• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peak Comics

3 posts in this topic

Peak comics is the theorized point in time when the maximum rate of extraction of comics from the market is reached, after which it is expected to enter terminal decline. 

Peak comic theory is based on the observed rise, peak, fall, and depletion of aggregate demand rate in collecting comics over time.

Edited by tabcom

As I was moving my collection to a new, more secure location, Mrs. tabcom unloaded on me that it is a burden for her and the kids to have to inherit my comics and sell them off. I'm 55 years old and in excellent health. I see myself as a spindly Stan Lee type in the distant future. So the clock is ticking . . . slowly.

A bigger issue for me is, 'have I hit peak comics?'. Over the past 13 years I've grown an envious collection of first love pre-robin Detective Comics run, long Flash Comics run, hoarders load of Superman #14, a beautiful estate sale collection of romance and horror, my fair share of Captain America, and Schomberg Covers. And a FF#1 for good measure.

I love reading my GA comics. I just lost the thrill of being a big time buyer at the on-line auction circuit. I'll track a few each auction, but lose the motivation to snipe in the end.

Anyone else experiencing peak comics?

Well there are a lot of thoughts going through my head.

One is there is also peak supply, whereas the combination of new hoard finds has to shrink and in fact comics grades deteriorates over time.  That could offset somewhat a demand decline.  Peak supply is also countered by free online scans and reprints.

You also have 2x I think the U.S. population of 70 years ago, Hollywood trend and worldwide interest, so as amazing as it may seem the larger collector base seems to still be growing the demand side.

General market conditions also seem to correlate with demand, this stock cycle seems to have driven prices for art and collectibles. On the other end of spectrum, not too many preppers building comic safe's into their SHF dried food underground stashes.

Personally, I try to maintain only around 300 GA. comics (more than Rick's 50, but less than others).  There is the space and mobility (especially with slabs) and then I try to keep in my head a "what is reasonable" factor in terms of putting funds into it.  Not sure I'd feel comfortable actually worrying about an Action #1 sitting around, I'd be fretting about temperature and humidity, then paranoid about break-ins.

So my buying has slowed (I think) but I've replaced it with rotating interests, upgrading in the core and balancing by selling around the "core."  That keeps me engaged, but fair to to say volume-wise I've peaked (but money-wise still going up).

Edited by path4play