• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGGroup World Grading Company craziness!

38 posts in this topic

I was hanging out with Nico Esq this Saturday at the Akron Comic Con and we noticed this gem on one of the dealer walls.  I thought it was a PGX but it's some other mark off slab that strangely sounds like CGC but looks like PGX. 

Anyone know anything about the blatant rip off?  Sorry if this has been discussed before but a search yielded nothing. 

Edited by 1Cool

53 minutes ago, Science! said:

IIRC, that's their pre-PGX name, until CGC stepped in. Then they changed their name to PGA until the golf people stepped in.

Such a shame, PGA would be quite a fitting name for them -- Panhandlers Grading Abysmally. 

Edited by mattn792
speeling

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I was hanging out with Nico Esq this Saturday at the Akron Comic Con and we noticed this gem on one of the dealer walls.  I thought it was a PGX but it's some other mark off slab that strangely sounds like CGC but looks like PGX. 

Anyone know anything about the blatant rip off?  Sorry if this has been discussed before but a search yielded nothing. 

12 years?

:sorry:

http://bfy.tw/KiHD

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

That's PGX before they were PGX. 

Yep. Back in my early days of slab collecting, I didn't watch carefully enough and ended up buying one of those slabs, thinking it was an older CGC blue label. 

Grading was as horrible as you'd expect. 

5 hours ago, Science! said:

IIRC, that's their pre-PGX name, until CGC stepped in. Then they changed their name to PGA until the golf people stepped in.

Cant someone step in again?

9 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I think so.  Can anyone else chime in to confirm? 

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a CGC slab.  Shouldn't this thread have vanished already.  It might be PGX before they changed their name.  

24 minutes ago, Transplant said:

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a CGC slab.  Shouldn't this thread have vanished already.  It might be PGX before they changed their name.  

If memory serves, its definitely the precursor to PGX before they settled on the PGX name.  I remember CGG from when I first started collecting graded books (2000!!!).  One seller in particular had a lot of CGG books on eBay back then, most of which seemed to be 9.9s or 10.0s.  That's not a red flag at all...

32 minutes ago, Transplant said:
42 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a CGC slab. 

You might be right.  I'm pretty sure it's not a CBCS slab. 

13 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
47 minutes ago, Transplant said:
56 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a CGC slab. 

You might be right.  I'm pretty sure it's not a CBCS slab. 

I think it might be an ACE slab.