• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective 196 no price!?

30 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Not that era, but S.A.

I never noticed that before.  My copy below is the same so maybe all are like this.  I will take a look at Mike's Amazing World to see cover scans from the same time period as the Tec' and Sea Devils.  Probably been discussed but something new for me.

3110131943071.jpg

Edited by telerites

46 minutes ago, Silver said:

That an unusual price font on your 196. It’s as if they left it off at the beginning of the print run and then part way through just slapped one on. I don’t think it’s the usalu font DC was using then?

It could well be the case that the price was hastily added on when someone noticed it was missing. The 10c price does vary in color from issue to issue and the style varies over time. Usually the 10c is like I have just typed, all three symbols on a straight line but on the 196 the c is raised and so looks inconsistent with what we normally see. Having said that surely there must be other DC examples from that time printed like this?

The 10c price on both your Superboy 26 and Adventure 189 are standard for the time. Clearly the Detective 196 had a 10c added at some stage in the run as not all issues have it. Likely added by someone who normally would not do so because of the different font style. 

On 11/6/2018 at 12:32 PM, steelcity said:

I searched years and years for a nice copy of Detective 196 with its dark Win Mortimer cover. I never knew some copies do not have a 10c price so pleased to learn something new about this book!

DetectiveComics196.jpg

Nice copy!  Now you'll need to hunt down the no price version in the same condition so that you have the matching bookends :bigsmile: