• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the best Comic Con for comics?

26 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I live in Canada, near Calgary. I go to the Calgary Comic Expo every year but I've heard from some of the dealers that the US has better conventions. I'm also thinking of taking a couple weeks and doing a road trip into the US next summer so I figured why not hit up a comic con while I do it!?  The problem is I really don't know what comic con would be best for comics (I'm not really interested in celebrities or toys or other merch, just comics). I've heard San Diago Comic Con, while huge, has become more of an entertainment expo and less about the comics. What are your guys favourite cons for buying comics? 

Thanks again!

38 minutes ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Hey guys, I live in Canada, near Calgary. I go to the Calgary Comic Expo every year but I've heard from some of the dealers that the US has better conventions. I'm also thinking of taking a couple weeks and doing a road trip into the US next summer so I figured why not hit up a comic con while I do it!?  The problem is I really don't know what comic con would be best for comics (I'm not really interested in celebrities or toys or other merch, just comics). I've heard San Diago Comic Con, while huge, has become more of an entertainment expo and less about the comics. What are your guys favourite cons for buying comics? 

Thanks again!

I've only been to Eastcoast and Midwest Cons and Baltimore and Heroes are two very good Cons.  From a buying perspective i really Like MotorCity Con near Detroit, Michigan.  But with Calgary being over on the west side of the country would you want to drive back and forth across the entire US?  I've heard the Seattle Con is pretty good.

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

I've heard C2E2, Baltimore and Charlotte are the best.  But opinions definitely vary.  

Baltimore for sure, and I would also toss in Terrificon in August in CT.  Lots of comics only dealers.

56 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I've only been to Eastcoast and Midwest Cons and Baltimore and Heroes are two very good Cons.  From a buying perspective i really Like MotorCity Con near Detroit, Michigan.  But with Calgary being over on the west side of the country would you want to drive back and forth across the entire US?  I've heard the Seattle Con is pretty good.

That's a good point. I guess my plan was if there was a consensus that a certain con was amazing I would look into what I could stop and see on my way there and figure out if it was worth it or not. But realistically people's suggestions are probably going to be all over the map (literally) and I will likely only have a couple weeks so I'll probably be sticking to the western states. 

3 hours ago, Shawnismaximus said:

I'm also thinking of taking a couple weeks and doing a road trip into the US next summer so I figured why not hit up a comic con while I do it!? 

Here's a wacky idea.  You could do 3 conventions on 3 consecutive weekends...

Seattle March 14-17

C2E2 March 22-24

WonderCon March 29-31

5 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Here's a wacky idea.  You could do 3 conventions on 3 consecutive weekends...

Seattle March 14-17

C2E2 March 22-24

WonderCon March 29-31

C2E2 is in Chicago right? That would make for way too much driving, but the other two are definitely possible!  I just wish they were a bit later in the year as it's hard to predict how the roads will be for me in March. 

1 minute ago, Shawnismaximus said:

C2E2 is in Chicago right? That would make for way too much driving, but the other two are definitely possible!  I just wish they were a bit later in the year as it's hard to predict how the roads will be for me in March. 

You can jump on Interstate 5 in Seattle and take it directly south to Anaheim for WonderCon.  Another plus is that WonderCon is held directly across the street from Disneyland.

21 hours ago, NoMan said:

Yorba Linda con is the ticket. 

I would have to go +3.  One of the most concentrated and packed shows out there. Nothing but vintage comics. Only one day, but what a day! Great thing is that it is end of January. Perfect time for a small vacation to dig out of the snow. Lots of So CAL attractions nearby. Have seen TONS of out of state dealers and buyers at this show.