• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you don't like no matter how hard you've tried
2 2

87 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, piper said:

Saga and Preacher are at the top of my list.

Preacher… I don’t know. If it is supposed to be satire, OK.
But it is such a commentary on focused facets of american culture that I don’t get it.
Even as satire, sounds very pretentious.

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Looking back now, what spoils them for me is the frequently bombastic, almost metal lyric-like dialogue.

But, still enjoyable in places.

Kirby’s Fourth World is fantastic as far as concept and art. His vision was awesome. But for me, his writing was wanting, especially the dialog. He was a great artist and idea man, he just was not very good in expressing it in words IMO.

1 hour ago, vaillant said:

As a whole? :frown:

I've read the early issues of both (like the first 30 or so) and never connected with either one.  I'm an Iron Man, DD and Batman guy.  It's always been about brain (as opposed to super) power for me.

Edited by KPR Comics

8 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Kirby’s Fourth World is fantastic as far as concept and art. His vision was awesome. But for me, his writing was wanting, especially the dialog. He was a great artist and idea man, he just was not very good in expressing it in words IMO.

I believe that is more or less thoroughly acknowledged. A good plotter, but dialogues were his weaker spot.
The Fourth World especially suffers from this, as it was a very ambitious project. But I hold that New Gods manages to escape this.
The characters speak as they are supposed to speak. Now, that works less in the other titles (Forever People being probably the less carefully done), but New Gods is solid.
Obviously this did not work in most of what he did as a full author (plotter, writer and artist – and editor!)

12 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

I've read the early issues of both (like the first 30 or so) and never connected with either one.  I'm an Iron Man, DD and Batman guy.  It's always been about brain (as opposed to super) power for me.

I see. Well, I am a total fan but I can’t relate much to this, as I started reading them with issue 175. One of the most mature and complex story arcs, from Roy Thomas and John Buscema.
As a kid I was blown out by the complexity, introspection, depth. Not by the powers, not chiefly at least, although I liked the imagination. I became a big fan of Iron Man by reading some early issues in the title recently: I always knew it was a solid series, but these surprised me for their maturity, substance, and also the artwork (I am thinking of #14, for example: a standalone story, and what a book!)
So, when I happened to read the earlier adventures I already loved them and it was like browsing an old family album (I loved the simplicity of #7, but mostly #8, in its very human situation and the complex character of the Puppet Master, which raised Alicia but was somewhat evil).
As for Batman, I am unable to compare DC characters to the Marvel Age, although obviously when there are runs of good stories they stand out. The Silver and Bronze age DC lacked that unifying quality, that wholesomeness of vision that the Marvel Age was imbued with.

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

If the Mod(s) could please remove the post in this thread badmouthing Frank Miller, I think it would help the community as a whole. 

You mean the one by FineCollector? He merely stated he does not like his work. o.O
What’s "badmouthing"?
Or maybe you were referring to another post?

Just now, NoMan said:

Anyone that says they don't like Frank Miller is "badmouthing." :banana:

Well, that’s another matter. I don’t like most of his work, but for varied reasons.
I quite like Dark Knight as a reflection on Batman, not his work in the context of the Marvel age.
And this does not represent "badmouthing" by any means. ;)

3 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Hmm ... Fourth world is on my top 3 ever list. But to each his own.

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Granted I've only read a few books in passing at the used bookstore...  :foryou:

It's well written, just not among my must haves...

I jumped into those by buying the Absolute format because I had a feeling I’d like them. I remember at first it was difficult to find my groove with it. But by the end of that first volume and especially into the second I knew it’d be my favorite series. Neil is an otherworldly genius with a truly impressive imagination. Naturally it won’t be for everyone and that’s ok 👍

Interesting that many of the books noted here are among my top all time favorites. Oh well, different strokes and all that.