• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the value of a conserved AND qualified book that receives a Blue conserved label?
1 1

1 post in this topic

Hello Boardies,

I recently came across a very interesting specimen on the Bay.  It's ASM #1 with a Blue conserved label due to a professionally cleaned cover, BUT it also has a married cover.  The seller is very straight-forward about this.  So if the book only had a married cover, it would be a green qualified label which would be valued at roughly half of the apparent value (varies by the specific book and grade, i know) of a Blue universal label.  However since the book is also conserved with a professionally cleaned cover, that conservation supersedes the Green label qualified status and the book gets a conserved Blue label with the grey stripe on top.  While it's clear what has been done to the book as it's listed on the label, i'm curious as to your opinions on how such a book would be valued, particularly on auction sites like eBay, Heritage, Comiclink, mycomicshop.com, etc where there is a high degree of emphasis on a CGC Blue label.  My opinion is that since the book has BOTH a married cover and (detectable) professional conservation, its actual value is no more than that of a married Green label book of the same apparent grade (and perhaps even lower depending on the conservation).  However, it would seen that the conserved Blue label with grey stripe actually appears more similar to a Blue universal label and thus may actually sell for significantly more than a Green label book.  Would love to hear your thoughts. 

-Dave

here's the link on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-1963-1-CGC-5-0-CONSERVED-GRADE-FIRST-ISSUE/253957601720?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid%3D58e122f50e0241dd8d208f89020f8bbb%26pid%3D100167%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D253209939240%26itm%3D253957601720&_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940

Note:  This seems like a method that some sellers may use to further enhance the value of big ticket books.  I'm neither condoning or condemning this, it's merely an observation. 

Spoiler

ASM1 conserved.jpg

Edited by davet75