• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deletion of "Superman Says Don't Be 'Un-American'" Thread
2 2

54 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:

i thought the poster you posted was positive and enjoyed seeing it as I've never seen it before. Didn't follow thread so maybe it devolved into the usual BS?

No.  There was no political debate or argument at all.  It is a pretty plain vanilla poster (being discussed because it is being auctioned by Hake's right now), so I'm baffled by the deletion of the thread.  I have taken it up privately with the moderators and will save my discussion for them.

I just posted here so make sure that I get some confirmation from the moderators that they've seen my private post.  I've never had an interaction with moderators before.

Edited by sfcityduck

Just now, sfcityduck said:

No.  There was no political debate or argument at all.  It is a pretty plain vanilla poster (being discussed because it is being auctioned by Hake's right now), so I'm baffled by the deletion of the thread.  I have taken it up privately with the moderators and will save my discussion for them.

maybe the potential to go bad was enough for Mods to take note

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

maybe the potential to go bad was enough for Mods to take note

Ok - now you're baiting me to criticise the moderator publicly, but I'm going to bite -- a tiny bit.

I've never seen a post discussing WW2 comics deleted.  Even when what is being discussed is the racist and bigoted portrayals in those comics.  Some of my very favourite threads are those discussing Japanese internment comics and the Okajima pedigree on the GA Boards.  Those topics are way more loaded and political than the deleted thread.  But, we (hopefully) allow them because they are important discussions of historical documents.  Here's an example:

I don't know what line the moderator thought the Superman poster thread crossed, but I'm eager to find out.

7 minutes ago, NoMan said:

BTW, thanks for posting Internment thread. Didn't know of it and looks like a good & educational read.

It's a great thread.  The original links to pictures broke, so the OP updated his original article and added new picture links on p. 2 or 3 of the thread.  Prior to that revised post by the OP, I added a side bar on one of my collecting interests related to the topic.

Edited by sfcityduck

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

To whoever is the moderator,

Could you please let me know if you are in receipt of my private posting regarding the deletion of the "Superman Says Don't Be 'Un-American'" thread?  

I look forward to your response to my private post.

Thanks,

sfcityduck

you can open your PM to see if it has been read but it wont be.  We are not worthy of stuff like that.

6 minutes ago, Brock said:

This is the closest thing I could find to mods jumping sharks...

mods.png

(shrug)

MV5BNGIyY2FkZmQtNDY0OC00M2NkLWFjNjMtOWZmNTdkNmZiYjgxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDY3OTcyOQ@@._V1_.jpg

I got a warning because I posted in another thread that I thought that, unfortunately, there was probably a big market for white supremacist comics right now. I guess saying "unfortunately" meant I was taking a position on them?

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Ok - now you're baiting me to criticise the moderator publicly, but I'm going to bite -- a tiny bit.

I've never seen a post discussing WW2 comics deleted.  Even when what is being discussed is the racist and bigoted portrayals in those comics.  Some of my very favourite threads are those discussing Japanese internment comics and the Okajima pedigree on the GA Boards.  Those topics are way more loaded and political than the deleted thread.  But, we (hopefully) allow them because they are important discussions of historical documents.  Here's an example:

I don't know what line the moderator thought the Superman poster thread crossed, but I'm eager to find out.

Timely covers are incredibly rayray. DC didn't seem to go there that hard. Captain Marvel/Fawcett was less extreme than Timely.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

I got a warning because I posted in another thread that I thought that, unfortunately, there was probably a big market for white supremacist comics right now. I guess saying "unfortunately" meant I was taking a position on them?

I think it was the 'right wing' comment that did it.  Any political mentions are verboten.

9 minutes ago, kav said:

I think it was the 'right wing' comment that did it.  Any political mentions are verboten.

So describing underground comics of the 70s as "left wing" would get me a warning?

1 minute ago, the blob said:

So describing underground comics of the 70s as "left wing" would get me a warning?

yes. especially if your post also made it clear you didnt like them.