• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reynold Brown's BEHIND THE HIGH WALL (1956)

10 posts in this topic

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, Bronty said:

terrific.   I'm only a little familiar with Brown but really like what I've seen of his work.

Reynold Brown is my all-time-favourite Movie Poster artist.  He is more well known for his Horror and Science-Fiction stuff  of the 1950s and 60s (which commands high prices).  I'm just happy to now own four of his paintings when (going back a few months) I thought just one example would be a big stretch for me!

My FB group has been very successful for networking, as I'm sure will be the case with your own FB Game Art group.  

Edited by The Voord

On 11/6/2018 at 8:58 AM, The Voord said:

I purchased Reynold Brown's movie poster painting for BEHIND THE HIGH WALL (1956) in recent times.  The painting had minor condition issues, but nothing that couldn't be corrected.  As bought, the painting had areas of (noticeable) dirt along the left-hand yellow border . . . two photographic paste-ups were missing . . . and a small area of yellow paint had lifted away when the bottom photo was removed from the art.

Carefully using an eraser, most of the surface dirt came away from the yellow border easily enough.

For the small area of missing yellow paint (to the immediate left of where the bottom photo was once situated), I mixed a near-as-dammit match of acrylic paint and used an airbrush to re-colour (I've been painting for a long, long time, so do have experience in such matters).

Next my print-maker friend in Los Angeles, Lloyd Braddy, acquired for me a printed poster of the movie advertising campaign (surprisingly available on eBay for $20).  Lloyd scanned the two photo elements and reduced them in size to match the original painting (illustrated at a smaller scale to the printed poster).  The two photographic recreations were printed out onto heavy card by Lloyd and once forwarded to me I used a recommended archival paste to lightly affix them to the art.

Not exactly a major piece of restoration, but I do think the end-result shows a marked improvement.

Here's a selection of photographs showing the project in progress from beginning to end . . .

1 BTHW - pre restoration.jpg

2 BTHW - part restoration.jpg

BTHW - detail 1.jpg

BTHW - detail 2.jpg

BTHW - restored.jpg

SDC15302 rev.jpg

Nice example of tasteful restoration!  David

2 hours ago, The Voord said:

Reynold Brown is my all-time-favourite Movie Poster artist.  He is more well known for his Horror and Science-Fiction stuff  of the 1950s and 60s (which commands high prices).  I'm just happy to now own four of his paintings when (going back a few months) I thought just one example would be a big stretch for me!

My FB group has been very successful for networking, as I'm sure will be the case with your own FB Game Art group.  

You have 4?  Let's see the other 3!