• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you don't like no matter how hard you've tried
2 2

87 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Pretty much every DC book ever made especially Silver and Bronze Age.

I'm ok with a lot of modern DC stuff (but not too modern), but yah silver and bronze and copper is ROUGH - except Alan Moore stuff and SwampThing.  I do actually like the original Teen Titans series though.  Its pretty good, if you get past some of the condescension towards women (I get that it was a different time).  I like that the kids are just trying to figure out their place and roles, it resonated.

I don't like anything Jack Kirby wrote or drew that isn't Marvel.

Given that taste is subjective, and everyone likes what they like and that's ok, I'm not going to try to sway anyone on Sandman. I WILL say that i have friends who have, in the past, slagged off Sandman as being too artsy fartsy, or whatever. I think this is wrong, obviously. I DO think that it pushed the boundaries of comic book fantasy storytelling, and it was very intelligently written, naturally.

However, it's also a HUGE love letter to DC comics characters and fandom. Look how Gaiman integrated elements as disparate as Kirby's Sandman, Cain and Abel (and their Houses of Secrets and Mysteries), Hector Hall, Element Girl, and sooooo much more. Sandman is an exploration of so many different kinds of mythology, and that includes the mythology of the DC Universe.

It was also illustrated by some of the best to ever pick up a pen/pencil/brush.

Oh well.

And Love and Rockets? Geezus, where do I start with how great that is???

Oh well, again. Off the soapbox.

Personally, my little bit of sacrilege is that I think that the majority of Golden Age superhero books (with a few notable exceptions like Cole's Plastic Man, Eisner's Spirit, and Beck's, Captain Marvel) are an unbearable snooze. I love the covers, i love the history, but trying to read them is an absolute chore. 

3 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

Star Wars - original 1977 series.  I know that it followed the movie story line for a few issues with each movie, but the art was such a turn off that it really didn't give the movies any justice.

art was way bad.  As were covers like SWING THAT LIGHT SABRE BEN!!!  

Yeah Luke was often known for giving instructions to Obi Kenobi 

6 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

Star Wars - original 1977 series.  I know that it followed the movie story line for a few issues with each movie, but the art was such a turn off that it really didn't give the movies any justice.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

art was way bad.  As were covers like SWING THAT LIGHT SABRE BEN!!!  

Yeah Luke was often known for giving instructions to Obi Kenobi 

It was so bad that I traded SW #1 for a Marvel Two-In-One because I couldn't stand it.  Not the best move financially, but it pleased me tremendously.

Just now, JazzMan said:

It was so bad that I traded SW #1 for a Marvel Two-In-One because I couldn't stand it.  Not the best move financially, but it pleased me tremendously.

you came out ahead on that one

57 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Agreed, and Deadpool is one of my favorite characters. I don’t own a copy.

We can safely say that Deadpool as a character came to life way after that incidental first apperance.
And it’s quite a standalone character, which reached the peak of his success more or less after the Marvel age was dead cold.
So, yes, as a New Mutants fan I agree: I was enraged when that beautiful title got messed up, Liefeld arrived and the stories went down the WC.
And that was Bob Harras pushing for "immediate sensation": there is an enlightening interview with Louise Simonson (then writer of the NM) about the whole story.

Edited by vaillant
typos

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Interesting that many of the books noted here are among my top all time favorites. Oh well, different strokes and all that.

People should try to give reasons for their dislike: in the end, if the discussion becomes just a means of ranting about "dislikes" it ends up being merely about taste, which is not enriching or useful.
I always try to explain why I dislike something: it’s almost never a mere matter of taste.
For example, I am sure that Transmetropolitan has something, but I have never read it. I can appreciate Mark Millar when he writes some of his own things, but not when Marvel ask(ed) him to mess with Marvel characters: it’s like ravaging a dead corpse! xD

Just now, vaillant said:

People should try to give reasons for their dislike: in the end, if the discussion becomes just a means of ranting about "dislikes" it ends up being merely about taste, which is not enriching or useful.
I always try to explain why I dislike something: it’s almost never a mere matter of taste.
For example, I am sure that Transmetropolitan has something, but I have never read it. I can appreciate Mark Millar when he writes some of his own things, but not when Marvel ask(ed) him to mess with Marvel characters: it’s like ravaging a dead corpse! xD

In order to do this I would have to go back and reread so i could  pick apart panel by panel as I've blocked them out of my mind.  I'm not going to do that.

Just now, kav said:

In order to do this I would have to go back and reread so i could  pick apart panel by panel as I've blocked them out of my mind.  I'm not going to do that.

I was not thinking of you Kav, just speaking loudly in general. It’s understandable not enjoying most of the ones you listed, but one thing is dislike, another is objective criticism. And criticism is what is enriching.

I will say it often boils down to 'hyuk isnt this comic funny!  The hero jokes n stuff while shootin!!!  Hyuk!'  or 'look a morose character isnt this a great comic because of that!!'

Lousy scripting/dialogue might give me pause but I'll usually manage to slog through it because I want to get through that character's story arc.  Lousy art (subjective, yes) though will stop me dead in my tracks every time, even if the story is good.  I'm binge re-reading SA Cap via Gitcorp CD and am already dreading the Frank Robbins run that I know is coming up, even though he had some defenders from the vitriol that came out in the letters column (unless Marvel made it up to provide a different POV).

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Morrison Doom Patrol.

It started out okay but got increasingly pretentious, as is also typical of most of his later work.  

I like Morrison's early stories such as Zenith and Animal Man.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Given that taste is subjective, and everyone likes what they like and that's ok, I'm not going to try to sway anyone on Sandman. I WILL say that i have friends who have, in the past, slagged off Sandman as being too artsy fartsy, or whatever. I think this is wrong, obviously. I DO think that it pushed the boundaries of comic book fantasy storytelling, and it was very intelligently written, naturally.

However, it's also a HUGE love letter to DC comics characters and fandom. Look how Gaiman integrated elements as disparate as Kirby's Sandman, Cain and Abel (and their Houses of Secrets and Mysteries), Hector Hall, Element Girl, and sooooo much more. Sandman is an exploration of so many different kinds of mythology, and that includes the mythology of the DC Universe.

It was also illustrated by some of the best to ever pick up a pen/pencil/brush

Wonderful post!  You perfectly laid out the reasons why “Sandman” is so highly regarded.  It’s so well crafted.  

Changing artists each arc was a stroke of brilliance, as obvious as it looks today.  

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

All Star Superman by Grant Morrison

It's revered by DC fans, but something about Morrison's writing just doesn't do it for me.

It really is “different strokes for different folks”.  I thought it was near perfection.  It’s hard to make Superman interesting,  But he did.  

I really turned against Morrison’s work when DC was advertising his series, ‘The Filth’. A comment was made that most readers wouldn’t be able to understand the concepts the writer was using in it.

I ignored the comic when it was published, as I’d been informed here that I didn’t have an IQ high enough to be capable of following what was going on, and so there was no real point to investing any money buying the series or any time reading something that a patronising editor had prejudged to be way beyond my comprehensive ability. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

24 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I really turned against Morrison’s work when DC was advertising his series, ‘The Filth’. A comment was made that most readers wouldn’t be able to understand the concepts the writer was using in it.

I ignored the comic when it was published, as I’d been informed here that I didn’t have an IQ high enough to be capable of following what was going on, and so there was no real point to investing any money buying the series or any time reading something that a patronising editor had prejudged to be way beyond my comprehensive ability. 

I must not have understood it either because I thought it was terrible.