• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective 196 no price!?

30 posts in this topic

On a completely different topic. If Win Mortimer had been working for St. John’s instead of DC his books would be selling like Bakers. He was (IMO) the best artist DC had of the era and his women are beautiful. The difference between him and Baker is the G rated covers of DC versus M for mature that the St. John’s romance titles were.

2 hours ago, Silver said:

On a completely different topic. If Win Mortimer had been working for St. John’s instead of DC his books would be selling like Bakers. He was (IMO) the best artist DC had of the era and his women are beautiful. The difference between him and Baker is the G rated covers of DC versus M for mature that the St. John’s romance titles were.

examples of fave Mortimers, Dan?

These are two that I have off the top of my head. I will look for more. How is Action 206 not a smoking hot book?

Look up Batman 84, I don’t have that one but it’s awesome. Seriously, look up his covers, he’s incredible and incredibly underrated.

act206.jpg

wf65.jpg

Edited by Silver

11 hours ago, Silver said:

There may not be another copy like that 8.5, those books are flat out rare in that grade. I’m gonna take a guess that the copy with the price may be the more scarcer version?

It appears that the "no price" version is the scarcer.

So, we sent this in to be graded after I spoke to someone at CGC who who found 3 other examples of this with no price in past Heritage sales however there were no notes on them regarding lack of price even though they were all graded by CGC. This person said we may have discovered some sort of previously unknown "variant". Anyway, I sent it out and very clearly stated that this issue had no price under the "Variant" field. I may have even included a note in the box. I noticed today that it has shipped and that there is nothing mentioned about the lack of price in the notes. The book is coming back a 3.5 which is expected but I never would have sent it in if I knew they would ignore my notes. Is this common? In my recent experience I find the lack of communication from CGC to be pretty frustrating.

On 11/9/2018 at 2:05 PM, Silver said:

Do you have that Batman 84 Ian?

Batman84.jpg