• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics with Toys.

12 posts in this topic

Hello all!

So I've been on a stretch of collecting toys that are packaged with comics. Not so keen on the plastic for the most part; I just want the comics.

I picked up the entire Kenner '92 Aliens series for the mini-comics & had those pressed & graded; they look excellent & most of them came out in the 9's! Amazing really, after 25 years rolled up in the retail packaging. I grabbed the first series of Todd Toys Spawn action figures, The Marvel Icons Venom (I don't know if the Evolution of an Icon book that comes with it is technically considered a comic, but it looks cool), and the ToyBiz Spider-Man 2099 so I could get my hands on a MOC copy of the second printing. I know there's a Punisher toy/comic combo out there somewhere; but what am I missing? :D

42 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

It's surprising how many people I hear asking for those Alien figures at toy shows. 

They aren't rare, but nice to see that people want things from the 90s. 

Patrick

@followtheleader I’ve been considering picking up a second set; particularly the Alien Hive playset. I still have the movie-style Queen, but the base is long gone. 

If you read the mini comics, it’s actually a neat “what if” style story; it assumes the majority of the USCM squad from Aliens survive LV-426 & go on further bug hunting adventures. 

I always wondered why DHC never reprinted these in some kind of TPB. Maybe a rights issue between DHC/20thCentury/Hasbro? Just guessing.

With Disney picking up 20th Century Fox, I expect the house of mouse to pull the rights from DHC, along with the Predator & Terminator IP. Unfortunately, Bob Iger did an interview recently where he said those IP are pretty much DOA at Disney, except in cases where they are already under contract/production. They don’t fit in with the rest of the Disney family friendly portfolio. Best I can hope for, as a fan of the comics, is that the IP gets contracted out to IDW; that seems to be where Disney is sending the stuff they don’t want under the Marvel label.

Still, fun toys, and really cool mini comics.

*Minor Spoiler*

Burke & Gorman still die. Acceptable losses.

Edited by BabaLament
Additional content.

I've always thought about creating a list of all the action figures that contained comics inside.  We're probably well over 300 books.  The most common place to find these is the old ToyBiz and Marvel Legends packs, but DC has done similar books with their Kenner line.  Marvel also had their Marvel Universe Greatest Battles Comic Packs from Hasbro, which is a little more recent.

You already mentioned Spawn, but Dark Horse also did something similar.  I believe there may be some GI Joes out there too.  I count 7 Evolution of an Icon Poster Books out there (Wolverine, Spider-man, Hulk, Venom, Captain America, Iron Man, and Beast), but there may be others.

My absolute favorites have to be two lines of die cast vehicles that were packaged with mini comics.  From CVS, there were issues of Ultimate Spider-man, Wolverine, Hulk, and Storm.  There was also the MGA Marvel Authentics that came packaged with one of Amazing Fantasy 15, Giant Size X-Men 1, Tales of Suspense 39, or Incredible Hulk 181.  I have a bunch of each and should dig some of them out to post here.

If you want to see a number of what's available all in one place, you can look at the posts below (yeah, yeah... I know it's a very shameless plug of my old, closed sales thread).