• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Bats 1
5 5

586 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

From a strict cover to cover content point of view, Bat 1 is better than Cap 1 and is probably the top GA book out there from a pure content point of view.  (thumbsu

I agree.  But this is where the encapsulation process throws a wrench in the works.  It’s the cover we see, not the content. I like the cover of Cap 1 better, which I can lovingly gaze at all day every day, but I like the interior of Bat 1 better, which I’ll never get to stare at and fondle.  Its a conundrum!

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

From a strict cover to cover content point of view, Bat 1 is better than Cap 1 and is probably the top GA book out there from a pure content point of view.  (thumbsu

Good point.  Let's look at it from this angle.

Let's for fun assume that you're 10 years old and that you're back in the day.  For arguments sake, let's assume that both books are on the rack at the same time.  The books of course are 10 cents each (they have no value beyond the reading aspect) and you have but 1 dime to spend.  Which one do you buy?  And "no" there's no asking for an advance on your allowance; borrowing 10 cents from a friend etc etc

12 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Good point.  Let's look at it from this angle.

Let's for fun assume that you're 10 years old and that you're back in the day.  For arguments sake, let's assume that both books are on the rack at the same time.  The books of course are 10 cents each (they have no value beyond the reading aspect) and you have but 1 dime to spend.  Which one do you buy?  And "no" there's no asking for an advance on your allowance; borrowing 10 cents from a friend etc etc

I'm gonna buy the one where the guy is punching Hitler.

3 hours ago, Cimm said:

I'm gonna buy the one where the guy is punching Hitler.

I LOVE this response.  That's exactly the way some 10 year old kids would think!

If I'd already been familiar with Batman then I'd be strongly tempted to buy Batman 1.  Leafing through Captain America 1 though, my thoughts would be that the art's pretty good and the Red Skull villain looks really creepy.

I'd probably be leafing through them and flipping my dime so long that the store owner would say "Hey kid!  Are you reading or buying?"  lol

Batman #1 most likely...

Edited by pemart1966

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, Phill the Governor said:

But I think after all is said and done Batman's character isn't rooted in American nationalism, and thus his appeal reaches a wider audience. 

This must be the driving force b/c joker vs Cap.....  I take the superhero over the villain. 

tec27>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cap 1 but

Cap 1>bat 1

Edited by Spiderturtle

32 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

This must be the driving force b/c joker vs Cap.....  I take the superhero over the villain. 

tec27>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cap 1 but

Cap 1>bat 1

I always have the same argument. Hero over villain everytime on a first appearance. That’s also why I prefer Tec 38 over Bats 1 ( plus the origin ). Yeah, Tec 27 obviously isn’t in the same breath as either Cap 1 or Bats 1 

Batman 1 ever so slightly over Cap 1 .... just because Batman is so great and the Joker is just epic!  However, Cap 1 cover is AMAZING and Cap is also great ....... errrrr tough choice - but I stick with bats 1 ever so slightly.

For me top 4 would go: (1) Action 1, (2) Tec 27, (3) Bats 1, (4) Cap 1

2 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Batman 1 ever so slightly over Cap 1 .... just because Batman is so great and the Joker is just epic!  However, Cap 1 cover is AMAZING and Cap is also great ....... errrrr tough choice - but I stick with bats 1 ever so slightly.

For me top 4 would go: (1) Action 1, (2) Tec 27, (3) Bats 1, (4) Cap 1

I have Cap 1 at #3 as the greatest GA Marvel book.  I probably have All Star 8 at # 4 and Pep 22 coming in at #5. 

9 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Cap 1 interior I think holds its own. Tons of Cap plus the origin of him / winter soldier 

Cap 1 interior is great.  Red Skull is great.  Caps origin is great. Kirby art is great.  But 1st Joker & Catwoman trump all of that.

I still pick Cap 1 overall.

Edited by gadzukes