• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn #9 newsstand with manufacturing error

83 posts in this topic

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh wow! Yeah...I've never seen one of those! Sweet. 

Just now, newshane said:

Oh wow! Yeah...I've never seen one of those! Sweet. 

lol don't get me in trouble haha.... seriously, sorry, I should have gone all the way to the sold page to begin with.... my bad :sorry: 

If I were still into collecting Spawn, I'd buy it instantly. lol 

Seriously, this is a new one for me and I've been ultra vigilant in the Spawn market for years, until recently. 

4 minutes ago, newshane said:

If I were still into collecting Spawn, I'd buy it instantly. lol 

Seriously, this is a new one for me and I've been ultra vigilant in the Spawn market for years, until recently. 

Yes you were and have, but count your blessings.  :foryou:

So do you think the census will update itself to include this? And seeing that there is no census now, do you think that so far it's one of a kind?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Do wah do

1 hour ago, newshane said:

The newsstand version is supposed to have newsprint paper. If it has glossy paper and the barcode on the cover, then something is amiss. I've never heard of such a copy, so I'm intrigued. 

The cover just got attached to the wrong interior pages. I would bet that we would see and notice a lot more of this if interiors for all comics were distinguishable between different editions.

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

So do you think the census will update itself to include this? And seeing that there is no census now, do you think that so far it's one of a kind?

No. I agree with Bomber, it will remain in the census as a universal newsstand. 

Same deal with the Spawn 1 black ink error, only they will remain as a qualified grade. Unfortunate, because we will likely never know exactly how many of these are out there. 

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but this really isn't that big a deal. 

The printers would have printed...at Image's orders...the Direct market books with the heavier paper stock, and the newsstand with the lighter. Once they finished the Direct market, they would have had leftover pages....almost certainly already printed...for the newsstand run. So, they just fed those into the machines, and there's your "error."

This happened all the time in the 70s through 90s...you can find copies of X-Men #140 and #141 with ultra white paper...sometimes even hybrid copies of ultra white and regular newsprint....that the printers used.

The difference is that, in the case of this book, there's a poster that went with it, otherwise, it may not even have been noticed. Had it been someone unfamiliar with Spawn, they definitely wouldn't have noticed. When Marvel was playing around with the paper stock in the mid 90s, you can find books with a mixture just like this, particularly on X-books. 

Again...if that floats your boat, that's great...but it isn't something that is going to be particularly tough or rare, in the normal course of things. 

Now...all that changes if this was part of some test, and only a few copies managed to make it out. But, the most likely scenario is "we had enough for the Direct order, let's use these for the newsstand order."

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

The cover just got attached to the wrong interior pages. I would bet that we would see and notice a lot more of this if interiors for all comics were distinguishable between different editions.

Yeah. At first, I had a fleeting thought that someone could have married the cover. But why go through that sort of trouble? Like I said, a fleeting thought. Probably went down just like you said. 

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Perhaps. But I've never seen one. 

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I doubt it's a OAK. 

But likely happened on a minority of the newsstands, at least. So it's pretty cool. Is it worth the premium? I'm the wrong guy to ask. My strategy was to always pay asking price ASAP when I saw something crazy pop up. lol 

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You may have, and just never noticed it. Have you handled a lot of newsstand copies?

Not in particular. I'm just speaking about graded copies. 

Once again, as I stated previously, I'd never try to claim that any of those books in any form is "rare". 

I guess jumping ship for Golden Age books has redefined what I consider rare

12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And it's not highly visible (or very highly publicized) like Venom: Lethal Protector 1 without the foil.

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The printers would have printed...at Image's orders...the Direct market books with the heavier paper stock, and the newsstand with the lighter. Once they finished the Direct market, they would have had leftover pages....almost certainly already printed...for the newsstand run. So, they just fed those into the machines, and there's your "error."

This happened all the time in the 70s through 90s...you can find copies of X-Men #140 and #141 with ultra white paper...sometimes even hybrid copies of ultra white and regular newsprint....that the printers used.

The difference is that, in the case of this book, there's a poster that went with it, otherwise, it may not even have been noticed. Had it been someone unfamiliar with Spawn, they definitely wouldn't have noticed. When Marvel was playing around with the paper stock in the mid 90s, you can find books with a mixture just like this, particularly on X-books. 

Again...if that floats your boat, that's great...but it isn't something that is going to be particularly tough or rare, in the normal course of things. 

Now...all that changes if this was part of some test, and only a few copies managed to make it out. But, the most likely scenario is "we had enough for the Direct order, let's use these for the newsstand order."

(thumbsu

2 minutes ago, comic girl said:

Fair enough if you think it’s not that rare but none of the 9.8 or 9.6 newsstand issues on GPA show the manufacturing error label text. And that’s going back to 2013.

I'll definitely back you up a little by saying, once again, that I've never seen a graded copy with that notation and I've seen just about every Spawn book to hit the market since just before 2013...so I can confirm that much. It's a really cool book! :)

I checked all the major Internet dealers several times a day and had a network of dealers looking for me as well, through numerous private collections throughout the country. It was an obsession of mine for several years. 

Never saw one. 

Once again, that's with graded copies. I never chased newsstands, so I didn't have people digging through hundreds of them. 

So it's hard to say if it's truly RARE in an honest sense, but relatively rare is a fair enough description. We'll just have to wait and see how many more pop up as more newsstand books get graded by the CGC. They only started recognizing them a few years ago on the census.