• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn #9 newsstand with manufacturing error

83 posts in this topic

I just bought a spawn # 9 CGC 9.6, newsstand edition with rare manufacturing error. The error is because the book has the denser glossy paper as well as the Angela poster (the original newsstand edition is not supposed to have the poster and the paper is supposed to be thinner newsprint stock).

i don’t see any copies on the CGC census, and none on eBay. Any thoughts as to the true rarity and potential value? I paid a fair chunk of change for it, it wasn’t cheap.

So it's a raw copy? Pics would be cool. :shy:

not sure on value or rarity, my first instinct would be someone married the poster into the book, but that wouldn't explain the glossyness or the newsstand bar code (shrug)

@comic girl

6 minutes ago, comic girl said:

Its CGC graded 9.6 white pages and it stipulates manufacturing error/ newsstand variant. I just bought it on eBay and haven’t received it yet, if you search under recently sold items you will see it there.

Wowzers,that is steep.  I haven't heard of that defect before but I will check  for it in the future...

2 minutes ago, comic girl said:

Its CGC graded 9.6 white pages and it stipulates manufacturing error/ newsstand variant. I just bought it on eBay and haven’t received it yet, if you search under recently sold items you will see it there.

The only way to ascertain value on something like this is to put it in auction.  I see you paid plenty and bought it with a BIN.  I really have no idea of value but  800 Canadian seems like an aggressive price. You should have inquired here before you bought it. (shrug)

I know, I also think it was very aggressive but some of those rare variants shoot up in value like crazy, perfect examples are the venom lethal protector 1 black cover error, and even more rare white cover error. Check out how much those sell for. They say that about 2% of the spawn #9 are newsstand, and how many of those have the manufacturing error? Worst case it’s still a high grade newsstand variant and best case it shoots up after the movie comes out after Angela’s popularity shoots through the roof (fingers crossed).

21 minutes ago, comic girl said:

What through me off was that you couldn't find it in the census...  :shy:

it should be there :sumo:lol

I wasn't aware of this error, so thanks for the info!

I wouldn't think that enough have sold to make a declaration of value, but surely someone has GPA and can look it up?

also if we could somehow find it on the census for rarity....

9 minutes ago, comic girl said:

I know, I also think it was very aggressive but some of those rare variants shoot up in value like crazy, perfect examples are the venom lethal protector 1 black cover error, and even more rare white cover error. Check out how much those sell for. They say that about 2% of the spawn #9 are newsstand, and how many of those have the manufacturing error? Worst case it’s still a high grade newsstand variant and best case it shoots up after the movie comes out after Angela’s popularity shoots through the roof (fingers crossed).

Looking at the prices of some of this seller's other books, it appears he generally prices them at double of FMV . I understand what you are saying about printing variants but take the situation of the Venom #1 Black cover. It's a cover variant/error, something you can see, looks cool, etc. Here, you are simply talking about the interior having glossy paper . IMO, nothing special about this but again, I really don't know.

I have GPA and I checked obviously, it’s nowhere on their census. I’m curious to see now though because mine should register on the census once they update. Another factor to consider is that the book was advertised as fresh from CGC so maybe they have only begun to track and list the error.

11 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

The error is also listed on the right side "newssprint interior)

Actually, that was probably printed in error. The OP is correct, in the notes on the label it states glossy paper.

27 minutes ago, comic girl said:

They say that about 2% of the spawn #9 are newsstand, and how many of those have the manufacturing error? Worst case it’s still a high grade newsstand variant and best case it shoots up after the movie comes out after Angela’s popularity shoots through the roof (fingers crossed).

Per the CGC census, about 5% of the submitted books are Newsstand. A 'regular' 9.6 Newsstand would be valued at about 150 . I hope someone else can chime in with good news on the Value front but I'm at a loss.