• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the best Comic Con for comics?

26 posts in this topic

I'll agree that C2E2 is a good convention for comics, I've always done well there, but I can't stand the layout at McCormick Place. Too crowded for my liking. Lots of vendors though.

Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con is another place where I've done well w/ comics. Lots of comic vendors, Vegas LCS Maximum Comics puts up a giant booth with probably a literal ton of books, but kind of small artists alley.The show also has a top-notch lineup of creators & celebrities, so its easy to pick up signatures.

FanX Salt Lake is trying like crazy to rival SDCC. I haven't been to San Diego yet, so I can't offer a personalized comparison. What I can say is that FanX SLC is incredible. Lots of comic vendors, lots of creators & celebrities, and lots of stuff to do beyond just the convention in the same area as the convention center.

Comicpalooza in Houston is another great show. They open up the entire George R. Brown convention center, which is massive; and there are a bunch of great comic vendors. Houston LCS Bedrock City Comic Co. has the second largest LCS booth I've ever seen at a convention. Maximum Comics in Las Vegas takes up more space at ALVCC, but I don't think they bring as much merchandise as Bedrock City does. Lots of smaller shops from around Texas set up shop too; a couple of notables are Uncanny Comics & 8th Dimension Comics & Games, those two have excellent back issue bins, and great "wall" books. There's also an older gentleman who attends every other year or so with a booth I refer to as "the high roller room." Last time I saw him, I'd have to guess he had at least five million dollars in comics in that 10x10; two copies of Action Comics #1, a couple of AF #15, a couple of Detective Comics #27...row after row of six or seven figure books.

On 11/6/2018 at 2:13 PM, nearmint said:

You could do 3 conventions in a month ...

Seattle March 14-17

WonderCon March 29-31

Since you are driving from Calgary, AB, I recommend Vancouver Comic Show Sun. Feb 24, 2019 then road trip to Seattle Emerald City comic-con, tour shops in Portland, OR on your way to Wondercon, CA. But that is a lot of round trip driving.

Van Comic Show has about 170 x 8' tables full of comics, toys, NES games, graphic novels so enough competition for decent pricing in Canadian loonies:

1ahZfYj.jpg

On 11/6/2018 at 3:41 PM, miraclemet said:

out west the best cons... 

Emerald City Comicon in Seattle is very god. 
Planetcomicon used to be great, havent been in over a decade (it's in Kansas)

I'll second Emerald City as a good one.  Went last year for the first time, and was very impressed with the selection of GA/SA available.  Looking forward to the show in March.

On 11/11/2018 at 8:55 AM, aardvark88 said:

Since you are driving from Calgary, AB, I recommend Vancouver Comic Show Sun. Feb 24, 2019 then road trip to Seattle Emerald City comic-con, tour shops in Portland, OR on your way to Wondercon, CA. But that is a lot of round trip driving.

Van Comic Show has about 170 x 8' tables full of comics, toys, NES games, graphic novels so enough competition for decent pricing in Canadian loonies:

1ahZfYj.jpg

Y'know I love Vancouver island, So that's not a bad idea!

Are there any good Comic shows in Vancouver during the summer?

8 hours ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Are there any good Comic shows in Vancouver during the summer?

There may be a small Sunday Heritage Hall comic-con in Vancouver during the summer. Sorry, the much larger comic and toy-centric Vancouver Comic Show is only 3 times per year: Feb. 24, 2019, June Father's Day, and Sunday before Hallowe'en. Driving wise from Calgary, the hwy and roads should be clear of snow in June or Oct, 2019.

Duzqktt.jpg