• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn #9 newsstand with manufacturing error

83 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, comic girl said:

I have GPA and I checked obviously, it’s nowhere on their census. I’m curious to see now though because mine should register on the census once they update. Another factor to consider is that the book was advertised as fresh from CGC so maybe they have only begun to track and list the error.

Your book was graded on 08/09/2018 and was NOT registered as 'error' on the census, probably just as an ordinary Newsstand.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 hour ago, comic girl said:

I know, I also think it was very aggressive but some of those rare variants shoot up in value like crazy, perfect examples are the venom lethal protector 1 black cover error, and even more rare white cover error. Check out how much those sell for. They say that about 2% of the spawn #9 are newsstand, and how many of those have the manufacturing error? Worst case it’s still a high grade newsstand variant and best case it shoots up after the movie comes out after Angela’s popularity shoots through the roof (fingers crossed).

Who is "they", and where do "they" get their information from...?

The Venom Black has been a well publicized....and spectacular...error since it was first noticed shortly after publication in 1993. The white is just the gold foil version of the same thing. While having the heavier paper for the newsprint is kinda cool, it does not have the same type of immediate eye appeal as the Venom errors.

But, if you're happy paying that price, more power to you. It's your money; you should spend it the way you like.

You’ve got a good point and this is reflected by the much higher price of the venom issues. I’m not saying that this issue should be as valuable, but it is still a seemingly very rare and pretty cool manufacturing error where the newstand variant is basically printed with the regular copy interior. If we assume 5% of the newsstand variants have this error, then there would only be a handful of copies out there, making it quite rare. I’m curious to see how GPA lists this book, I find it hard to believe that they would simply categorize it as a newsstand issue which sold for $600.

I used the term ”they” after some brief internet research but as bomber bob pointed out the actual percentage of newsprint copies on the census is closer to 5% (4.6 to be exact). 

23 minutes ago, comic girl said:

You’ve got a good point and this is reflected by the much higher price of the venom issues. I’m not saying that this issue should be as valuable, but it is still a seemingly very rare and pretty cool manufacturing error where the newstand variant is basically printed with the regular copy interior. If we assume 5% of the newsstand variants have this error, then there would only be a handful of copies out there, making it quite rare. I’m curious to see how GPA lists this book, I find it hard to believe that they would simply categorize it as a newsstand issue which sold for $600.

I used the term ”they” after some brief internet research but as bomber bob pointed out the actual percentage of newsprint copies on the census is closer to 5% (4.6 to be exact). 

Don't mistake census numbers for extant numbers. The census only reflects the maximum amount of copies that have been submitted to CGC; assuming it represents any real numbers would be a grave mistake. There are a small, but very loud and obnoxious, group of people who claim to know this number and that number, but they have no idea what they're talking about (and many of them become quite hostile...see: Benjamin Nobel...when you challenge them about it.)

The truth is, we have no idea how many copies Image made, because they never published that information. We'll probably never know. As knowledge about these newsstands grows, more and more will come out of the woodwork, especially for a title like Spawn, especially in its earliest days. Spawn was, hands down, the most popular and best selling title at Image for most of the 90s. If Spawn #9 was printed to the tune of somewhere between 800,000-1.2 million copies...and this was at the very height of both Spawn, McFarlane, and Neil Gaiman, so there's no reason to think otherwise...then Image probably printed 100,000+ copies of the newsstand, which was still very much alive in 1993, despite the musings of some.

The newsstand version is supposed to have newsprint paper. If it has glossy paper and the barcode on the cover, then something is amiss. I've never heard of such a copy, so I'm intrigued. 

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

The error is also listed on the right side "newssprint interior)

That's not an error. It's supposed to have newsprint paper. If it has glossy paper, then it was a manufacturing error as (apparently?) noted by the CGC. 

While we're on the topic. it's my understanding that the only time CGC will notate "newsstand" is when the comic is somehow significantly different than the direct edition, such as having different interior paper stock or comics missing cards/posters/gimmicks that were included in the direct edition. 

And for the record, there is NO such thing as a "rare" Spawn 1-12. Doesn't matter if it's an error or a newsstand or what. 

I doubt that the "no black ink" Spawn 1 manufacturing error (green label) is as rare as some people think, but admittedly that's just a hunch. 

Hundreds of thousands, and in some cases, millions, of these books were printed. I laugh out loud at auctions that claim these books are rare in any way. 

The real tough issues were released after the turn of the century and the middle of the first decade. 

No I dont plan on opening it up, it clearly states “manufactured with glossy interior & Angela poster included” in the center of the label right above “Newstand Edition”. Furthermore, the thin label on the top of the case states “MANUFACTURING ERROR/Newsstand Edition” written with capitalization as indicated.

27 minutes ago, comic girl said:

No I dont plan on opening it up, it clearly states “manufactured with glossy interior & Angela poster included” in the center of the label right above “Newstand Edition”. Furthermore, the thin label on the top of the case states “MANUFACTURING ERROR/Newsstand Edition” written with capitalization as indicated.

Sounds sweet! I am assuming a green label? Please share scans if possible. 

2 minutes ago, newshane said:
30 minutes ago, comic girl said:

Sounds sweet! I am assuming a green label? Please share scans if possible. 

Here it is :foryou: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-6-Spawn-9-White-1st-App-Angela-Newsstand-Edition-Poster-RARE-ERROR/153244428087?hash=item23ae146737:g:xZkAAOSwnhJbtTN9

I mean, it's cool that it's a newsstand and all, but there is nothing that indicates a manufacturing error. 

1 minute ago, newshane said:

I mean, it's cool that it's a newsstand and all, but there is nothing that indicates a manufacturing error. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-6-Spawn-9-White-1st-App-Angela-Newsstand-Edition-Poster-RARE-ERROR-/153244428087?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

did you click to see the original lisitng :sorry: that's my bad..