• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Bats 1
5 5

579 posts in this topic

Captain America #1 is undoubtably an iconic Golden Age cover, but then again Batman #1 is too.

Batman #1 also has the first appearance of the Joker - arguably the greatest comic book villain of all time, but then again Cap 1 has arguably the greatest actual villain of all time.

But I think after all is said and done Batman's character isn't rooted in American nationalism, and thus his appeal reaches a wider audience. 

Edited by Phill the Governor

44 minutes ago, telerites said:

Always cap 1 for me. 

Bats 1 isn't even bat's 1st app.  

Cap's cover punching hitler is pure GA goodness ans encapsulates what that era was.

Of course I would love to own a Batman 1 but its 1st appearance of Joker vs 1st appearance of Captain America.  I'm going to go with Captain America moving forward

Edited by Spiderturtle

Bats 1 has a Boy Blunder on the cover and inside - that in itself should be enough to even with Joker's 1st to declare Cap 1 victorious.  And I agree, Joker is one of the best villains ever in comicdom but Robin ruined Batman (for me).

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

if you are Batman Fan 

You calledlol

i am a big Batman fan and would take Batman 1 over Captain America 1 but just slightly and if you asked me which has a better cover, I would say Captain America in a fraction of a second.  

17 hours ago, telerites said:

Bats 1 has a Boy Blunder on the cover and inside - that in itself should be enough to even with Joker's 1st to declare Cap 1 victorious.  And I agree, Joker is one of the best villains ever in comicdom but Robin ruined Batman (for me).

And Bucky makes you fee good about Captain America?

Let's face it, of the kid sidekicks Robin is the best.  He has the best origin.  He has the best rationale.  He makes the most sense for the hero.

Rip-offs like Bucky are just embarrassing examples of trying to jump on a trend.  And, for me, the little Bucky circle that overlays Captain America on the cover of CA 1 is just one of many reasons I  view CA 1 as a clunky composition that is not that great cover. 

Edited by sfcityduck

17 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

And Bucky makes you fee good about Captain America?

Let's face it, of the kid sidekicks Robin is the best.  He has the best origin.  He has the best rationale.  He makes the most sense for the hero.

Rip-offs like Bucky are just embarrassing examples of trying to jump on a trend.  And, for me, the little Bucky circle that overlays Captain America on the cover of CA 1 is just one of many reasons I don't view CA 1 as a clunky composition that is not that great cover. 

Sure, I like me some Bucky.  He has long pants.  Sorry if my opinion and likes don't match others.  I'm just a free thinker I guess.  Regardless though, I respect your opinion and no doubt others feel the same way.  Robin is one of the most recognizable characters created in comics but I just never liked the character.

Edited by telerites

Not to mention, Bat #1 has his origin and the first Catwoman as well I believe. He has always been (along with Superman) top of the heap with the non- comic collecting public. You mention Batman to them and you get a reaction. Cap, not as much.

I am a Marvel Zombie and much prefer the Cap #1 cover. But when I had to sell my Bat #1  or Cap #1, sadly, I let the Cap go...

Collecting for values Detective comics #27 will continue to rule Captain America #1 but I believe the distance between Captain America #1 and Batman #1 will widen with Cap in the lead. Maybe if Batman was punching the Joker or it had a sexy Catwoman pose on the cover of #1 I might have a different opinion.

In terms of fun to own I think owning Cap #1 is far more fun than Bats #1. Copies of Batman #1 also seemed far more common than Captain America #1 to me (I could be wrong there). Detective comics #27 is still the Batman book to own by a mile over Bats #1. Captain America #1 doesn’t share that problem because his first book is the Cap book to own.

Batman #1 pros: first issue of title. First Joker and the Cat (though not Catwoman yet).

cons: no Joker on cover. The Cat not really Catwoman in her first appearance.

Captain America #1 pros: first issue of title. First appearance of Captain America and Bucky (Winter Soldier). First appearance of the Red Skull. Hitler cover.

cons: no Red Skull on cover (although Hilter is probably better)

My 2c...

4 hours ago, thedude said:

Batman #1 for me please, 1st Joker and let's not forget, let's not forget, 1st Catwoman as well.

+1

From a strict cover to cover content point of view, Bat 1 is better than Cap 1 and is probably the top GA book out there from a pure content point of view.  (thumbsu