• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad Comic Commission Experience Over a year Jim Kyle

3 posts in this topic

I feel like I'm being rip off on a commission.  I don't want to be negative but I paid Mid July (of 2017) and all I received was lots of promises and then being ignored.  Now I'm told it's almost done and will be shipped in a few days ...for over a month.  The only forum I found about a bad experience with Jim Kyle was on blowoutcards.  

I saw Jim Kyle's posting for 50 dollar sketch covers on FB.  Googled jim's name and realized I actually have some of his books the art was raw but easy to follow.  Contacted Jim asking about different rates.  I like his art and figured, I'm gonna go ahead.  So, I paid close to 200.  Took several months and the piece is near completion.  Then absolute silence for a couple of months.  I would ask for an update here and there.  All of them were ignored.

Then on his page he announced he is starting a new commission list.  In fact hes working on those pieces now.  One person left a comment how happy they were that they already receive their piece from the new commission list already.  A few people posted that they are on the old list waiting, Some longer then me.  Then several  posts appeared of people warning others they got stiffed. Which would be deleted quickly.

I don't understand why he can't just finish my piece since it's near completeion.  I think he does this on purpose, too many complaints of people being stiffed to be an isolated incident.  It looks like he finishes most of his list and make a new list and repeat.  He probably thinks it's okay since it's a few people from each list he stops working on.

I guess their's nothing i can do unless anyone has any ideas?.  I don't think this guy is reliable at all and telling others not to bother getting commissions from him as he obviously skip and favorite people.  I hope he doesnt' stiff me on my piece but the number of complaints of being stiffed that are coming out is ridiculous.  So, I'm writing this primarily as a warning to others.  Though, I wanted to know if anyone else delt with Jim?

I've never heard of this guy but thank you for the warning.

Never pay upfront as you will get screwed.

Too many horror stories on these boards to count.  I just buy completed pre-drawn pieces and avoid commissions completely.

Cheers!

N.

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

2 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

I've never heard of this guy but thank you for the warning.

Never pay upfront as you will get screwed.

Too many horror stories on these boards to count.  I just buy completed pre-drawn pieces and avoid commissions completely.

Cheers!

N.

I regularly get commissions done, and I have never been asked to pay everything in advance. In most cases, nothing in advance. In a few cases, half or 1/3rd.