• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Bats 1
5 5

579 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Top 5 most valuable comic books based on recent pound for pound comparisons of actual prices paid for issues (per Rob's website):

1. Action 1 

2. Detective 27

3. Superman 1

4. AS 8

5. MC 1

I'm ok with this list, but isn't Bat 1 still beating MC 1?

1 minute ago, Chicago Boy said:
2 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

AS8 in 9.4 - 1

Cap1 in 9.4 - 2

Like I said. Apples and apple juice. Plus the AS 8 9.4 is highest graded ( known ) 

Yes ofc AS8 9.4 single highest graded

10 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Like I said. Apples and apple juice. Plus the AS 8 9.4 is highest graded ( known ) 

AS 8 9.4 is highest graded.  But, the Mile High copy sold in 1995 for $70K.  Is that DA's?  Or does he have an even better copy?

Edited by sfcityduck

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The market is volatile and its an art form.  I'm ok with moving Batman 1 up above MC 1, but I pesonally think the best MC 1 would go higher than the best Batman 1.  

I think Verzyl's copy would bring more than the current 9.2 Bat #1 also. But against the Dentist copy, I'm not so sure it would win (even if it should).

13 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

AS 8 9.4 is highest graded.  But, the Mile High copy sold in 1995 for $70K.  Is that DA's?  Or does he have an even better copy?

I’m not sure the MH is expected to be higher.  I don’t think it is. 

Edited by Chicago Boy

9 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

MH AS 3 is a 9.6.  But, anyone know a story that DA sold his AS 3 to Overstreet, got a free ad in the OPG to find a replacement, and ended up scoring a better copy?  

9 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

maybe not higher, but very likely equal.

AS #1 9.6, #3 9.6, #5 9.4, #6 9.6, #10 9.6, #11 9.6 - why wouldn't the #8 be expected to fit right in with those grades?

8 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

maybe not higher, but very likely equal.

AS #1 9.6, #3 9.6, #5 9.4, #6 9.6, #10 9.6, #11 9.6 - why wouldn't the #8 be expected to fit right in with those grades?

Can’t say one way or another for sure. I thought from what I heard it wasn’t as hi but I don’t recall for sure.  Regardless , a Lone known 9.4 highest single graded trumps a tied for second graded Cap 1 

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

Regardless , a Lone known 9.4 highest single graded trumps a tied for second graded Cap 1 

At or near the million $ mark, I suspect that a book being the "highest CGC graded" is not that big a factor when other un-certified high grade copies are known to exist.  For example, I don't think Hariri was ignorant of the MH Action 1 when he bought the two 9.0 Action 1s. I am sure he (and his advisor Fishler) knew that they were, as you put it, "tied for second."  He wasn't paying for the "best copy," he was paying for the "best available copy" (in his case twice) for the foreseeable future.  Same was true for the buyers of the CA 9.4 and the AS 8 9.4.   Other high grade copies are known, but those were the best available for the foreseeable future.  The value of the 9.4 CA 1 would not be greater if the Allentown still remained ungraded, so long as the Allentown was still regarded as the "best known" (which it was long before it was graded). 

Edited by sfcityduck

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The market is volatile and its an art form.  I'm ok with moving Batman 1 up above MC 1, but I pesonally think the best MC 1 would go higher than the best Batman 1.  

for what it's worth, two entry level MC1s recently sold privately and at a con: one was well over $40k+ a point and the other was an entry level copy for just under $40K. 

Edited by Primetime

50 minutes ago, Primetime said:

for what it's worth, two entry level MC1s recently sold privately and at a con: one was well over $40k+ a point and the other was an entry level copy for just under $40K. 

Interesting.  What were the grades ? 

1 hour ago, Primetime said:

The Bat 1 went for $40k pp, which I actually thought was low.  I think of it as a $50k pp book.

The Cap 1 I also think of as a $30k pp point book, and that's pretty close to what it went for here.  Maybe $28k pp

35 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The Bat 1 went for $40k pp, which I actually thought was low.  I think of it as a $50k pp book.

The Cap 1 I also think of as a $30k pp point book, and that's pretty close to what it went for here.  Maybe $28k pp

I will probably get B-slapped myself for saying it, but I thought the Batman 1 was a little weak with the spine splits

Edited by batman_fan