• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Bats 1
5 5

579 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

So in which issue was the true Red Skull introduced? Cap 3?

Ok, I should be working, but my comic obsession is such that I’m trying to figure out when the true Red Skull was first introduced.  After much research, I’ve fallen back on that epitome of wisdom known as Wikipedia.  There is FASCINATING information in there I never knew:  such as when Simon and Kirby first created Captain America, they received death threats and needed protection from the wingnuts out there.  How anyone could protest the punching of Hitler is beyond me, but I guess “nationalism” was a thing back then, just as it appears to be a thing with the current political administration.  But I digress . . .

It appears as though the real Red Skull appeared in Cap 7.  Overstreet just notes it as another “Red Skull app” without any further elaboration.  Stay tuned:  I’m going to Cap 7 next, and will post the pertinent page . . .

D2DABF09-6DCA-48E1-A476-14B3167C7464.jpeg

A02CE8B9-4B81-432E-9E93-F5BDC0E59CF0.jpeg

8 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

So in which issue was the true Red Skull introduced? Cap 3?

Ok, I’ve read Cap 7, and Red Skull just pops back in again complaining that everyone keeps underestimating him and leaving him for dead and everyone will soon regret their mistake.  No further elaboration, and same stuff as in Cap 3, really.  So it must be in later issues that the origin story is fleshed out.  Since Maxon’s name is only mentioned in Cap 1, and never in Cap 3, the later origin story(whenever that might have been published) could just as easily have identified the first true Red Skull to be in Cap 3.  But again, that paragon of wisdom, Wikipedia says the later origins point to Cap 7 as the first true Red Skull.  Not sure this all makes sense;  I fear I am obsessing again.

057088FC-2B29-4D52-9602-B6659A22B368.png

78F4E5FE-DD05-48CA-A6E2-2D70789416E3.png

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

3 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Ok, I should be working, but my comic obsession is such that I’m trying to figure out when the true Red Skull was first introduced.  After much research, I’ve fallen back on that epitome of wisdom known as Wikipedia.  There is FASCINATING information in there I never knew:  such as when Simon and Kirby first created Captain America, they received death threats and needed protection from the wingnuts out there.  How anyone could protest the punching of Hitler is beyond me, but I guess “nationalism” was a thing back then, just as it appears to be a thing with the current political administration.  But I digress . . .

It appears as though the real Red Skull appeared in Cap 7.  Overstreet just notes it as another “Red Skull app” without any further elaboration.  Stay tuned:  I’m going to Cap 7 next, and will post the pertinent page . . .

D2DABF09-6DCA-48E1-A476-14B3167C7464.jpeg

A02CE8B9-4B81-432E-9E93-F5BDC0E59CF0.jpeg

So is the red skull in cap 1 an equivalent of jay Garrick and Alan Scott ??

"While considering ideas for an appropriate archenemy for Captain America, writer and artist Joe Simon saw a hot fudge sundae melting and noticed it resembled a human figure.  Inspired Simon at first considered calling his new villain "Hot Fudge".

Let's see..... "Hot Fudge" or "Red Skull".... "Hot Fudge" or "Red Skull"..... which name will stand the test of time?

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

"While considering ideas for an appropriate archenemy for Captain America, writer and artist Joe Simon saw a hot fudge sundae melting and noticed it resembled a human figure.  Inspired Simon at first considered calling his new villain "Hot Fudge".

Let's see..... "Hot Fudge" or "Red Skull".... "Hot Fudge" or "Red Skull"..... which name will stand the test of time?

"Hot Fudge" sound like the name of a villain that would have been used in Fighting American  lol