• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Bats 1
5 5

586 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Bat 1 2.0 brittle brought $96k in Heritage.  Cap 1 3.5 off white to white brought $104k

Next auction it may go the other way . . .

I was a little surprised by the difference given the Batman 1 had the page quality issue and not the best eye appeal and the Captain America had really nice eye appeal.  

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I was a little surprised by the difference given the Batman 1 had the page quality issue and not the best eye appeal and the Captain America had really nice eye appeal.  

Gator had said above he thought a Bat 1 2.5 = Cap 1 3.0. Given the page quality issue on the Bat 1 you just pointed out, it seems more like a Bat 1.5 w normal page quality  = a Cap 3.5.

At least this week.

And it could be that some of the Cap 1 fervor went instead toward the high grade MMMCs

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

19 minutes ago, Riddler said:

Some more data points in the other direction...

cap 1 0.5 sold for $30k about a month ago on clink. 

bat 1 0.5 just hammered last night on heritage for $22k

A bit surprised at the results but I guess anything can happen

Let's compare the 2 copies shall we ? Not all 0.5s are created equal. And the Cap1 buyer likely has those missing wraps.

19183543%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

RAD2D7812018922_232221.jpg

RAD65DF62018922_232225.jpg

Edited by Gotham Kid

13 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Throw one more book in the mix, Superman 1.  Seems like the pricing order would be

Superman 1

Batman 1

Captain America 1

Which surprises me.  I know Sup 1 is the scarcest of the three, but its mostly reprints.  Before the hate mail comes in, please know I’m the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who sold his 5 years ago for what they were then going for:  not much.

1 hour ago, Riddler said:

Did NOT know about the Bats 1 0.5.!   I wouldn’t have made my post if I did.  That seems like a steal !  I also would say that this  0.5 Cap 1 is the best one out there that I’ve seen ( the other one became a qualified 4.0 I believe ) 

Edited by Chicago Boy

1 hour ago, Riddler said:

54 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Not all 0.5s are created equal.

31 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Throw one more book in the mix, Superman 1.  Seems like the pricing order would be

Superman 1

Batman 1

Captain America 1

Supe 1 0.5 (coverless) sold for  $22,000 in Sept.

Take the front cover off that Bat 1 0.5 and you're looking at a lot less $

Edited by gadzukes

Data remains mixed grade to grade.

I currently give the SLIGHT edge to Batman 1, but could easily flip back again with the consistent and relentless available copies of Batman 1 and copies of Cap 1 drying up again.

Content and cover edge still to Cap 1 by a nautical mile.

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Data remains mixed grade to grade.

I currently give the SLIGHT edge to Batman 1, but could easily flip back again with the consistent and relentless available copies of Batman 1 and copies of Cap 1 drying up again.

Content and cover edge still to Cap 1 by a nautical mile.

-J.

I was awaiting the outcome of the current Heritage auction to make my choice, and that's why I give the nod to Bat 1.  I'm a Timely fan.  My last pickup was a Cap 3.  I badly wanted Cap 1 to win this fight, but it just didn't.  Not in the Heritage duel between the two.  Although I agree that Cap 1's cover wins by a nautical mile, I can't agree about the book content.  I put them at even.  Long term, I think the Batman movies have shown resiliency thru a parade of actors.  It even survived Michael Keaton.   Batman movies will keep coming, and new Batman fans will be generated with each new movie. The resiliency of Captain America movies is untested.  Chris Evans is great, and I hope he never leaves.   But he will at some point, and then the question is whether or not the next guy will meet acceptance.  I'd like to think yes, because then just like Batman, we will continue to grow new enthusiasts.   

2c

p.s.  I just put up the :takeit: emoji to Filter81's Bat 1 this morning