• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why I enjoy comics: great panels, dialogue etc...
3 3

100 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2018 at 10:50 PM, Jaylam said:

Hey JazzMan, I remember this Black Widow page and how. Interestingly, I just now have realized that the name of the apartment building mentioned on the same page is sort of a double entendre considering the implied nude illustration of Black Widow coming out of the shower. 

black widow full page yellow highlight.jpg

In an odd bit of synchronicity, this past the Spider-Man newspaper strip has featured the "Mammon Theater" recently. Here's last Sunday's strip. (Credit to Josh and Comics Curmudgeon, one of my favorite blogs, for the reminder).

Apparently the Mammon folks have several real estate holdings in the Marvel U.

i181104spidey.jpg

On 11/7/2018 at 2:22 PM, F For Fake said:

I have a similar story. Born in the late 70's, grew up in the 80's with Art Adams and his progeny. Kirby looked so WEIRD to me, I just did not get it.

When I was 19, I started working at a comic shop, and the comic buyer there mentored me, and flipped those switches in my brain. I've been a devoted Kirby fan ever since.

These are a couple of the images that cracked the code for me:

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_66.jpg

download.jpg

devil_dinosaur_.jpg

Awoouu! 

On 11/7/2018 at 12:22 PM, F For Fake said:

I have a similar story. Born in the late 70's, grew up in the 80's with Art Adams and his progeny. Kirby looked so WEIRD to me, I just did not get it.

When I was 19, I started working at a comic shop, and the comic buyer there mentored me, and flipped those switches in my brain. I've been a devoted Kirby fan ever since.

These are a couple of the images that cracked the code for me:

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_66.jpg

Paging @oakman29 Paging @oakman29!

I vividly remember this double panel... but more so the few pages leading up to it... as Spidey was waiting in the old “dusty” abandoned Goblin lair, figuring there was no real way he could be back... and then he realizes it’s fake dust and he waits and we see the shadow and then this dramatic reveal that he’s back from the dead (even though it’s Harry).   As much as I love Ditko and Romita, I really love the Andru era... becuase I lived it. 

DEE81FC1-6A42-4F04-9F89-2C2EAA4DC305.thumb.jpeg.ad8fff0a4bbd7f02d0a3d685b7c52180.jpeg

An extremely powerful warlord with an armada of millions sought to intimidate and challenge the fabled Watcher.  Making the crucial mistake of forcing him to defend himself and his home...

Warlord Wrogg:    I thought you’d soon start begging.  I knew you weren’t as mighty as the legends claim.

Watcher:  You are wrong, Warlord.  The Watcher does not beg.  I was about to say that all of your power is as nothing to me.

To set an example, the Watcher used but a fraction of his power to speed up time on the spot with which the Warlord and his Marshall stood, then quickly crumbled to dust.  The Warlord’s mighty boastful armies swiftly fled with their tails tucked between their legs.

It’s just fiction, but man did that tale, and the incalculable might of the Watcher, blow me away as a kid.

069942D1-C538-4BEA-85CE-4C45D981AC6A.jpeg

Edited by bronze_rules

This here is a page from Superman: The Man of Steel #18 (Dec 1992). I can't say that I'm a big fan of Jon Bogdanove's pencils combined with Denis Janke's dark and heavy inks, but seeing this page reprinted in the Death of Superman TPB during a Kroger trip as an 11 year in 1994 was a moment that turned into a life long enjoyment/obsession. 

Of course I knew of Superman, who was disguised as Clark Kent, but to actually see this transformation on a comic book page, with comic book colors was the first hook. :cloud9:

IMG_5851.thumb.jpg.fb76e20324550575f443af3fbf38066a.jpg 

11 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

An extremely powerful warlord with an armada of millions sought to intimidate and challenge the fabled Watcher.  Making the crucial mistake of forcing him to defend himself and his home...

Warlord Wrogg:    I thought you’d soon start begging.  I knew you weren’t as mighty as the legends claim.

Watcher:  You are wrong, Warlord.  The Watcher does not beg.  I was about to say that all of your power is as nothing to me.

To set an example, the Watcher used but a fraction of his power to speed up time on the spot with which the Warlord and his Marshall stood, then quickly crumbled to dust.  The Warlord’s mighty boastful armies swiftly fled with their tails tucked between their legs.

It’s just fiction, but man did that tale, and the incalculable might of the Watcher, blow me away as a kid.

069942D1-C538-4BEA-85CE-4C45D981AC6A.jpeg

This what I'm talking about. Beautiful little segment that packs a tremendous punch. What issue of what title is this from? Also, this looks like George Tuska art.

3 hours ago, Jaylam said:

This what I'm talking about. Beautiful little segment that packs a tremendous punch. What issue of what title is this from? Also, this looks like George Tuska art.

Yes! It is George Tuska - good eye. Like Gil Kane’s nostrils, I find his gaping cartoonish teeth to almost be a tell-tale signature.   Really appreciate him more now.

Tales of Suspense #58, “The Watcher must die.”

I scanned it from marvel masterworks, but I think I first read it in one of the fireside Origins, years ago, as a kid.

The Watcher had some really great standalone tales.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 11/10/2018 at 11:56 AM, mymanga003 said:

Can't locate a legitimate picture on the web yet Ana Miralles visit de-constrain in Djinn 13 to delineate Kim Nelson in road garments was unbelievable: deliberately picked, in vogue yet downplayed, versatile to her condition. The best work I've seen her do in that arrangement. She had given careful consideration to surfaces, structure and examples all through the whole arrangement 365manga yet the quieted storyline wrapping up the arrangement in issue 13 enabled her to talk louder when dealing with the real world (whatever is left of the arrangement is saturated with supernatural quality).

Awoouu!