• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Bats 1
5 5

579 posts in this topic

I’ll also be interested in the final hammer differential between the Cap 1 3.5 and the 7.0.  I think the lower graded books normally fetch a bit higher price per point than the higher graded books, only because there’s more bidders who swim in that end of the pool.  The fact that there’s writing on the 3.5 Cap 1(Joe Simon’s signature - which is great, for sure!) as well as a piece of tape might affect things, though. 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, I would have to say that the Qualified copy seems to present much nicer from a strict visual cover point of view. (thumbsu

It might possibly finished on top by the time it's all said and done, but at this current point in time, it's running behind by about $7K.  I guess we'll just have to wait a few more days to see which copy comes out on top in the end.  :taptaptap:

I guess collectors seem to favor brittle pages over green label,   At least at this point in the auction

55 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’ll also be interested in the final hammer differential between the Cap 1 3.5 and the 7.0.  I think the lower graded books normally fetch a bit higher price per point than the higher graded books, only because there’s more bidders who swim in that end of the pool.  The fact that there’s writing on the 3.5 Cap 1(Joe Simon’s signature - which is great, for sure!) as well as a piece of tape might affect things, though. 

I remember winning that cap 1 3.5 ss in a clink auction about 10 years ago for 14k. I imagine it will go for 8x that now?

7 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I remember winning that cap 1 3.5 ss in a clink auction about 10 years ago for 14k. I imagine it will go for 8x that now?

So, since it's only about 6X now from what you paid 10 years ago for it, I guess that means it has about another $30K upside to it before it's done.  hm

I think I would tend to agree with you here.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I remember buying a 3.0 from you for 14k about 9 years ago. 

4 minutes ago, Primetime said:
2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I remember buying a 3.0 from you for 14k about 9 years ago. 

Any chance that you made the right call and decided to hang onto it? hm

Or did you managed to convert it into some other high dollar quality books which ended up being worth even more than 8X what you had initially paid to Gator for the Cap 1?  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

44 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Or did you managed to convert it into some other high dollar quality books which ended up being worth even more than 8X what you had initially paid to Gator for the Cap 1?  :wishluck:

Sold it. Bought a Bat 1. Then sold the Bat 1 to get another Cap 1. 

1 hour ago, Primetime said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Sold it. Bought a Bat 1. Then sold the Bat 1 to get another Cap 1. 

Well, hopefully you managed to get an upgrade on your Cap 1 in the end after all this horse trading.  :wishluck:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, hopefully you managed to get an upgrade on your Cap 1 in the end after all this horse trading.  :wishluck:

With increased price points my grades have actually decreased lol  I’m fine with it. 

Got another interesting showdown in the next CC auction.  A Bat 2.0 (slightly brittle) and a Cap 2.5 (tan to offwhite).  Don’t know how significant the difference is between slightly brittle and tan, but page quality ain’t their strengths.  The Cap 1 especially seems to have good eye appeal.  Not sure how the presence of tape may affect the hammer price.

F2E1ECE9-29B0-4E6A-9D4E-FE6E1628F506.jpeg

D5DD5DFA-1B30-49A4-9831-6A0035BA4648.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

2 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Got another interesting showdown in the next CC auction.  A Bat 2.0 (slightly brittle) and a Cap 2.5 (tan to offwhite).  Don’t know how significant the difference is between slightly brittle and tan, but page quality ain’t their strengths.  The Cap 1 especially seems to have good eye appeal.

F2E1ECE9-29B0-4E6A-9D4E-FE6E1628F506.jpeg

D5DD5DFA-1B30-49A4-9831-6A0035BA4648.jpeg

My gut is, this Cap #1 should top the Batman #1 due to eye appeal, condition of the spine and superior PQ.

Batman #1 has pulled away from Cap #1, but this is more than just a .5 difference. Both great books for sure.

On 3/9/2019 at 10:16 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Must be an odd feeling to see your own books back out on the market

It’s a little weird when it’s a memorable book you owned for a long time. 

But it’s mostly just fun to see it again!