• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you don't like no matter how hard you've tried
2 2

87 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I really turned against Morrison’s work when DC was advertising his series, ‘The Filth’. A comment was made that most readers wouldn’t be able to understand the concepts the writer was using in it.

I ignored the comic when it was published, as I’d been informed here that I didn’t have an IQ high enough to be capable of following what was going on, and so there was no real point to investing any money buying the series or any time reading something that a patronising editor had prejudged to be way beyond my comprehensive ability. 

the job of a writer is to write so the reader can understand.  FAIL
Sure I could write gibberish like finengans wake and claim you have to be smart to understand it or see the emperor's new clothes but I'm not gunna.

21 minutes ago, kav said:

the job of a writer is to write so the reader can understand.  FAIL
Sure I could write gibberish like finengans wake and claim you have to be smart to understand it or see the emperor's new clothes but I'm not gunna.

I remember having a brief discussion about Finnegan’s Wake when I was at university, and, in passing, described it as ‘mangled English’. Surprisingly, I received a positive response, that I’d made an accurate and extremely unpretentious description.  Perhaps that explains my dislike of much of Grant Morrison’s work. Although the concepts are there, I often believe that they have been pulled from fields in which academics could spend decades working and studying, and I don’t find his usage to be particularly clear, and possibly even very superficial for that reason.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I remember having a brief discussion about Finnegan’s Wake when I was at university, and, in passing, described it as ‘mangled English’. Surprisingly, I received a positive response, that I’d made an accurate and extremely unpretentious description.  Perhaps that explains my dislike of much of Grant Morrison’s work. Although the concepts are there, I often believe that they have been pulled from fields in which academics could spend decades working and studying, and I don’t find his usage to be particularly clear, and possibly even very superficial for that reason.

I argued with someone who said joyce was a genius and his stuff was awesome I merely pulled out finnegan's wake, opened to random page random sentence and said really tell me what this means then.  yeah I won that argument.

What happened was they kept reading joyce was a genius so instead of using their own brain and actually reading him they just parrotted.  People do this a lot and mistake it for 'thinking'.

11 hours ago, kav said:

What happened was they kept reading joyce was a genius so instead of using their own brain and actually reading him they just parrotted.  People do this a lot and mistake it for 'thinking'.

Dude, it saves so much time.

13 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

It really is “different strokes for different folks”.  I thought it was near perfection.  It’s hard to make Superman interesting,  But he did.  

Agree 100%. I can think of only a couple of Superman stories that I actually enjoyed, and All Star is right at the top of that list. To me, it's one of the best distillations of the character, and should be the example that Hollywood uses to pattern their films after, as they keep managing to screw that up.

And FWIW, I agree that Morrison can sometimes disappear up his own , but I think that Animal Man, Doom Patrol, and The Invisibles are terrific works, so imaginative.

31 minutes ago, Science! said:

And while you're on those drugs go read Promethea by Alan Moore and J H Williams III.

I liked everything about promethea except naming a super team the five swell guys.

Post watchmen Moore has a knack for wanting you to take him uber serious then doing something like naming a group the five swell guys.

Edited by kav

3 hours ago, Pirate said:

I don't like anything by JRJR.  Don't care who the writer is.  My reasoning is his art sucks big donkey balls

He's currently doing some of his worst art at DC.  The simplest, blockiest-looking style I've ever seen him use.  To me, quite ugly.

That said, I like a lot of his 80s work, especially with his best inker, Al Williamson.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Watchmen is another on my list.  The concept was very cerebral, but I got bored after about half way through the TPB.  I watched the movie, but it was still, meh.  I know lots of people love Watchmen, but I just don't get the attraction.

1 hour ago, JazzMan said:

Watchmen is another on my list.  The concept was very cerebral, but I got bored after about half way through the TPB.  I watched the movie, but it was still, meh.  I know lots of people love Watchmen, but I just don't get the attraction.

when it came out we would read the issue, discuss it, reread etc.  then wait a month, pondering everything.  maybe this is the best way watchmen should be read.  Enjoyed it immensely.  Got me back into comics.

12 minutes ago, kav said:

when it came out we would read the issue, discuss it, reread etc.  then wait a month, pondering everything.  maybe this is the best way watchmen should be read.  Enjoyed it immensely.  Got me back into comics.

I was exactly the opposite.  I couldn't get into it as individual issues, but thought it was fantastic as a collected edition.

Decades on, I much prefer the film's ending to Moore's fabricated alien squid invasion.