how much of a drop your book will get without seeing a picture of it. I would expect it to receive a blue label since it's not high grade. I have seen books with unverified signatures receive grades in the Fine range.

Good luck!  :wishluck:

Edited by The Lions Den

2 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

it has some repairable bends on the cover I want fixed.  Its got sentimental value.  This was a huge book in the 70's.

You can submit just to CCS and skip CGC for the grading. It's just a waste of time and money to grade a book without witnessed signatures. If you want it encapsulated only, I believe you can request a NoGrade, NG on the label. Personally, I think books look better in mylar, no Newton rings either.

1 hour ago, Webhead2018 said:

I wonder why cgc doesn't authenticate signatures they don't Witness. Wouldn't there be ways to have known copies of x signatures and all that. Like how for other grading like sports stuff there is people out there who authenticate signatures on things?

You are missing the big picture, CGC doesn't want to be like other companies. Their Signature Service 100% guarantees authenticity by a witness. Having only Signature authentication is not 100%, just an educated opinion. COA's can be forged.  

On 11/3/2018 at 10:28 AM, Webhead2018 said:

Ya I get that. Just sucks though if your at a show cgc or someone certified by cgc isn't there and you get something signed. It would be nice to still get it authentication and what not.

Yeah. I had CGC pull this from my batch... gonna consider other options.